Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Peter Island? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/peter-island-679360/)

poss Feb 13th, 2007 05:13 AM

Peter Island?

I keep hoping that more people will post reports on Peter Island, but each time I check there's nothing new. I've already made our air reservations for next mid December, and our Virgin Gorda villa (Mahoe Bay) has been booked for almost a year. Still trying to decide whether to make the other half of our trip Peter Island or perhaps somewhere else. Am always hoping to hear more about PI.... (And if we do decide to book there, I go back and forth about whether to pay the hefty difference for beachfront.) Will continue to check back periodically. Thanks in advance.....

TXgalinGA Feb 13th, 2007 07:47 AM

Have you checked the message boards on tripadvisor? Sometimes, they are more active :)

Ike Feb 13th, 2007 11:34 AM

I thought about going to PI myself but all my research indicates it's way to quiet and laid back for me. It's a very small island with only one resort. You might end up going to Tortola for a day trip if you get bored. Of course you may like the peace and quiet. I enjoyed my trip to Virgin Gorda at Little Dix Bay but it was fairly quiet there also. I think my best trip to the Caribbean was Anguilla because I enjoyed Cap Juluca and the food on the island so much. Have a great trip.

DeMarco Feb 15th, 2007 12:20 PM

I got married and honeymooned in Virgin Gorda in December 2006. My top choices were Biras Creek and Peter Island. I had a hard time choosing and decided on Biras Creek at the last minute. I spent a couple of hours on Peter Island and was glad that I chose Biras Creek. Peter Island felt more like a hotel and more formal. If that's what you like, then go to Peter Island. If you do choose Peter Island splurge on the beachfront rooms. The rooms by the pool are right near the boat dock and didn't look that great to me.

You should definitely check out Biras Creek. It's more rustic but very romantic. The ocean front rooms are amazing. We drank coffee on our porch every morning and watched the sunrise. You also get two bikes to ride to the beach where they have barbacue lunches a couple days a week. The food was amazing and the staff were really nice. It was a great honeymoon.

owa Feb 15th, 2007 12:56 PM

DeMarco,
We are going to Biras Creek in May. Did you go snorkeling while at BC? Was everyone in fancy dress at dinner? I'm glad you had a great honeymoon there. Thanks, Owa

PsychedDiva Feb 15th, 2007 01:09 PM

Poss-

It might help to know what are you looking for in your ideal spot. My husband and I went to PI over Easter break last year and I might be able to help answer any questions you might have. We did a lot of research on our trip, as always, and used this site as well as Trip Advisor to make our decision. I would definitely go beachfront.

-Diva

poss Feb 15th, 2007 03:51 PM

Thanks very much for all replies.
We enjoy peace and quiet so in that sense PI should suit us very well.
When we stayed at Virgin Gorda, at LD and in a villa, we checked out Biras Creek and I thought the property was terrific-- loved the wonderful trails with all those great vantage points. Wouldn't be interested in staying there because the beach isn't good and there's no walk-in snorkeling; but the grounds and views are certainly very handsome (didn't see the rooms).
The main reason I'm hesitant about beach front at PI, in addition to the cost (soo much more than ocean view), is that we usually don't find the views from right on a beach all that appealing. E.g. at Caneel, we'd not enjoy Scott's; we much prefer Paradise Beach or Cottage Point because we love the views and the privacy from "on high." But I'm afraid the ocean view rooms at PI might seem small (not that Caneel rooms are large!) and that the "flat" views wouldn't be all that spectacular: in other words, not really worth the price. But I really don't know, that's why I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible.
Thank you!!

owa Feb 16th, 2007 02:36 AM

poss, I've not given my thoughts on PI, but since I was not very polite on your post with asking for advice on BC, I'll chime in. I don't know if I'll be of any help.

We went in September a couple years ago. Sixteen guests was the high count for the week we were there. Went down to eight by the time we left. We stayed in the oceanfront rooms because that was what was included in our package. We would not have wanted to stay elsewhere. When I think back to the best memories of PI, it is the two days we had White Bay entirely to ourselves. At noon the shuttle brought lunch to us. We snorkeled both sides of the bay and it was wonderful. I also think back to the "spa experience" that was included in our package. It was unbelievable.

Having said all of that and just looking at their prices, I wouldn't pay to go back. Unless I could purchase a package like I had which I don't think they will offer again. On second thought, I'd pick to go back to Caneel ( I agree with you about not staying on Scott's beach). Also, I can go back to Bonaire three to four times for the price of Peter Island.

