Search

parrot cay or amanyara?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:04 AM
ABL
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parrot cay or amanyara?

we are pulling out our hair trying to make this decision. we have been to cap juluca in anguilla 4 times and feel it's time for a change (yes- their rooms need refreshing but it's the most beautiful beach we've ever seen - plus we love horse back riding on the beach!!). we've narrowed it down to parrot cay or amanyara. specifically:
are the rooms at parrot cay too far from the beach?
is amanyara drab and under construction?
help!!
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:41 AM

We stayed at Parrot and enjoyed it a great deal. Very good food for the Caribbean.Bahamas, excellent service and lovely rooms. Only negative for some it isisolated and visiting the few towns in T&C not that easy or trying alternate dining a hassle. Cost is among the highest in Caribbean/Bahamas when you add deluxe room, food, tax/service.
Have not been to new Aman but we did not like the ones in Bali and Phuket. Much too sterile for us.
But, we do not like glitz either.
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 07:58 AM
ABL
Original Poster

thanks stankase. we stayed at aman in phuket and loved it. i know what you mean by sterile- it's just very simple. were the rooms at parrot cay luxurious? they too look a bit "sterile". also - did you feel far the beach up in the hills at parrot cay?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:45 PM

The rooms and layout are a bit more accommodating for a 5-6 full day stay. More than that it can get a little boring. How many good meals can you eat?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 03:49 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

The spa treatments and free daily Pilates and Yoga classes help flesh out the time a bit. I agree, 5 - 6 days is good ( I could envision 7 nights if I were really stressed out!).

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 06:18 AM

ABL: I hope I'm not too late to answer your questions. We stayed at PC a few years ago and were booked into one of the ocean view rooms in the main hotel. I'm sorry to say we did not like the distance to the beach (felt too far away) nor did we like the room itself. Although the room and bath had been renovated, regardless it felt old and musty. We requested to be moved and the next day were moved to one of their beach rooms. (this was before they offered the beach rooms with plunge pools) It made such a difference for us....we loved being that close to the beautiful water. Although is was a $$ pricey upgrade for us, we were SOOO happy with our decision to move. We are considering going back this Spring and will only consider one of the beach rooms.

Now to answer your original rooms question: We have been to both properties. (Amanyara being the most recent) If comparing rooms, both resorts have the same decor style...modern, stark with white crisp linens feel, but IMO Amanyara wins hands down because it felt more luxurious and more high tech because of the remote control window treatments, plasma tv's, etc. I'm sure you've read all about each hotel, but the way I understand it PC was an old hotel which was refurbished (except for the beach rooms, which are all new) and Amanyara is a totally new resort built from the ground up. We loved them both, in fact, I believe I have written about our stays either on this site or tripadvisor. Both are ISOLATED, but that was exactly what we were looking for. At Amanyara the villas are individual and spread out along the property. You need to call for a golf cart to pick you up to get to the main building. But, this is not a hassle; they are very quick to arrive. Of course, you can walk, but it is a winding, dusty road and not very scenic. To be fair, we were at Amanyara when it was brand new and we were 2 of maybe 8 guests, so were definitely taken care of.
The staff was incredibly attentive and so appreciative we were their guests. We maybe preferred the beach at PC a little more, but that could be up for debate.gt Both are definitely lovely!!
BTW, we have also been to Cap Juluca. I agree it is one the best beaches but IMO they need to get with program and upgrade, upgrade their facilites and especially their room amenities. This seems to be the trend these days...it's what 5 star luxury should offer for the prices expected.
Let me know if you have any other questions. Please let us know what you decided.