Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Places outside Bahamas like Staniel Cay for honeymoon?

Jan 28th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

My friend had a wonderful time at Staniel Cay with his girlfriend last year and now they're gonna get married. For the honeymoon he's looking for something like it, but new. He loved the low-key privacy of Staniel Cay, the cottages with water views, and the fact they'd pack a lunch for them when they took out the little motor boats available for personal use to little cays for fun and fishing.

Is there anything similar outside of the Bahamas? I think he's looking for an All Inclusive deal. What about places in Turks and Caicos, BVI/USVI, Anguilla, or St. Lucia? I realize from the map that outside the Bahamas there are not so many little cays and sandy archipelagos which make for that kind of boating, but I thought I'd ask cause he absolutely loved it. Like I said, I think they're looking for something romantic, low-key and private without throngs of other honeymooners. They'll be going in late May.

Thank you very much for any ideas. Great forum!
Jan 29th, 2012, 01:42 AM

runawayhill.com www.briland.com romantic my fav
www.valentinesdive.com Angela's Starfish Restaurant
pinksandsresort.com for more upscale.
Spanish Wells nearby even more remote but pretty.
Abacos Man O War Cay or Treasure Cay a bit more touristic.

Congrats!
Jan 29th, 2012, 05:04 AM

FYI low key privacy and all inclusive don't go hand in hand. AI caters to masses, which is why prices are more affordable.

There are places that include meals like that, just don't include drinks.

They are also many different budgets.

Palm Island is AI and similar to staniel cay, only it's in hilly islands not flat ones. Gorgeous views similar to Tahiti, rustic rooms and go boat hopping through the grenadines. (not on your own, but able to day trip to numerous little islands).

Petit St Vincent similar, and they even pack you a lunch and hop over to Mopion, a sand spit with umbrella and stunning views (goggle it it's gorgeous)

Any others that come to mind are not AI, so if they get rid of that requirement I'll list some.
Some do include meal plans, just not drinks.

Budget helps too, because the places with individual bungalows on the beach most are in pretty high price points.
Jan 29th, 2012, 06:04 AM

Well, individual cottages on the water + boats to take out to explore on your own + meals included = Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda. It's definitely high-end, but it offers the seclusion you're looking for, and all meals are included while drinks are not.
Jan 29th, 2012, 08:48 AM

I would suggest that they think about a crewed yacht charter. I realize that having a crew aboard doesn't sound very private, but the crews can be discrete and nearly invisible, except when serving up gourmet meals and cocktails. The crew will help them island-hop to their heart's content, dropping them on private beaches at their whim. The British Virgin Islands are perfect for that.

Alternatively, there are other properties in the Exumas besides Staniel Cay (and even Staniel Cay now has a few new cottages). Sampson Cay Club might be a little more upscale than Staniel Cay, and has stunning beaches. There is also Fowl Cay. The Abacos offer island-hopping as well, but like the Exumas, not a whole lot of "upscale." There are, however, "old school" clubby resorts like Green Turtle Club and Bluff House on Green Turtle Cay, and the Abaco Inn on Elbow Cay.
Jan 29th, 2012, 09:32 AM

as ej says they should look at biras creek , better weather in may than bahamas.
another option is: www.capesantamaria.com but is on long island, bahamas.
friends of mine loved palm island. very private & romantic. boat trips to some of best snorkeling in the caribbean at tobago cays.
Jan 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

I spent a few hours on the forum last night reading threads, so I already know of some of you. Thanks to everyone for the replies, they're fantastic, and this forum is a great resource. I'd love to someday do some extensive sailing throughout the Carrib., but that's another subject. I'm gonna pass along your many ideas. Others welcome. Blamona makes some good points. Yes, maybe be open to AI and non AI from the high end down.
Jan 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

that's "Carib."
Jan 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM

Hi stu_m,
I second Cape Santa Maria on Long Island, Bahamas. It's stunning. We were there a few years ago. They could stay in a beach bungalow or one of the very upscale villas on the beach. They all share the hotel's restaurant, but the villas have full gorgeous kitchens as well. The beach there is the best I've seen as far as blinding white sand and clear aqua water. My trip report w/pictures is here for reference and things to do on Long Island:
http://www.fodors.com/community/cari...ort-223-32.cfm

They could also look into Parrot Cay, Turks & Caicos. Blamona could comment more on this as I haven't been here, but it looks very upscale, and they could do private lunches on deserted white sand cays. I believe it's pretty $$$ though.

Another would be Guana Island or Peter Island in the British Virgin Islands, both cater to couples and are a ferry ride to get to from St. Thomas.

If they wanted something more rustic and directly on the beach, Caneel Bay on St. John would be nice too, and they could day trip to the surrounding islands easily (same goes w/day-tripping from Guana or Peter Islands). You can rent dinghies for the day too and explore the beaches on your own. Soggy Dollar and the Baths are always a must do as well for a day trip.

If St. Lucia is on their radar, and they have a large budget, Jade Mountain looks amazing! We stayed at Stonefield Resort which is near there, which was also beautiful, but not to the over the top luxury of Jade Mountain if they want that sort of thing. There's lots to do on St. Lucia, and they can take water taxis around, but you can't island hop easily by water here unless you take a day trip via puddle jumper to St. Vincent (which our friends did).

Another thought if they don't mind cooking, is to rent a villa that comes with a boat -that opens a whole other world of possibilities. We were actually just looking at this one for our upcoming trip, but ended up deciding to stay on Tortola. This is a private villa with boat, so they would use the boat as their car for the week around the BVIs.
It's on Great Camanoe, a small island off of Tortola and Virgin Gorda, which comes with a boat and is walking distance to the dock/beach:
http://www.vrbo.com/348507?similarlisting=true
They would have to take the boat anywhere they go but it's a 1 minute boat ride to Pussers on Marina Cay, 5 minutes to Trellis Bay on Beef, and 20 minute boat ride to the baths and the other smaller islands in that area. And from the sound of it, they really enjoy the boating aspect.

ps-good to know they loved Staniel Cay. We're going there July 2013-looks amazing!
Jan 29th, 2012, 05:10 PM

I'm the honeymooner. I appreciate the thoughtful advice and will follow up on each suggestion. One clarification regarding all inclusive. Just looking to not have to cook or spend much time planning where to eat. I've tried all-you-can-drink many times, and I doubt it's any better when the drinks are free. Not sure if that distinction creates other options, as indicated by Blamona. Overall, would be nice to see a different part of the Caribbean, and maybe go a little more upscale than Staniel, without losing the sense of independence and discovery we enjoyed there. Thanks again.
Feb 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM

If you like low key, gorgeous beaches and looking at high end, consider Anguilla, especially Cap Juluca