Reload this Page >

Peter Island Resort or Biras Creek for Honeymoon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Lynn

I have ready many great comments on Peter Island and Biras Creek and am having a difficult time deciding which place would be nicest for a romantic honeymoon. How is the water at each location (i.e. calm, clear)? Any thoughts on either resort to help me make this decision would be appreciated.

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 06:04 AM
Joel

They're different. A couple of points about their difference might help. Regarding BC, their beach is very beautiful due to its setting in a deep, mountainous bay. Beautiful soft, white sand. Calm waters. IMO better than PIR's. <BR>On the other hand, I found BC's rooms less to my liking because there was no way to get out of the sun on the verandah.<BR>On the plus side, the dining at BC is outrageously good. Equally important, the setting---high, high up on a hill in a sort of castle with views in all directions is spectacular.<BR>I like the ease of going to Tortola from PIR. They have their own direct transportation and Tortola is a hop, skip, and a jump from shopping on St. Thomas, St. John, etc. It's much less easy to get to any of these from BC, but if you're looking for a resort experience itself, then that wouldn't matter.<BR>PIR takes in a lot more guests. It has a bit of hustle and bustle, a sense of crowding, which I don't care for. BC has more of a feeling of being a castaway in a tropical paradise, for those who prefer that. Everything is arranged for privacy. All a matter of taste which you prefer.<BR>BC seems to annoy some seniors based on their novel use of personal bicycles for their guests to tour about on. The ride to the beach is about a half mile, which I found energizing. <BR>All in all, both are fine resorts. Both feature a unique level of privacy and even a level of isolation.<BR>Last, BC is a part of Virgin Gorda meaning that if you want to go touring, then VG is the most accessible stomping ground. To me, putting it bluntly, VG sux. PIR, while across the sound from Tortola, nevertheless accesses Tortola as readily as BC accesses VG. Tortola is much more interesting.<BR>So, Lynn, those are some comparisons. I hope it makes your job of choosing a resort easier, but pls don't tell me you've decided it's too tough to decide so you're going to New Jersey!!!

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 06:46 AM
Karen

LOL! Just had friends go thru NJ on the way to the BVI! The connections thru EWR were easiest for them! Go figure. You don't want to come to NJ!! LOL <BR><BR>Both are wonderful choices and you can't go wrong with either. I too have trouble choosing and I do it by elimination.<BR><BR>I loved Biras but, after the initial fun wore off, found the three-quarters of a mile bike ride a bit of a hassle (and I am a pretty active almost senior!). But then, I am up at the crack of dawn swimming before breakfast, then back for breakfast so we made that trip lots of times, back for lunch on days that there was no beach lunch, and again at dinner! I love the beach just footsteps from the room and bed anywhere I go. The beach there is smaller than PIR's and less "busy" since there are fewer daytrippers and fewer guests. Some of the best snorkling I found in the BVI was at Biras' beach. PIR offers you not only wonderful Deadman's Bay but White Bay which gets much less traffic and is lovely. The picnic lunches delivered there are wonderful! The restaurant is as Joel describes it at Biras and it is open air while they have enclosed and a/c'ed Tradewinds at PIR. Tradewinds, because of the ease between PIR and Tortola, again gets more traffic especially on "buffet" ntie. I loved the ability to putt about in the complimentary Boston Whalers at Biras. PIR does have the Deadman's Beach "Bar," really a lovely casual restaurant as an option also. I really have no desire to head elsewhere (nothing on Tortola calls to me and when you are at a wonderful beach, a wonderful spot, why bother?). I understand that there has been some changes in the restaurant at PIR and it is improved. Don't know that it can compete with Biras tho since I haven't been since the "change" in ownership or the changes in the restaurant. I absolutely loved the beachfront rooms at PIR, spacious and roomy (due for a major redo of the baths this Fall) with screens to open. The "outdoor" showers at Biras were nice as were their units and I did not have any trouble with lack of shade or anything in the oceanview rooms! It's hard to pick which was the bigger as the sitting area is seperate from the bedroom area and the "porch" out in front at Biras while the beachfront rooms at PIR have french doors that open to the patio where you can have your early morning coffee and co. breakfast! I love sun and don't go to the Carib to sit in the shade but my dh had no problem with the afternoon sun in the oceanview rooms which he usually heads for midafternoon(I was seldom there but usually at the beach!). The water at both is calm and lovely but I suspect if there is any "weather" the beach at PIR is more subject to the idiosyncries of it while Biras is more cove-like and protected. I found a mix of more Europeans at Biras than I did at PIR and really enjoyed the evening predinner coctail hour with complimentary tasters a treat at Biras! But that beautiful expanse of beach at Deadman's is hard to beat! <BR>Tuff choice! Wish there was one little terrible thing to report on either that could sway you ... but ... alas! there isn't!

