Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Peter Island....would older teens be happy here during summer? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/peter-island-would-older-teens-be-happy-here-during-summer-338487/)

katiekate Jul 18th, 2003 11:19 AM

Peter Island....would older teens be happy here during summer?

We are considering taking our kids (ages 15/19)to Peter Island. Looking for great beaches, snorkling and lots of water activites. Nice pool, too.
Do you think teens would like it? Other teens there? Or is it mostly adults only?
Any info. would be appreciated.

mjmre2 Jul 18th, 2003 11:29 AM

Hi- just read both of your posts. Althugh I can't speak for Peter Island, I can attest to your concerns for older teens. I have an 18 and a 20 year old and are taking them to Aruba next week. Am also concerned that there won't be anyone for them to hang out with. However, I have read the both of them the riot act and laid the big guilt trip on them which is: Can't you guys have fun with your parents?
Well, there's a novel thought. I'll post what happens when we get back on Aug. 2nd.
Hope we ALL have great trips!

ScubaMom Jul 18th, 2003 04:34 PM

Our 19 year old daughter went with me to PEter Island and loved it. Lots for teens to do there - learn to sail or windsurf, play tennis, take a mountain bike ride, go out with Paradise Watersports for a snorkeling trip to some world class reefs full of fish to name a few.

Have fun!

mrplum Jul 18th, 2003 07:59 PM

I disagree,PI is more of a honeymoon destination.Not many kids of any age.Unless your kid can keep herself amused with watersports she might get bored quickly.

redwolf Aug 18th, 2003 10:53 AM

Just returned from Peter Island. You will all be surprised to hear that there were an unusually high number of families there with teens and also with younger children. And in each case, the children and teens were self-contained and able to enjoy their time with their siblings and parents. Most, but not all, were British. I think this does occur at Peter Island in August with many British families on holiday. There were also some honeymooners at the resort and none seemed to mind the children because they were quiet, well disciplined and kept to themselves. Children being there did not in any way detract from any couples' vacation. So my answer would be, depends on the kind of kids you have. If they need organized activities, then go to a resort that has kids' activities. Otherwise, Peter Island is a great family destination with time for kids to hang out with their parents and with each other and enjoy an incredible variety of water sports and activities. One detraction for kids and some parents: no TV. The resort can rent you (free of charge) a TV with VCR and tape rental or else, bring your own protable DVD player.