Peter Island or Biras Creek?

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 09:40 AM
June

Peter Island or Biras Creek?

I've read all the posts and the Scubamom reviews and still can't decide between these 2 resorts. Are the beachfront suites at PI better than the suites at Biras? Is the food comparable at both? I'm getting the feeling that options are greater for activities at Biras than at PI, ie, the included little boat to tool around in, renting a jeep to go exploring. Will we get bored at PI? We want to relax but also want some activity, a little nightlife, some live music, maybe we're looking at the wrong type of resorts - would BEYC be better for a myriad of activities plus some seclusion? Does any of these 3 resorts offer golf cart rentals? Any insight would be appreciated!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 10:03 AM
Nancy

June, I researched the 2 resorts also and could not decide. Being in a villa on the beach was the deciding factor for us so we chose Peter Island (we are going next year). We loved everything that Biras Creek had to offer, but the beach was our #1 priority. I also don't think we would get bored as we can still visit the other islands in the BVI for day trips. Maybe you should look at what your #1 priority is. As far BEYC I know somewhere who stayed there (they were a guest on a yacht) and he said that it is very very secluded. I know it's a hard choice. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. Good Luck!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Delegator

Hi June. My fiance and I also did the research and couldn't decide. It was crazy -- we made lists of the pros and cons, we searched the web, we devoured scubamom and her daughter's reviews, re read books, we posted here, there and everywhere . . .

Anyway, we ultimately decided on Biras. Although my research led me to believe the beaches are nicer on Peter Island, the beach wasn't the number one priority for me. We were drawn in by the outdoor shower, the bicycles to tool around on, the walks to go on, and of course, the Boston Whalers. We also felt it sounded just a bit calmer. What really sealed the deal, however, was the cost -- i.e. what we could get for our money. At PI we would have only been able to afford a garden view room, which, as I think I recall, might have resulted in someone staying above our head (my fiance hates that). Some people complain that the Biras rooms are not on a swimming beach, just a walking beach but in our opinion that was better than being on a "garden." We go in about a month. I'll post when I return as so many people on these boards were helpful to me.

I just remembered one thing, that sort of mattered to me. I kind of wanted to get spa treatments while I was on the trip. Biras doesn't have that option -- Peter Island does, I believe.

Good luck with your decision.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 04:23 PM
ScubaMOm

Biras can arrange massages in a "beach massage hut" or in your suite. A spa is at Leverick Bay - about a 10 minute boatride and they can arrange that too.

Old Oct 29th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Louis

[email protected] above is not a valid address so I do not feel that the posting came from her. The person that used her name should be ashamed.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 07:57 AM
Nancy

Sorry, I had to give my 2 cents. I agree with you Louis. That person should be ashamed. They are are probably advertising their business. However, I think people do this because they have no advertising $$$. I feel that they should be allowed because it does promote more traffic for Fodors.....as long as they don't abuse it. Just my opinion.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 08:17 AM
xxx

improved redone beachfront at PI is a plus but grotto showers are nice at Biras. Not aware of jeep around at Biras since it is reachable only by boat but bikes included. IMO food better at Biras but don't see more activity at Biras other than the whalers. Bitter End is more commercial but much more activity but your really sacrifice in the food department. If you rent one of the houses at Peter Island you have use of a cart but otherwise it is not needed or necessary at any. Peter Island staff will bus you anywhere if you ask and there are frequent launches to RoadTown if you must.
Scubamom does a great job with her reviews in the BVI and hits the mark. However none of this is posted by her since she is currently in the Caribbean.

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Delegator

I'll check on the Biras spa thing. Perhaps I was confused on the availability (I don't have my lists comparing the two resorts in front of me -- and may have thrown them out once I made my decision!). I also will post when I return.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 07:45 AM
Allison

