Search

Honeymoon - May 2002

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 06:33 AM
nan

Honeymoon - May 2002

Hi, <BR>I would like to hear opinions/experiences on <BR>3 places that we are considering for a honeymoon ....we would like beautiful 'azure' waters beaches that are not crowded....villa or hotel right on the beach...or close access. <BR> <BR>Here are 3 places that look appealing.. <BR>Caneel Bay - St John (or a villa on St. John), Peter Island and Guana Island. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Nancy

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Allison

Hi, Nancy. My husband and I rented a villa in St. John for our honeymoon. It was much more secluded than a hotel, although you don't have the conveniences of room service and a private beach. However, we truly enjoyed driving all over the island and finding our own beaches - a different one each day! The water is beautiful, and the snorkeling is good early in the morning. There are several websites with rentals to try: <BR> <BR>www.vrbo.com <BR>www.cloudninevillas.com (we rented from here and the couple who owned the villas were incredibly helpful!) <BR>www.vacationspot.com

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 02:52 PM
john

Nancy: I am also looking at Caneel Bay for our honeymoon. What are some of the comments that you've heard? Anything negative? I think PI and GI are too out of the way and desolate.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Karen

Peter Island or Guana out of the way and desolate? No way! They are both fabulous. In fact, PIR is scheduled for an update and will close the beachfront rooms for a period this fall to update the baths. Those rooms are splendid! But if you are looking for activity and excitement like beach bars and shopping, they will not suit the bill. But if you love pristine beauty with suburb service, you will love either. Go to www.scubamom.com (altho her URL may have changed) and read her reviews. She has been more recently than me and gives the latest info. Caneel does give you proximity to a more cosmopolatian St. Thomas and a wonderful island that is mostly Nat'l Park and is still fairly pristine. Not sure when your weddingmoon is but Caneel does feature family vacations and a Kids' Club that you will not run into at the other two. However, it certainly is the best of St. John and the USVI! Those 7 beaches right on property are to die for! And, I would not want to have to commute daily to the beach schlepping all the beach stuff from a villa! There are some wonderful ones available for self-catering but few on the beach and in most, you do your own daily maid service. Not what I would want!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:54 AM
nancy

Thanks to those who have responded so far....We definitely want the privacy <BR>and close proximity (no schelpping everyday to a beach)..smile...but also <BR>would like to take day trips to the <BR>larger island for shopping a couple of <BR>times within the week....and renting <BR>a jeep exploring (if we go to St. John) <BR> <BR>I have read mostly favorable reports about Caneel...the rooms are nice but very plain...service and restaurants are considered very good...Yes, I read <BR>that it is now family friendly...and <BR>that is the only drawback...for our <BR>honeymoon we would prefer an adult atmosphere.... <BR> <BR>We did just return from Harbour Island <BR>in the Bahamas. Gorgeous 3 mile pink <BR>sand beach..not crowded at all..had <BR>fun...but I didn't think much of the <BR>island itself once we drove around... <BR> i.e. not picturesque...as say Bermuda is... <BR> <BR>People were great on Harbour island and we had fun...Restaurant food..supberb!!!!....as <BR>I mentioned it was not a pretty island <BR>once you left the beach... <BR> <BR>Any other island suggestions would be <BR>appreciated...Read favorable reports <BR>on Anguilla.... <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your replies and looking forward to hearing more. <BR>Nancy

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Lara

Nancy: <BR> <BR>Depending when in May you are going, you might be OK at Caneel as far as families are concerned. We went May 7-14 last year and there were not many children. Memorial Day might be a problem. <BR> <BR>My trip report discusses Caneel in more detail at: <BR> <BR>www.caribtravelnews.com under the Island Index. <BR> <BR>--Lara

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:59 AM
penny

Hi Nancy-We adore Bermuda and no island in the caribbean is like it. As you know it is beautiful with its winding lanes, elegant homes, and beautiful beaches. <BR> <BR>We have been to Anguilla several times. It is a flat arid island with gorgeous beaches, wonderful restaurants, and interesting hotels and sweet hard working people. We love Cap Juluca with its villas spread on a drop dead 1 mile beach. We go there every year and love it! No shopping unless you take a short 20 minute ferry ride into Marigot on St. Martin. <BR> <BR> <BR>We have stayed at Caneel for 4 times and love its beaches and the funky town of Cruz Bay. The rooms are nice but nothing like Cap Juluca. The nicest rooms are in Cottage 7, very private, large decks and wonderful views, with the beach a few seconds away you can use Scott or Paradise. Wonderful from the shore snorkeling. If you go during high season you can have breakfast, or lunch and dinner in the beautiful Turtle Bay House. This past January was the first time it was opened for us and we enjoyed the set up for breakfast and ate there several mornings. Otherwise breakfast is in the main pavillion which I feel is very busy, so we have a picnic hamper sent to the room. We have never had a real problem with the childrens program-kids are not allowed on Scott and Paradise. I was not happy about the high chairs in the Equator restarant, so we avoid it-plus the food at this spot was OK. We love to dine in Cruz Bay. <BR>A few years ago we did 3 days at Little Dix Bay and then 4 at Caneel. We thought the dining more intimate and enjoyed going to both. <BR> <BR>I also feel Caneel has mixed service for example-beach towels piled up on a beach chair were not colected until I removed them ,they had a corporate group that had its hospitality tables, activity board, cooler etc set up right on the beach terrace, bad taste -they hould have gotten a room and not been part of the hotel. Many repeat quests were very upset about this-no excuse when you are paying high season prices and Caneels are very HIGH! Yet we do enjoy this hotel. I read Laras report and feel it is very accurate. <BR> <BR>My criteria is to have the beach at my doorstep! If you select Caneel-go for cottage 7! <BR>I hope this helped, just remember you will never find another Bermuda!!

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 11:35 AM
nancy

I'm enjoying reading all your wonderful <BR>responses re: my honeymoon....Yes..we <BR>want as close to the beach as possible.. <BR> <BR>Caneel sounds great as well as Cap Juluca...mm..we don't mind the island <BR>being somewhat isolated as long as <BR>we have the option to go to other islands for shopping or change of scenary... <BR> <BR>I agree..Bermuda is just like a post <BR>card..my fiancee has not been there <BR>before...(I have)...almost 20 yrs. <BR>ago...stayed in the Hamilton Princess. <BR> <BR>Keep writing...thanks...nanc