Passport Needed for Aruba???

Jun 10th, 1999, 08:50 AM
Ann

Passport Needed for Aruba???

I was just told by a co-worker that Aruba now requires passports for travelers from the US, instead of a birth certificate and photo ID. My step-daughter is headed there for her honeymoon in three weeks and doesn't have a passport (because we told her it wasn't necessary!) Does anyone know about this new requirement? With last minute wedding preparation, the last thing she needs is the hassle and cost of applying for an expedited passport if it isn't absolutely necessary....thanks!

Jun 10th, 1999, 09:45 AM
Bette

Dear Ann: It is ALWAYS best to have a passport. It is not difficult to obtain and could save a lot of time and/or problems!! And as you are probably aware, it is good for 10-years. A person also can get a passport within a few days for emergency purposes! Hope all works out!

Jun 10th, 1999, 10:37 AM
Beth

the website travel.state.gov has Consular info sheets for all countries. The one for Aruba was posted in December '97, and states that a passport is not necessary, only proof of citizenship (birth certificate) + photo ID (drivers license). Although, as Bette says its always best to have a passport, and the consular info sheet says this too. In any case, if it has changed very recently it may not be reflected there. They do give the phone number for the appropriate Consul, so you can call and find out for sure.

3 weeks could be enough time to get a passport without any hassles if your step daughter does not delay. Last time I applied for a new one it only took about 2 weeks. Alternatively, if you scan the web there are agencies that will do the legwork for you, so all you have to do is pay them.

Jun 10th, 1999, 04:11 PM
Ann

Hi Ann- A good idea to call the Consul for exact info .. but I suggest calling twice to make sure you get the same info both times. Maybe, if passports ARE now required, the island will have some 'adjustment' time for that to become a hard and fast rule with no exceptions.

We just returned from Curacao (island next to Aruba), and although we do have passports, one wasn't required for entry-but each island has a departure tax and ALL the literature (including that found on the internet) said the tax was $12.50/person for international flights. Our travel agent had indicated on our documents that this tax was $20.00/person - and she was the only one right!! My point being, this info seems to change quickly !!

You might also want to call the travel agent who booked your daughter's honeymoon trip and have the agency confirm if a passport is needed. From what I understand, an 'expedited' passport can be processed in 3 working days from its receipt (also using an overnight delivery service each way), but there's an additional fee of $35 for expedites. Besides, assuming your daughter will be using her husband's last name, wouldn't she want her passport to reflect the correct last name...not get one now with her maiden name on it, then another one with her new last name?

Good luck - somehow these things all work out !!

Search this Thread