Hi June,

We debated last year between PI and Biras also. We were thrilled we chose Biras and hope to go back this year. (We are not even curious to try PI anymore!) There is total seclusion (the resort accomodates fewer guests than PI). You almost always have your own little spot on beach or by pool away from other guests...never in a big row of lounge chairs! (but we did find the other guests EXTREMELY nice when we did interact with them: many from UK) You are exposed to 3 totally different spectacular views every day: 1. the Atlantic with loud crashing waves from your room 2. The boats, islands, sunsets etc. of North Sound from the dining room & bar 3. Quiet, stunning Deep Bay with incredible wildlife from the swimming beach. What else? Yes, Boston Whalers amazing: you can head to secluded beaches, beach bars, snorkeling spots, all with a picnic packed by Biras. Also you can get a little water taxi at night to BEYC or Saba Rock for some "nightlife" and sometimes live music if you want. There is also a little action at the Fat Virgin cafe on Biras property (not hotel guests...mostly people staying on boats.) Often a guy with a guitar. Food at Biras incredible, wonderfully private and comfortable suites. Hiking trails THE BEST to get some exercise every day (try jogging the trails!) and great views.

Someone brings up a good point: if you're looking for endless white sand beach as #1 priority, Biras is not it. The beach is a little small, but in a way, that's part of the exotic charm of it...like a little deserted Tahitian inlet or something. Protected water makes it great for all the water sports & of course swimming.

(We did rent Jeep on Virgin Gorda one day and satisfied the craving for endless long beach in one afternoon.)

BEYC: we walked there on the trail from Biras and motored by it many times on the Whaler. No offense anyone, but YUCK compared to Biras. (Probably OK if you're really looking to take a lot of sailing lessons and/or have children with you) but NOT romantic, NOT charming, NOT secluded when you're comparing it to Biras. The beach at BEYC is sand hauled in and dumped adjacent to the harbor. There is a touch of "cruise ship" ambiance. In short: BEYC is really not at all comparable to Biras...its "strengths" are very different from Biras I would say.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 08:06 AM
Karen

I have been to Biras, and I have to say it way wonderful. The beach is small but secluded. There is more than enough room for everyone and you are not near anybody on the beach because Biras can accommodate 60 guests at a time. Not everyone does everything at the same time. We were the only ones at the pool everyday. And maybe one of 5 couples on the beach when we were there. We were not bored at all, espically my husband who cannot sit still for more than 5 minutes. There is plenty to do (the Baths, Sunset Sails,exploring on the Whaler,snorkeling, walking the trails) and nothing to do-it all depends on what you want. The Whalers are lots of fun we did a lot of exploring on them and you can take it to Saba Rock and to the Ferry Landing, if you want to get a cab to explore the town. There are no cars on Biras or the surronding areas which is great. We also walked the trail to BEYC and did not like it at all. It reminded me of Fire Island (We are from Long Island,NY) and was not very caribbean it was like a small bustling town. The food at Biras was wonderful at every meal. The rooms are very private one level (so theres nobody above you)The sunrise in the morning from your balcony is spectacular. We had the best vacation at Biras. It was romatnic, relaxing and beautiful. The service was great and the grounds are georgeous. The website does not do it justice. Just a hint if you do go to Biras, do not pack any high heels for dinner - bring summer pretty but flatter type shoes to walk to dinner at night!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:38 AM
jackie

My husband and I are going to Biras in early December - can't wait!

Which excursions do you recommend?

How early do you need to make the reservations for the excursions?

Are meals served at the same time everyday or do you need to make reservations for dinner also?

Did you go to St. John / Tortola for a day trip?

I saw on the website that you can take a helicopter to St. Barts, etc- - -is that worth it?

Do they have parasailing?

I heard that there are no locks on the doors - -should I be concerned?

Thanks! I am sooo excited and even more so after I read all of the rave reviews!

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 09:52 AM
Karen

Oh Really@Fakeit:
We are all secret identity The names may change - but there is truth in all posts (with the exception of the few wacko trolls) That's what makes this so much fun!!!

Have a Great Weekend, maybe I'll talk to you later as "someone else" LOL

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:09 AM
Nancy

Geez.......after reading Allison's and Karen's post I am re-thinking my choice again. This should be the worst problem I should ever have in my life.....Biras Creek vs. PI. The beach is our #1 priority, but you gals have made Biras seem more exciting. Is there anybody out there who has stayed at both properties? I thought the beach was the one thing that made us choose PI, now I'm not so sure. I also would be very interested in the answers to Jackie's questions.

Old Nov 1st, 2002, 10:12 AM
karen

Hi jackie,

Every Morning there is a coordinator that greets you. He/She will take reservation for the excursions and describe them to you. I would wait till you get there as you can book for that day or the next or whenever you choose. The people that work there are so very nice and accommodating, they will answer and describe all trips to you.
Have a wonderful time in paradise!

