Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Paging HowardC (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/paging-howardc-611218/)

truppidavies1 Apr 27th, 2006 04:29 PM

Paging HowardC

Hi HowardC,
In a crisis (of course, only to me) I turn to someone I remember from a few years ago when my Fiance and I booked our first trip to TCI. Well a year later after our first trip, we returned...and got engaged! Now...planning a wedding, where? You guessed it TCI.

Crisis: For a while, we had The Sands lined up to be the central, affordable, mid-class, nice, clean, good restaurant, hotel. We have stayed there 2 twice before and have had a good experience. We felt confident to recommend this hotel to our 40+ guests.
Well...our Wedding Coordinator informs us a few weeks ago, that construction has broke ground next door (Mandaly...which actally was blocked off when we were there a year ago). She suggests Ocean Club West. In our visits to TCI, we never have been to this property. On line, the reviews are not great at all. Although sometimes hard to tell if they are speaking of OCW or OCE. Any hoot, we were/are about to sign and give out 10% deposit for our room block, and I started to have panic attacks (which was due to seeing that their "kitchenette" was in a closet!!!) While I want to trust our Wedding Coordinator, who is wonderful. I for some reason can not. It is hard when you have so many people depending on you for advice, especially because you travled there before.

So I turn to you...a memory from our first TCI trip, knowing that you travel often. What are you thoughts? (By the way total bummer that all this construction is going on anyway)

Side note, the other day we came across something that construction has been put on hold for one reason or another? We will be traveling to TCI end of April 2007.

Looking forward to your reply.
Best,
E.

blamona Apr 27th, 2006 05:17 PM

Sorry I'm not Howard! But he has excellent advice, so always listen to him! 8-)
Try Royal West Indies, gorgeous place for a wedding, no chance of construction.
Mandalay won't start until 65% sold, so that could be soon, could be....
If you're still wanting the Sands, call them about being on the "Point Grace" side, to be on the other side of Mandalay. (Mandalay will be on the Hemmingways side)
Congratulations!

truppidavies1 Apr 28th, 2006 07:45 AM

Actually we are getting married at Grace Bay Club and staying there for a couple of nights. We are trying to find a place for our guests to stay for the week. We are having our Rehersal Dinner at The Palms (Sunset Catarmaran Cruise before hand). So the place is not for the actual wedding to take place, but just for a nice clean, middle of the road place to stay for the guests.

Thanks for the congrats!
E>

Lizzie518 Apr 28th, 2006 09:28 AM

If that's the case, then definitely try RWI.

blamona Apr 28th, 2006 09:34 AM

RWI is also closer to GBC, your guests can walk over. My sister is getting married in Provo, with a cruise, etc in Dec there too. Also, right next to GBC is Ocean Club West, another option. (I do like RWI a little better) but both are excellent options for your guests.

HowardC Apr 28th, 2006 12:33 PM

Your second post provided a little more clarification of what you're looking for. Ocean Club West is about 5 years old and very nice. Right next door to Grace Bay Club. RWI is a little further away but within walking distance. For those on a tight budget look at Caribbean Paradise Inn--www.paradise.tc.--New ownership and recently renovated. Right behind Grace Bay Club--200 yard walk to the beach. Another low cost option is Comfort Inn and Suites which is in Ports of Call shopping plaza and within walking distance. About 500 yrd walk to Grace Bay beach. Check www.skyauction.com for Comfort Inn deals. Hope this helps. Also Spirit Airlines is now flying to Provo from FT Lauderdale so might check them out for airfare deals.

truppidavies1 Apr 29th, 2006 09:34 AM

Howard,
Do you know any more details about the construction near The Sands?
We are going to go into contract with them, as we just felt too uncomfortable with the OCW.

HowardC Apr 29th, 2006 10:51 AM

Mandalay was blocked off when we were there in Nov. Really don't know the status of the construction. You could check out www.mandalaygracebay.com or [email protected] or Pinacle properties at [email protected]. Phone-1-649-8111

I really wouldn't be put off with Ocean Club West. I have read several bad reviews of The Sands including poor service, cleanliness etc. It falls under the category of you can't please all the people all the time. You might look into Villa Renaissance and Le Velle and see if you can negotiate a group rate. Both are very new.

HowardC May 1st, 2006 05:31 PM

Hi Again==Go to www.turksandcaicosforum.com. Under hotels there is a post Sands vs. OCW west. Might help in your decision. Think OCW won.