Notices

Phone call from Grand Cayman

Oct 31st, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Phone call from Grand Cayman

Hey all,

A question...to call from GC to the US, can I use a calling card I bought in the US or does it have to be one I buy in GC? If so, what are the rates?

I know my cell phone will work but it will cost $1.49/minute, so I will save that for emergencies.

I was curious because I thought i read that I couldn't use a US calling card.

Thanks!
Oct 31st, 2007, 05:38 PM

You can buy a calling card on island for a lot less than $1.49 per minute, rent a phone (from Kfone or similar) on island (that way your family and friends can call you at their lower rate).

If you plan to talk a lot, stay somewhere with WiFi and use Skype (free).

Some hotels have also stopped ripping people on calls (mine charges a flat US$1 per minute, I don't think that is too bad for in room convenience).

Whatever you do, don't use 1-800-CALL-ATT or similar, it can work out at $$$$ (and that is consistent across the Caribbean).
Oct 31st, 2007, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom.

Where can you buy the calling cards? Grocery stores..airport?
Oct 31st, 2007, 07:34 PM

Basically you can buy the cards at many gas stations, convenience stores, supermarkets etc... although beware, hotels may charge a connection fee, so you may have to use a payphone.

If you really want to make lots of calls and don't want to use Skype, I'd really suggest renting a local cellphone, or perhaps just buying a prepaid one.

A smart long term investment may be to get an unlocked multi-frequency phone, then just buy a prepaid SIM where you travel.

Search this Thread