Search

Abacos, Bahamas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abacos, Bahamas

I'm going solo to Abacos for the first time in December and have booked a small room
in Marsh Harbour. Flying into March Harbour but am
curious about Green Turtle Cay for snorkeling. Understand it's a taxi ride and short ferry to Green Turtle Cay but wondering if I'd be better off staying over there - want to snorkle, lie on beach, drink and eat casual food. Should I stay in Marsh Harbor and just ferry over to Green Turtle for the day, or stay at Green Turtle? Advice please?

Will I need a car on Abacos?
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 03:10 AM

Personally, you might want to stay at Treasure Cay, better access to all the little cays. You can go over to Green, day trip to Marsh Harbour, day trip by boat to Guana Cay. Plus it's the best beach. And you can day trip to Hopetown, gorgeous little town with lighthouse and Tahiti Beach.

If you stay in MH, you're about an hour away to ferry of Green, so you might want to rent a car instead.

If you stay on Green, it will be harder to go see the other gorgeous cays.

PS, snorkel is just okay in Abacos, if you're a snorkelers you'd be better off in Eleuthera.
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Personally, I would get a small room on Elbow Cay instead- check into the Hopetown Harbour Lodge, Abaco Inn or Sea Spray Resort to see if you can find something that suits you and your budget. From there you can get to other cays. Personally, I do not agree with Blamona about this one. Treasure gives you good access to Green Turtle but your best access to the other cays is from MH or from a more central area like Hopetown or even Guana or Man-O-War. You will find several casual places to eat, some nice beach and outfitters to take you snorkeling in Hopetown. If you stay at HHL you can walk almost anywhere in the settlement. If you stay at one of the others, You can rent a golf cart if you like or the restaurants will pick you up to come to dinner- not so in Green Turtle though. Your best advice on this area is at www.abacoforum.com. Have a great time!
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both! I'll check these out, have heard Hopetown mentioned again since I wrote this a couple days ago - sounds great! Debihana
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 11:25 AM

If you wish to get a feel for Abaco during your visit, suggest you stay in Marsh Harbour (MHH), which is CENTRALLY LOCATED on Great Abaco and has access to the ferries that run between MHH & Guana Cay; MHH & Elbow Cay (Hope Town) and MHH & Man-O-War Cay. Great for day trips to explore the beaches and settlements of the offshore Cays. There is NO NEED to travel to Green Turtle for snorkeling - and is somewhat isolated from the rest of Abaco. There is a snorkeling reef in MHH and snorkeling beaches on the offshore Cays mentioned above. Or join DIVE ABACO! for a day trip to the National Underwater Park. MHH is only 3 miles from MHH Internat'l Airport, so taxi fare is nominal to the tourist area along Bay Street. Recommend the Conch Inn or Lofty Fig Villas for accommodations. The Conch has a mini-fridge, the Fig has a kitchen. Once there, you can walk to nearly everything - bars, restaurants, grocery, boutiques... no need for a rental car or taxi unless you want to drive north or south on the Great Abaco which, depending on the length of your visit, you may not have time for. Please let us know if you have any additional questions, we're here to help make your stay an enjoyable and memorable one.