Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Passport required for infant? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/passport-required-for-infant-562514/)

anolan1028 Oct 4th, 2005 11:43 AM

Passport required for infant?

I am traveling later in the month with an infant to Jamaica. Unfortunately, my husband cannot join us. Does anyone know if I need a passport to travel alone with her?

tivertonhouse Oct 4th, 2005 11:59 AM

Until 31 Dec this year, you'll only need an original or notarized copy of your child's birth certificate with the REQUIRED blindstamp/raised seal. Your bank can provide same-day no/nominal fee notary public/stamping services. After that date, a passport.

Scubagirl Oct 4th, 2005 12:20 PM

If you are not traveling with your spouse, you will need a notarized permission letter from him that you can take your infant out of the country.

I've never heard of a notary being able to "notarize" a birth certificate. The raised seal has to come from state/county office. You hospital certificate is not valid for reentry into the U.S.

bgans Oct 4th, 2005 06:54 PM

Until Dec. 31, your daughter will not need a passport to re-enter the US, but many Caribbean countries are now requiring US citizens to have a passport in order to enter the country in the first place (not sure about Jamaica, specifically).

It's easier just to get the baby a passport (my daughter got her's at 4 months old). The State Dep't website has the instructions and the forms you need.

Also, you may need a notarized letter from your husband stating that he knows you are taking the baby out of the country, with the dates of travel and the destinations (it's to prevent non-custodial parents from taking their kids without the consent of the custodial parent). The airline is supposed to ask for it before you board, but they don't always ask - it's safer to have it and not need it than not have it and not be able to board your flight.

Curt Oct 6th, 2005 07:06 AM

USA has extended the requirements for passports - not 2006 now, but Jamaica may have new rules check with them

tivertonhouse Oct 6th, 2005 11:25 AM

Jamaica is still up in the air on passports only or no -- they'd prefer NOT to issue the passports only law since some 50+% of visitors don't have passports. If you travel/holiday tho,
it's worth getting one for your child
now and avoiding the question of when/what if...

caribdreamn Oct 7th, 2005 05:24 AM

I travelled to Barbados in May with my baby (11 months old) and I had been trying to travel to the Caribbean earlier in the year when he was an infant and every island I looked at needed a passport for him no matter what his age and if you are travelling without your childs father then you need a notarized letter too from him saying that he endorses your travels....I was told by immigration as I laboured away trying to get my sons papers in orders that there has been a lot of baby / infant SELLING...yes oh yes...SELLING and so they have become really stringent about these rules...I wouldn't risk it - get all the formal documentation you can!! Goodluck and have fun!

Tuxedocat Oct 7th, 2005 08:57 AM

My daughter has had her passport since 8 months old. They are only good for 5 years versus 10 for adults, but totally worth the trouble IMO.

tripster Oct 10th, 2005 03:49 PM

Get a passport. get a passport. get a passport.
Americans are the only ones who think they can cross borders with a drivers license.

MIM04 Oct 10th, 2005 04:03 PM

I got my daugher her passport when she was 6 months. It is totally worth it and it really is not that expensive. GL

TomCayman Oct 11th, 2005 12:10 PM

Please note that the general passport deadline for people returning to the US from the Caribbean has been put back a year to Dec 31, 2006.. check the State Department website.