Out Islands - Harbor Island

Aug 8th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Kevin

Out Islands - Harbor Island

Has anyone stay on Harbor Island?
Specifically the Coral Sands or Pink Sands Hotels.

Aug 8th, 2002, 07:33 AM
jb

Hi,
I was in Harbour Island in early July. It was amazing. We stayed at the Romora Bay Club which we loved, great rooms, great food. It's on the bay side but just a short walk from the beach. We spent days on the beach and ate lunch a couple times at Pink Sands and Coral Sands. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Aug 10th, 2002, 08:45 AM
Steph

Yes, Coral Sands, just returned last week. Loved everything. If money is no object I suppose Pink Sands would be it, but after walking around their grounds (it's right next to Coral Sands) I personally don't get it. I don't understand what you're getting for ALL THAT MONEY! I guess you get individual cottages and a lot of seclusion. Coral Sands was good enough for us. We stayed in the new Lucaya building and loved it. Each room has a great ocean view, but it is a little bit of a walk to the beach (about 2 minutes at a good clip), but it didn't bother me one bit.

I'd be happy to answer more questions that you may have.

Aug 10th, 2002, 09:43 AM
tweedy

Kevin:

You might do a search on the site for Harbour Island as there are alot of postings.

I have been going down for over 18 years a trip or two a year so I can probably answer most questions.

You can also come to the website for Harbour Island and N. Eleuthera at www.briland.com.

Steph:

Can't wait to hear about your trip. Let me know!!!

tweedy

Aug 10th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Steph

Tweedy, I posted a brief report last week, noting that I really didn't want to say too much about how I loved HI. I don't want too many people to know about it!! It really was wonderful. We drove every inch of the island (or so it seemed) in our golf cart. We visited Romora Bay and thought it looked beautiful, great bay view and lovely grounds. I can see how you would like it. We bought lemonade from a little girl spending the summer with her grandmother there (she lives in Nassau) who had a lemonade stand on the corner across from Romora Bay. We enjoyed several beautiful sunsets from the restaurant at the Harbor Marina just south of Romora. We also ate a cheeseburger at Ma Ruby's and had a picture taken with her. We dove and snorkeled which was excellent, walked/ran the beach in the mornings, played in the ocean and pool a lot. And just tried to adopt the unhurried pace of the island for a week. We enjoyed buying a few trinkets at the shops by the ferry docks and shopping at Johnson's, Piggly Wiggly and other little markets. We even found ice cream cones in some obscure neighborhood store for $1! It's so odd living in America to walk into a market in HI looking for fresh fruit/veggies only to be told, "no, not today, come back in 2 days for that." We take so much for granted here, there's more than we need whenever we need it.

We didn't get by the nursery unfortunately, but did leave a book as a gift at the door. My children met quite a few friendly native children at Coral Sands and in town and shared their snorkel gear and other toys with them at the pool and beach. We found most everyone to be very friendly, and there was in our experience very little "caribbean attitude" by people employed at our hotel and restaurants there. We expected to encounter it, and were quite pleasantly surprised not to find much of it.

I see why you love Harbor Island. What a lovely treasure. Can't wait to go back someday. I can't imagine going back to Nassau or to Grand Bahama island after HI. I'm sold on the out islands!! Maybe Abaco or Eleuthera next!

Thanks again for all of your great advice, Tweedy. I hope you get there at the end of this month.

Steph