Reservations are not needed! There are breakfast, lunch and dinner hours. Breakfast is served from 8-11am, lunch 12-3 tea at 4 dinner 7-10 (I'm not sure of the hours but you get the idea) There is no need for a reservation, just walk up to the hostess and give your name and room number and you are seated just like any other restaurant. All the seats in the restaurant are beautiful as it is open air. It is candle lit and romantic (there was no insect problems either).

No I did not see any parasailing

AND

Thre is no need to worry about the "no room key needed" policy. At first we thought it strange but there is no crime and there is nothing to worry about. Housekeeping is very honest and they do not believe in taking something that does not belong to them. After a few days we stopped using the in room safe. We left money and jewelery out on the dresser (due to forgetting about the safe) and they were not touched. Don't worry about that,

Old Nov 2nd, 2002, 08:34 AM
steve

June,

I don't think you can go wrong at either of them, or all three if you include BEYC. We've gone to BEYC each of the last 6 years and have had wonderful times. The north end of the resort is very secluded (the Beachfront Villas - just ask for one past Saba Rock if you don't want to hear steel drum music every night). The end closer to Biras is not as nice since this is the working marina portion of the property. There are many day trips offered, lots of boats to use, short snorkle trips, and whalers. Or, you can just do nothing at all. I'd agree with other posts that the beaches are not great and the food is plentiful but not gourmet. The rooms are getting a little tired and are somewhat rustic.

We've gone over to Biras a few times and it seems like a great place. We've never stayed or eaten there but would consider doing so if we didn't already know everyone on the staff at BEYC.

In 6 weeks, we're off to Peter Island for 10 days. Decided to try a change of scenery and the photos of the refurbished beachfront rooms sold us. I'm expecting better food and beaches, less activity and fewer people, and a wonderful time. In one way, PIR is less secluded than the other two since it has the frequent ferries to Road Town.

All in all, it's a nice decision to have to make. Have fun!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:38 AM
June

Wow! Thanks everyone, this posting did it, I'm set for Biras! The Boston Whalers sound awesome.

I emailed Peter Island a few questions and thought I'd share the answers, may or may not be important to you regarding amenities - Peter Island does not have beachside beverage service, just a beach bar. Biras does - just raise the flag. PI will not let you use their little carts to tool around the island, I know they are not necessary, but hey, I'm willing to pay to do it - because we get a big kick out of it. I am in the process of asking Biras if this is a possibility. Just simply for fun, but we will enjoy the bikes too. Lastly - PI does not have room service. Does Biras? I don't think we'll need it, I just thought that there might be one night where we don't feel like getting dressed, and just have a light meal delivered to our room to enjoy in private. Does anyone know if this is possible, even for a fee? Maybe they would pack us a little to go cooler like they do for lunch, that we could take back to our room and enjoy from our deck. They sound so accomodating, I can't imagine this isn't possible. Thanks again everyone, I anxiously await to book! Does anyone know approx how much trip insurance costs? ballpark? We want to go in hurricane season and I want full protection!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Karen

I do not think Biras will let you use a cart. The staff uses them ie: gardner, kitchen staff, the manager. They have to be vary careful because of the guests on their bikes! When you arrive at Biras you are given a tour of the resort in a cart. I guess if you have special needs and are not able they would pick you up in the cart and take you where you need to go. The bikes are so much fun and you will have a great time on them - it felt like being a kid again on your bike where you could ride and not have to worry about anything. As far as room service, I'm sure they would do that for you, we always loved going to the dining room for dinner and never felt tired. You do not have to get dresssed up really. After a few days you have a great tan so you put on a dress, put your hair up and swipe on some lipstick. Besides the dining area is candle-lit so everyone looks fabulous. You can always go back to your cottage and have an after dinner drink on your balcony's lounge chairs and watch the stars, moon and the sea - in your nightwear. It does not get any better than that. You will have a wonderful trip, enjoy it.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Ellen

To June:

I'm not sure who e-mailed you from Peter Island, but we were there this past summer and were served drinks on the beach and also ordered room service twice. I just wanted to let anyone who was interested in Peter Island and feel that beverage service on the beach and room service is important to them, that it is available.