Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Owa needs help with half day in Aruba (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/owa-needs-help-with-half-day-in-aruba-732497/)

owa Aug 28th, 2007 12:12 PM

Owa needs help with half day in Aruba

Since we have never been to Aruba, I'd appreciate some advice about what to do with the hours we have before we fly back to the states.

We will arrive from Bonaire to Aruba at 0930. Our flight to the states leaves at 430PM. I don't think we want to sit at the airport that long. I did not have any choice of other flights. I goofed by flying on Sunday. Fewer flights. Also, if we leave the airport, do we pay departure tax? I would think we would be considered transit passengers, but maybe not.

Does an island tour make sense? Anyone have a favorite taxi driver I could contact? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks, owa

KVR Aug 28th, 2007 03:32 PM

With that short amount of time, how do you feel about just walking around downtown and shopping with lunch? I am a shopper, and we found the shopping in Aruba very good. Liked it much better than St. Thomas. We had lunch at Iguana Cafe and really enjoyed it.

We love organized tours, and did several on our trip, but don't know if you'll have enough time. I never found an "Isalnd tour" in my research except the jeep tour we did to the other side of the Island. You might post your question on www.aruba-bb.com. They know everything about Aruba.

owa Aug 29th, 2007 04:39 AM

KVR, Thank you very much for your response. I did notice that the airport is close to shopping!!

I will definitely go to the Aruba board. Good idea. Thanks again. owa

Kristen1206 Aug 29th, 2007 10:15 AM

Aruba's beaches are really nice. You might want to take a cab to Eagle Beach for the day (close to the airport) or spend the day at Renaissance's private island...the water taxi/shuttle leaves from downtown at the hotel.

shirleyk Aug 29th, 2007 10:17 AM

You will have to be back to the airport by 1:30 pm. You clear US customs and immigration in Aruba, that is the reason they want you to check in 3 hours before departure. If you go into town the stores will be closed on Sunday unless there is a cruise ship in port, but you can always "window shop" and there will be places open for lunch. The departure tax is usually included in your airline ticket from Aruba. We stopped paying departure tax from Aruba several years ago. The taxi cab ride from the airport to town will only be 10 - 15 minutes or less at that time of the morning. Another option might be to take a cab to the High Rise Hotel Zone and walk around. If the cab driver drops you off at the Holiday Inn, from there you can easily walk to several different hotels, have lunch in one of them or in one of the many restaurants in the area, and then take a cab to the airport. The only hotels you won't be able to eat in are the all-inclusives. That way you would be able to see some of the beach and the ocean and some of the high rise hotels for a longer visit to Aruba. I hope this helps.

jlillberto Aug 29th, 2007 11:49 AM

Have they changed the departure procedure in Aruba in the last couple years? It was the most God awful experience I've had travelling internationally and that includes the much aligned CDG (Paris). It was bad enough that I'd think twice before going to Aruba again.

Kimberly Aug 30th, 2007 11:09 AM

Downtown has great shops and lots of great places to eat and enjoy the oceanview.

owa Aug 31st, 2007 05:24 AM

Thank you all very much for the good information. I appreciate it. Owa