Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Pimms or Malliouhana Restaurant - which one is better? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/pimms-or-malliouhana-restaurant-which-one-is-better-182792/)

Cindy Jan 20th, 2003 01:20 PM

Pimms or Malliouhana Restaurant - which one is better?

Had heard alot of great reviews (Fodors, Frommers, Wine Spectator) about Malliouhana restaurant but recently reading some traveler reviews that it's not as good as the reviews say - snooty and way overpriced for what you get - is this true? How does it compare to Pimms, Santorini?? Thanks.

penny Jan 20th, 2003 02:13 PM

Malliouhana is not snooty, it is a lovely setting, the staff is just more reserved than some other spots. We have had superb meals there, and will dine there again! We were there in April the meal was good, but not as good as we had in the past. So, this November we skipped it. <BR>Pimms has a wonderful waterfront setting, it was excellent on this trip. Skipped it in April. Had not been to Santorini in April, the past April we dined there twice. This fall the meal was outstanding. We prefer the terrace setting, NOT the interior room. Its not on the water but does overlook the infinity pool. All 3 are top spots on the island. I would suggest you browse<BR>the menus at each, and then decide! The prices are about the same! Not an easy choice!

sheila Jan 21st, 2003 03:54 AM

One way to look at it is that Malliouhana is &quot;old money - style&quot; and Cap Juluca and Cuisinart Art are new money. Not being snobby, there are plenty of movie stars and the like who love M, but it's not as f;ashy as the other places. <BR>(God, I know I'm going to get roasted with replies to this!!)

sheila Jan 21st, 2003 03:55 AM

Sorry, that should have been flashy!

penny Jan 21st, 2003 04:40 AM

Sheila you made me laugh! Fyi, non other than Howard Stern frequents Malli!<BR>Real old money, huh. If you are talking about accomodations, I prefer to be on the beach, right at my doorstep! Cap meets my criteria! Have stayed at all 3!! Now, Cindy asked about dining! Lots of choices on this island! Excellent question as to which<BR>spot! You cannot go wrong, Malli has the most extensive wine cellar, the others are not far behind!

star101192 Feb 12th, 2003 07:46 AM

We went to Anguilla in November. We ate at all 3 restaurants. Malliouhana was the most expensive and least enjoyable. The food was good but not great. The service was fair. At Pimm's we were welcomed like old friends. The setting was very nice. The food was also good but not great with very small portions ($36 for 5 scallops?). Santorini (Cuisinart) was our favorite. The food was excellent, the portions were too large and the staff was very sharp and accomodating. In fact, the chef came out on 2 occasions to welcome the guests and get feedback. <BR>None of these restuarants are inexpensive....but, overall, we felt we got the most for our money at Santorini.