Where, oh where, should we honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting married in June. My fiance and I live on the East Coast and plan to spend 7-9 days in the Caribbean. I am interested in Turks and Caicos or Anguilla and my fiance is interested in St. Lucia or Cozumel (for the snorkeling). Although our tastes are different, we agree on a number of criteria for our honeymoon:

--Daily snorkeling
--Beautiful beaches
--Daily itinerary: eat, snorkel, get massages, relax and do the other things honeymooners do :}).
--we want to visit an island where the people and its visitors have a laid back attitude (not interested in hanging out in places with either the rich and famous, nor are we interested in gambling, touristy shops, bar hopping, etc.)
--Would like an island that's somewhat off the beaten bath that does not primarily cater to Americans (we want a place that feels like the Caribbean, if that makes sense).

Unlike most of our vacations, for our honeymoon we would like to stay at an all-inclusive (that fits the above criteria). We don't want to have to think about where we are going to eat, how much anything costs, etc. We don't want to have to think much at all.

Which of the four locations above best meets our criteria? What all-inclusives on these islands would you recommend?

Old Apr 25th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Not to add more destinations to your list, but did either of you consider St. John? It would be a nice quiet island with many great beaches for snorkling, and if you stay at Caneel Bay Resort, I'm sure you can get the luxury services, like spa treatments included as well. Additionally, it's almost May, and if you're looking to go in June, you should probably book soon. In St. John the low season just started, so you might have good success in booking too. Good Luck! Trish
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Trish! My fiance and I were just talking about St. John last night.
You are right--we need to make a decision quick. Time is creeping up on us.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 08:32 AM

How about the split between Caneel and Little Dix Bay? Also think more broadly about the BVI - Biras Creek and Guana Island. Anguilla also seems like a good match.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 10:46 AM

I agree the BVI's are nice, but they do have lots of people and prices. Check out my response to #2 above. Curt
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 10:50 AM

Oops, I guess I should have referred you to "Where to stay in the Bahamas" . I just notice the change the numbers.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 06:23 PM

I second the vote for St. John. Just went there last month and fell absolutely in love with it. So much that I am planning my wedding there. Caneel Bay resort is beautiful and you will love it. I would rent a jeep if I were you because the island is small enough you must see everything.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:37 AM

We just got back from the most amazing island and wonderful resort - both fit your criteria perfectly.

Check out the island of Grenada and Bel Air Plantation. The island is laid back, unspoiled and just spectacular. Bel Air Plantation is a small villa resort with luxury accommodations but with the feel of the real Caribbean. Beautiful setting and a great restaurant.

Our honeymoon there was about as perfect as it gets!

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:39 AM

I agree with the votes for Grenada - it is lush with beautiful beaches laid back anv wonderful people...not St.Lucia which is great but not many good beaches...and the people are a little more up tight there...plus Castries is a scary big town...not like lovely safe St.Georges in Grenada...but don't go AI in Grenada get the breakfast deal somewhere so you can relax and have breakie then see the restaurants becuase they will take your breath away and they love Honeymooners...
Old May 1st, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Grenada wasn't even on my radar screen but I will tell my fiance to look into the Bel Air Plantation. I have been so busy planning the wedding that I haven't had time to do the research that I like to do before a trip (thank goodness for Fodors). We plan to make a decision this week. I will let you all know where we decide. Thanks again!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:45 AM

I well remember the wedding planning stress as for me it was only a year and a bit ago - how exciting for you...and you will be so happy in the Caribbean after pouring over your stories of your fab. wedding - to help with Grenada as an option....

for sheer information - www.grenadaexplorer.com
for travel forum of this website with many very helpful members to ask...
www.grenadatravelforum.com

Have fun!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:43 AM

Any Sandals has what you want. Snorkeling, sailboats, waterskiing, scuba, are all included at no extra charge, as often as you want. It is quiet if you want, or active if you want. The spa is great with many services. We like Antigua and St Lucia. There are 4 or 5 restaurants in Antigua Sandals, and more at St Lucia particularly because you can use all 3 properties with an hourly shuttle service. I agree, we also did not want to have to think or plan where to eat on our honeymoon.
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

We have finally made our decision--and of course it's none of the options we originally considered. We are going to the Dominican Republic for 7 days and are staying at Secrets. We got more for our money there and it's close to the East Coast. I am very excited.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:40 PM

Dear Allabout,
Have a wonderful time. I know you will!
Toppy
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:10 PM

you'll love it. Very romantic. One piece of advice, Bring Mosquito/Bug-Repellant.