Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   pictures from T&C (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/pictures-from-t-and-c-762997/)

blamona Jan 22nd, 2009 02:15 PM

pictures from T&C

I was in T&C Dec. 14th through Jan. 14th. As you all can see, water nice and gorgeous and inviting. Feel free to ask questions.

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...view=slideshow

dlundgren Jan 22nd, 2009 03:26 PM

Stunning photos. What camera?

Caribzack Jan 22nd, 2009 03:51 PM

Fantastic photos...as you know, we just got back too, makes me "TCI Sick"

blamona Jan 22nd, 2009 03:54 PM

Caribzack: I'm sure we crossed paths!
dlundgren: Canon 40D I used to use Canon Rebel. The biggest secret for the colors to pop is a rotating polorizer filter-like "sunglasses" for the camera.

emcash Jan 22nd, 2009 04:40 PM

Blamona- THANK YOU! i can't wait to get there!

dlundgren Jan 23rd, 2009 05:32 AM

blamona: Thanks! We've recently moved up from point & shoot (after I broke the third one in three years) to a Nikon D40 and are loving it. I had intended to get a polarizing filter before we go to Jamaica in March... I will now get one today.

dave

pijeta Jan 23rd, 2009 07:48 AM

AWESOME photos! Thanks for sharing :)

TPAYT Jan 23rd, 2009 10:06 AM

What gorgeous photos to look at on this dreary, cold day in Wisconsin.

We leave 5 wks. from tomorrow for the "Ocean Club West" on Grace Bay. But who's counting!

I appreciate all of your tips on TCI.

The pool at the "Regent Palms" looks gorgeous. We'll check it out when we're there for the future. How's the restaurant there?

New question---On your recommendation we would like to hear Daniel & Nadine when we are there. I copied the schedule of their appearances that you posted.

Do they sing in the dinner restaurants while you are eating, or is their performance in the cocktail lounge? Also, as first time viewers, which place would be the best to go?

Katie_H Jan 23rd, 2009 11:47 AM

Thanks for posting---I was in Provo this time two years ago...(boo hoo it's cold here in NYC)

I stayed at the Sibonne:
http://www.fodors.com/world/caribbea...ew-138137.html

That water is unbelievable isn't it? I loved snorkeling at Coral Gardens too.. saw a giant stingray.

Thanks for the hint about the filter; I should get one of those for my canon rebel dslr. Googled around and saw this blog post--some good info here for others interested in them:
http://digital-photography-school.co...filters#high_1

ElaineF Jan 23rd, 2009 07:30 PM

Amazing shots of Provo!!!!

LVAMY Jan 23rd, 2009 10:46 PM

Blamona,
As you invited questions I am asking. We have been going to Hawaii a few weeks every year for the last 8 and have decided to expand our horizons this year. We are planning a week at Beaches, has mixed reviews but the 50% off special is too good of a deal to pass up, esp. with 15 year old who would be happy playing video games giving us plenty of alone time. Want too spend extra time on island as might be only time here, how much extra exploring this island would you suggest a couple days or a week. Is it safe to go all over by yourself, I know some islands aren't, but this one is suppose to be safe(not meaning to offend anyone here). Would there be a lot to see on this one island? After the week at beaches we will be good with beach and ocean time, interested in other sites if many to explore.
Thanks so much for any info.
Amy

caribtraveler Jan 24th, 2009 04:45 AM

Great pics!

blamona Jan 25th, 2009 05:32 AM

TPAYT: The lunch at Plunge at Palms is really good-but warning=on the expensive side. If you have a car, check out Daniel and Nadine first at Da Conch Shack, you may want to follow them around a bit. Technically you could walk to O'Soleil on Fri night-but I'm not a big proponent of walking ANYWHERE in the dark in any country, including where I live in VA. Having said that, T&C is an extremely safe island overall. If you have a car, I'd see them at all 3! Best advice, if you're only there certain days of the week, then that's the one that wins!
;-)

Amy: It's a tiny island-only 17 miles long and most places only 1 mile wide. You could actually do your exploring while you are at Beaches. You can rent a car for the day, Chalk Sound is do not miss--you will never see water so turquoise in your life again, it's actually surreal. Close by is Sapadilla Bay and Taylor Bay, both are thigh deep water for hundreds of yards, it's always like a giant wading pool. Makes a great spot to pack a picnic for the beach. Malcolm's Beach is another great beach, just the ride to it is an adventure. (high clearance car required) West Harbour Bay, wade out to Osprey Rock, there is a cave. It used to be a pirates cave. In it is a ladder and rope to climb on top the rock. You can hike down the rocks looking for pirates carvings on the rocks-reputed to be treasure maps. Most are dated from 1700-1800's. Depending when you go, the Conch Farm is different. There is also The Hole, which is , a huge hole in the middle of nowhere, located in Long Bay. Proceed with caution, although there is a sign to it, it happens suddenly-don't fall in!

Other exploring is off of Provo-but can be done as day trips from Provo. At Beaches, you can take the Kit Cat (in the posted pictures) to Half Moon Bay, which is stunning. The cays are a fun way to spend the day, and there are serveral excursion companies that will take you. Iguana Island (really called Little Water Cay) has 2000 indiginous iguanas to look for. Ft. George is a fun place to snorkel for sand dollars. You can snorkel the world's largest barrier reef. You can dive in waist high water for conch, and you can bring the shell back home with you.

Overall in general, T&C is about the water-the most gorgeous in the world, so all activities are water based. The interior of the island is nothing special, and there are no real towns. Blue Hills area looks like a typical Caribbean area, with beach bar shacks linning the beach.

You could really explore the other Caicos islands, you can ferry over to North Caicos, snorkel at Three Mary Cays, drive over to Middle Caicos (rental car at North required) explore the cave where pirates used to hide (look for bats!) then hike around Mondjin Harbor which is stunning.

You could also explore on a day trip Grand Turk, but it does require a flight from Provo. (25 minutes) There you can stroll Front Street, the way the Caribbean used to be, swim with stingrays at Gibbs Cay, and shop at the cruise port. See the lighthouse, and the old prison. This trip though, depends when you go-they received some damage from 2 hurricanes in Sept.

You could day trip to Salt Cay, flight required again. If you are traveling between now and April-is one of the best places in the world for whale watching. Sometimes they get so close you can snorkel/swim with them! That's an adventure!

LVAMY Jan 28th, 2009 01:49 PM

Thanks Blamona

valerie Feb 2nd, 2009 08:59 AM

Blamona, those pictures are amazing!

I am planning a trip for my husbands's 40th birthday which is in December (want to decide on destination now so I can book flights using miles). I am considering T&C or possibly Anguilla.

We love snorkeling and my husband loves scuba diving (I like it, he loves it). We are not certified, but have been diving a few times in Grand Cayman and St. John.

I've done some searching and I know that there is plenty of snorkeling to be found, but do you have any idea if either island would be better for relatively beginner diving? Our trip will probably be for 6 days, so I guess he will want to dive 2 times.

Budget not such an issue. We don't get to take a trip without kids that often, so we will make the most of it when the opportunity arises, plus using miles helps cut costs.

Thanks for any information...your other posts have been very informative so far!