Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Paradisus Punta Cana (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/paradisus-punta-cana-877266/)

chilliams Feb 9th, 2011 02:48 PM

Paradisus Punta Cana

Hello All I am new to the forum and excited to find such a thing!!

My husband and I along with another couple have decided to go on a little holiday together. We are looking at Paradisus as it looks like such an amazing deal. I have a couple questions.

We have a bit higher budget than our friends and our just wondering if it makes sense for us to upgrade to the royal romantic section even though there are perks that our friends wont get including a private pool and different restaurant selection.... would we get just too separated with this upgrade? I want a NICE room with a comfortable bed as I will be 6 months pregnant on time of travel.

I am also wondering what are some essentials that should be in our suitcases???

Any and all tips are greatly greatly appreciated thanks so much for taking time to read and reply.

KatieL Mar 24th, 2011 12:23 PM

I have not stayed at the Paradisus Punta Cana, but I have stayed at the Pardisus Palma Real twice. I am going to assume they are comparable, and hopefully my answer will help. :) I was 7 months pregnant the first time we stayed at the Palma Real and it was super comfortable. We had a standard room, and I had no problems whatsoever. The only thing that would have been nice is if there had been fresh fruit drinks available at the bars, since I obviously wasn't having any alcohol. The fresh fruit juice at the breakfast buffet was excellent though.

If you are planning on spending a lot of time with your friends, then I don't think I would do the royal romantic upgrade. I would pay for spa services (assuming they are safe for pregnancy of course), but I don't think I would be using the private pool, for example. If you are traveling together and want a lot of private time though, it might be a good idea. Just don't worry about the comfort in their standard rooms...they are very spacious and comfortable.

As far as packing, pack a lot of casual beach type clothes, but bring at least one nicer outfit, since some of the restaurants have dress codes. Also, make restaurant reservations as soon as you get there, if not before, to make sure that you can get into all of the restaurants you want.

Have a great time!!

schmerl Mar 24th, 2011 04:06 PM

Bring a lot of sun screen.
Some restaurants require men to wear long pants so a pair of dockers or khakis will do just fine.
Paradisus is a great resort. You will have a wonderful time.

suze Mar 25th, 2011 07:58 AM

Essentials to me for a beach vacation are: 2-3 bathing suits (so you don't have to wear damp ones), sarong or coverup, assorted sleeveless tops and t-shirts, a couple each shorts, skirts, capri pants. A linen jacket or lightweight cardigan. Sundress(es) optional. Flip flops, sturdy but nice looking sandals, and I also take sneakers because I like to walk a lot. A straw or sun hat. Necessary undies, socks, light robe, something to sleep in. That's about it.

TPAYT Mar 25th, 2011 09:27 PM

Paridisus Punta Cana is a fabulous resort. Try and get a room as close to the beach as possible. They have shuttle that runs all over the property, but it's not as frequent as you would like it to be, and the property is HUGE.

We loved the beach and the fact that the pool was closeby----I like to take a dip in the pool after being in the salt water. The pool had so many out-of-the-way places to just veg.

The restaurants were outstaning, the Italian, the gourmet, and the seafood grill were the best. The Brazilian---Wow! That is if you like meat. They bring it on skewers---nonstop.

There's a great restaurant right near the beach for lunch---BUT---we opted for the fabulous pizza fraom the Italian restaurant almost every day. Here's what we would do----snag a table at the beach restaurant, order drinks, one of us would run up to the Italian restaurant and get the pizza. Then we'd hit the buffet for dessert. This is so out of the norm from my eating habits that I just loved it. Pizza and cake every day for lunch.

The negatives for us were the buffets at dinner(if you failed to make a reservation elswhere)---not so great.
Also, don't try and go outside of the resort---we walked to a shopping place a few blocks away, and it was scarry----15 yr. olds(looked like) with machine guns protecting the shopping place---we felt better shopping along the beach.

As far as what to bring, cover-ups, and some stuff to wear to dinner. Forget the shorts and t's, etc. You'll be in swimwear during the day and casual dinner wear at night.

TPAYT Mar 25th, 2011 09:29 PM

Hey, I just noticed that this question was posted on Feb. 9th and the first response was on March 24th.

You may have come and gone in this time space.

PCH Apr 15th, 2011 12:21 PM

My family and friends gathered at Paridisus Punta Cana during the week of April
3 to April 10th for a week of family vacation and to celebrate the marriage of
our daughter. We worked with the Wedding Consultant in arranging
the wedding and festivities. We booked the Aqua Wedding Package and added a
Welcome Cocktail Party, a Floral Bouquet and a sound system for 3 hours. We booked rooms through the hotel wedding planners and travel agencies and brought 21 friends and family to the resort.
The quality of service we encountered as well as all the errors in
reservations and in room amenities was absolutely unacceptable. The resort was overbooked by 150 people according to Ivan the front desk manager. Some of our family
and friends were moved to another resort – after having received a confirmation for
their room at the Paridisus. Once they were moved – they were charged for
phone calls back to the Paridisus. We had elderly people and a child in our group -
people traveling in couples and alone – from around the world ….. our whole
purpose was to book a resort where we could all enjoy being together – not down
the street from each other. To add insult to injury my family was charged for
making phone calls to family members they were separated from at the very
resort where they had made reservations and had expected to stay !!

The staff at the resort was unsympathetic and of no help when we voiced our
concerns. From the front desk people to the wait staff in the restaurants we
were all met with rudeness and insensitivity. When one family member made it
to the Paridisus – late by taxi to have dinner with us we were told that we
could not pull up an extra chair ( which was sitting empty) to our table so
that we could eat together . We had to ask one male staff member to quit
coming up to talk to us in an inappropriate way while we were sunning on the
beach.
Some one had a bowel movement in the pool while we were there and they did not close and shock the pool - just removed the feces ! EWWWWW !

The wedding festivities were mediocre to say the least. The cart to pick up
the Bride was 20 minutes late so she was late for the “ceremony”. Her bridal
dress sent out to be steamed – ended up coming back to the room late
( after first being told that they had no record of it coming to the laundry)
- with a dirt stain on the front and no pressing or steaming had been done.

Our welcoming cocktail party - which costs $450.00 had inadequate food – 1 plate of nacho chips with a large bowl of guacamole - and when I asked for them to refill the chips they said NO !

The lack of service and poor quality was truly unbelievable for a resort of
this standing. The overbooking and poor service made it very stressful and
inconvenient for my entire family.

We have been to quite a few all inclusive resorts,and stayed in the DR before at an Iberostar - the difference was the rudeness of the staff this time - and the unbelievable policy of overbooking !

schmerl Apr 15th, 2011 03:49 PM

Wow...I certainly hope you have written or called whoever is the parent company for this resort and told them how you were treated!!

BellaClaire Apr 15th, 2011 04:56 PM

Your report is appalling.....wow - speechless.

TPAYT Apr 15th, 2011 09:10 PM

Wow! I don't even know how to comment to such unacceptable service.

When we went there it was because of a recommendation from someone who had been there twice. So sorry to hear of your dilema.

OTOH, thank you for the warning.