Old Jul 1st, 2001, 06:59 AM
Karen

LOL! My dh just reminded me that when we were at Biras they had those horrible uncomfortable molded plastic chaises on the beach that if you sit on them for any length of time, your fanny goes numb! We solved that by using the floats as cushions! They might have changed them. Hope so! See, we each pick out what's important to us and I never remember that until he reminds me! I do remember lying on a float for hours watching the rays swim under me one day!

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Lynn

Thanks so much for the responses. Any feedback on BeachFront Rooms? I hear the first floor rooms are nice, but the sound of the air conditioners prevents you from hearing the ocean lapping on the beach at night? Also, any preference on which BeachFront building to stay in?

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 10:35 AM
Karen

We did not choose to have the a/c on but the thumps of the compressors off and on were at first very disconcerting. Don't know why they placed 'em so close to the rooms and really right at the headboard! I don't know that they interfered with the "ocean and nature noises" since it was the thump on and off that I noticed. We did get used to it tho! I think that when we return for another visit, I might try the second story because of that but think you would still hear the thumps just not as loudly! But I did like that patio and being able to walk right out to the hammock and the beach! The lower numbers start at the far end and get higher as they get closer to the beach area. In front of the first building there was very little grass/land and you walked down a few steps to the boardwalk that runs in front of the rooms. The highest number, the last building, was the closest to walking right on to the beach from the room.

Old Jul 17th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Mary

Would either of these resorts be too quiet for us thirtysomething people who enjoy some nightlife and a somewhat active resort? Is it extremely laid back and quiet?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Mary

Anybody?

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Louis

To Mary: <BR> <BR>I think both may be too quiet for you.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Karen

"too quiet?" I've haven't found one yet that is for me. If you enjoy sitting on a beautiful beach with a great book, sunning and turning regularly to ensure an even tan, good food, personal service with the option of lots of water sports, sailing, snorkling, diving, trips to other locations, hiking (or biking and putting around in a Whaler in Biras' case) you will enjoy. "Nite life" would be sitting by the bar for an early nitecap, maybe some low key live music and, even better, a great bottle of wine on your patio or beach and spending some real "quality" time with your partner then they may be for you. If you want "organized" activity, jeeping about, the "party scene" with a lively crowd and excitement such as booze cruises and the like, maybe you'd better look elsewhere.

Old Jul 18th, 2001, 05:56 PM
Karen

I just rec'd an email from scubamom aka lynn of scubamom.com who reviews many of the great BVI resorts! Her daughter just put up her site, www.scubatreks.com which has some wonderful pix of PIR!! Of course, Biras doesn't have a similiar one other than at scubamom.com but what a great site!! Hope, if she reads this, she doesn't mind my jumping the gun!!

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:14 AM
Joel

Regarding "too quiet". Biras has a band a few nights a week for some dancing, but I agree with Louis and Karen that both resorts are very quiet. "Nightlife" describes neither; "laid back" does. But for nightlife I think you'd find the BVI not to your liking. Other BVI resorts are almost entirely less luxurious, but none really has what one calls nightlife. To remain in that part of the Caribbean and find nightlife, I'd switch to the USVI and one of the fine resorts there. <BR>On the other hand, if you stay on Tortola, you can access nightlife off-resort. For example, if you are at Ft. Recovery, Frenchman's Cay, Long Bay Resort, or Sugar Mill (the only ones I'd consider) then you're on the part of the island that has its own kind of island nightlife that is at once laidback and fun. For example, there's Mrs. Scatliffe's where you get a great family funghi band, good island eats, and an everybody-joins-in sing-along and dance-along that's fun. Forget the glitz, though. The BVI is not St. Thomas.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 01:06 PM
Daisy

Well all: <BR> I have chosen Peter Island to wed. We too, looked at B.C but felt P.I was it. Good reviews all around.

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 05:35 PM
Joel

Lynn, you are the rare person who tells us what she decided to do and thanks the posters for their help. I sense you have made the decision that is right for you. May you have a wonderful, and blessed marriage!

Old Aug 2nd, 2001, 06:13 PM
karen

Thanks for letting us know. I was just thinking today how so many people ask for feedback and information and never come back to tell us the decision. I am sure it will be wonderful and hope you tell us all about it! I know I was married in the islands and it made it even more special. Of course, we aimed for sunrise but given island time ... LOL ... well we still were underway by 9am so it wasn't too late! LOL Congrats and am sre it will be wonderful!