It will be interesting to see how we like Biras Creek in May. I'm going to book a trip to Curacao and Bonaire today for Oct/Nov.

I would say if the price doesn't bother you I'd go and get a beach front room. Good luck in your decision. Owa

poss Feb 16th, 2007 06:35 AM

Thanks for your response, Owa. And I imagine you'll love Biras Creek. (I don't remember this other post you're speaking of.) The grounds at Biras are so wonderful; we absolutelylove all those hiking trails and the great views. If you enjoy taking little boats out to snorkel, you'll especially love Biras, I would think. That's the kind of thing we loved doing for decades, but now that were oldsters, we prefer simple walk-in snorkeling, a la St John, other spots on Virgin Gorda, etc. We also liked Bonaire and Curaco very much, by the way. But, again, now that we're in our 70's and a little less agile, we're not interested in the kind of scrambling that's often the case on Bonaire (not many real beaches there).
Pretty cool that you seem to go to the Caribbean several times a year!

DeMarco Feb 16th, 2007 09:08 AM

Owa,

Most people did get dressed up for dinner, but nothing super fancy. I wore sundresses with flip flops most nights. It's not worth packing fancy shoes because the roads are dirt paths. I never saw anyone wear jeans or shorts to dinner. It's pretty laid back and no one seemed to care too much about the dinner attire. I actually wore jeans once and I didn't feel uncomfortable.

There's no snorkeling from the beach at Biras Creek. However, they have complimentary snorkeling trips twice a week which are worthwhile. I also recommend snorkeling at the baths, the caves and Norman Island. They also give you access to a boat that you can take out yourself. You can go to a spot called honeymoon beach. Only 1 boat is allowed. You can snorkel off the beach (pretty good) and they pack you a picnic lunch.

We met a lot of people at the Monday night manager's cocktail hour (lots of fun) and people would get together to plan snorkeling trips. The staff is very accomodating on setting up day trips.

I hope this helps.
Sonia

StanKase Feb 16th, 2007 09:41 AM

owa: You are aware of my assessment of the snorkeling in and aond VG. The Baths are still very good. The daily snorkel trip DOES NOT take you to Norman or Cooper where there still is good snorkeling in several spots nor can you take a Boston Whaler that far. We rented Mitchells boat and he took us to Norman and Cooper for $600 for 5 hours after some long discussion on the rate. In May he may be a little slow so he may offer you that rate. It is worth it for that is the only "really" good snorkeling exceot the daily trip does go to Oil Nut Bay and that if not choppy is good for some reson. The other places we went on other days were as I said earlier 60-7-% bleached so little to no living coral and in turn ot that many fish.
But, the resort is nice, though even with the renovation the beach suites are up-scale basic like Caneel yet the public areas are much better but make sure the fan is working by email before you arrive. Also, bring walking shoes or bike to the beach, tennis courts, etc.

owa Feb 17th, 2007 06:23 AM

Sonia, Thanks for the information, and yes, it does help. I plan to just take a suitcase on the plane.

StanKase, Do you mean the fan in the room? Also, we are going to be on Tortola for 4 nights before we go to BC. Wouldn't I be better off going to Norman and Cooper from there? I want to do a number of day trips from Tortola, because I plan on taking a day trip to the BVI's (including the baths) from St. John with my family of 10 in August. Thanks, Stan

ScubaMom Feb 19th, 2007 04:08 AM

Yes, when you are on Tortola is the time to visit Norman Island and Cooper Island. They are in the SW region of the BVI whereas Biras is in the NE part. If you want interesting snorkeling, be sure to visit the Indians and the Wreck of the Rhone.

owa Feb 19th, 2007 05:17 AM

ScubaMom, thanks for the information.

Poss, I forgot to add in my previous post about you mentioning your age and being less agile. You conformed my theory about doing as many trips to the Caribbean as we can NOW. We are 67 and both in good health except for some weight issues. At least we think we are in good health. I have listened to patients time and again telling me how their life changed in a minute. Have you traveled to the Caribbean for many years? Owa

poss Feb 19th, 2007 05:26 AM

Hi Owa,
I'm 64, hubby is 77-- both fit and healthy, but....
We fell in love with the Caribbean when we honeymooned in Tobago 37 years ago and have been trying to return about every other year ever since. Used to do Club Meds for 10 or 15 years (we're very active, sports people, esp water sports, we also like to dance), but Club Meds went way down--imo-- when they became Americanized (food mediocre, no more live music, way more kids, etc). We've done a bunch of sailing in those waters also-- love it all!!!!
Bon Voyage!