Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Pkg at Ocean Club or on our own at RWI? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/pkg-at-ocean-club-or-on-our-own-at-rwi-581679/)

10AnnivTrip Jan 14th, 2006 04:39 PM

Pkg at Ocean Club or on our own at RWI?

We are trying to decide between a 4 night package at Ocean club that includes meal certificates for 3 each bfast, lunch & dinner, or just going on our own at RWI. Any thoughts? I think RWI is walking distance to some shops/restaurants, which appeals to us, but the Gecko shuttle seems like it would work too. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

KVR Jan 14th, 2006 04:50 PM

Though I can not answer your question, I was intrigued by the meal plan offered by Ocean Club you mentioned. We have avoided T & C due to the high cost of rooms along with meals/drinks. Would you please elaborate?

blamona Jan 15th, 2006 03:37 AM

If you were staying 1 week, and got the 3 day meal plan, I would say go for it! If the meal plan lasts the whole time you're there, go for RWI. there are some great restaurants in Provo you shouldn't miss: Hemmingways at the Sands, Magnolia's and Tiki Hut at Turtle Cove. Lunches are good at OCEast, but while Geckos is good, it's not one of my favorites. Breakfast at Saltmills Cafe is excellent and an excellent deal! ($9 for 2 eggs, lots of bacon, sausage, toast, and great homemade potatoes.)

virginia Jan 15th, 2006 06:32 AM

my personal choice would be rwi with no meal plan. as blamona said there are many wonderful restaurants on provo. and going to find them will give you a chance to see the island a bit.
also all the rooms at rwi (and probably oc too - can you do oc w/out the meal plan - a/or can you stay at ocwest which is supposed to be a little nicer according to many posters on fodors) are condo with full kitchen. thus a quick stop at the grocery could save you plenty. take your own coffee and cereal...
gecko shuttle seems to work fine for ppl, but i have never used it. gecko grille is ok but not great.
blamona where is the saltmills restaurant? going in march with someone who loves to eat breakfast out. i will lie happily on our beach with my morning caffine while they go!!!
kvr, as almost all the rooms on provo are condo it tends to be less expensive than you expect. when we go we stay in a villa. we take a cooler and shop on island as well. we eat out approx half the nights. not a known thing, like ai, but we are definetly on a budget too. we like to cocktail at the house even if we are going out to eat, thus saving a couple more bucks.

Gin Jan 15th, 2006 07:24 AM

I agree with Blamona, if you are going for a week on the OCW package, I would go with that over RWI. You will then have enough nights to try some of the other restaurants. If you will only be there for four nights, I would not go with a meal plan - too restrictive. Both resorts are within walking distance to some restaurants, although it is an easier walk from OCW.

blamona Jan 15th, 2006 11:58 AM

Virginia, Saltmills Cafe is in Saltmills plaza, across the street from Renaissance, or next to Danny Bouoys Pub.