Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Our two favorite Caribbean Resorts are Nisbet Plantation in Nevis and Galley Bay in Antigua -- where next? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/our-two-favorite-caribbean-resorts-are-nisbet-plantation-in-nevis-and-galley-bay-in-antigua-where-next-345355/)

eileen Apr 17th, 2008 12:28 PM

Our two favorite Caribbean Resorts are Nisbet Plantation in Nevis and Galley Bay in Antigua -- where next?

If you have visited one or both of these resorts, you know that they are special places. We were at GB in March and Nisbet last April and not sure if it's possible to top those trips but we'd like to try. As resorts go, they both are pretty different, here's what we liked about them -- authentic Caribbean charm (although GB is more of a polynesian feel -- loved the lush, tropical feel), wonderful service (Nisbet's was a bit more personal), great food (GB's a bit better), relatively small size of the resort (Nisbet wins here with only 36 rooms because GB with the addition of the new rooms is getting a bit too big with 90+ rooms and feeling a few growing pains as a result), great beach (loved the length of GB's beach but enjoyed Nisbet's beach atmosphere with hammocks, enough palapas for everyone and beach service), great accomodations (top category rooms in both places are very similar, although a slightly better view at GB but we also really like the mid-level rooms at Nisbet -- the cottages). Both had great Thursday night beach barbecues (Nisbet's was a bit more special), enjoyed the total AI of GB (loved those Rum punches, wish Nisbet would go totally AI since they already offer breakfast, tea and dinner, it would be nice not to have to deal with signing any bills). After visiting those two places, we feel the perfect Caribbean vacation would be a week at each, but we like to try new places and save the return visits for later on. So where else would the expert fodorites recommend and why? Thanks so much!

RoamsAround Apr 17th, 2008 01:05 PM

Been to both (Nisbet many times) and I have to agree they are both pretty nice resorts but I give Nisbet higher marks.

Base on your perameters you might like Sandy Lane on Barbados or Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia.

If you are looking for a real quiet All Inclusive (food, drinks, watersports, fishing, etc.) beach vacation check out Coco Point Lodge on Barbuda. Accomodations are a bit spartan compared to Galley Bay or Nisbet but it's located on one of the finest white sand beaches (it stretches as far as the eye can see) in the Caribbean. Staff is great, food is excellent (on a par with any of the best in the Caribbean). Warning Barbuda is a sleepy island with less than 1500 people - no night life and few things to do "off resort". Go here if you want a very relaxing break from the world.

Peter Island Resort or Biras Creek (both in the BVI's) may be just up your alley. PI is a "private island" resort and Biras Creek is on a section of Virgin Gorda that is accessible only by boat so either one will give you a feeling of seclusion. They are both upscale resorts with excellent service, very good food, and woderful amenities.

Another resort you might want to check out is Petit St. Vincent (in the Grenadines). While I personally didn't like this resort it has gotten some very good reviews lately. The owner died earlier this year and I don't know if his wife will continue to manage the property or if she will sell.

If you don't mind a bit larger resort check out Cap Juluca on Anguilla. This is not AI but you can purchase a meal plan if you wish. I'd advise against that as the island has over 80 restaurants and it would be ashame to eat all your meals at one resort.

Lastly, if you are really into food consider going to St. Barth's. There are more gourmet restaurants on this island then you can dine at in a "month of Sundays". For a top notch boutique hotel on a nice beach check out Isle de France. For something bigger there's Eden Roc and if you don't mean being off the beach there's Francois Plantation.

That's just for starters - so many great places, so little time.

ejcrowe Apr 17th, 2008 03:16 PM

I, too, love Nisbet and would like to return there one day. I've not stayed at Galley Bay but I did tour the property during one of my visits to Antigua.

I think that Spice Island Beach Resort on Grenada would be right up your alley. It's an expensive place, but it's not significantly more expensive than Galley Bay. It's a small all inclusive on a gorgeous beach with wonderful service. I've not stayed there, but I've eaten several lunches there over the course of my visits to Grenada, and each time the food was delicious and very nicely presented. The staff were incredibly warm and welcoming, despite my not being a full guest there, and when I visited twice in one week, on my second visit they remembered that I ordered a Ting before lunch and a blended rum punch for after lunch and asked if I wanted to do that again.

For something that might be more like the remote romanticism of the Gaughin cottages on GB, take a look at La Luna, also on Grenada. These are hillside cottages with lovely views of the sea. The bedrooms are large and with a/c but the bathrooms are all open air, and each cottage comes with a plunge pool. There's an air of Polynesia here, particularly with the thatched roofs and the indigenous sculptures that dot the property. The beach here is small but beautiful and there's decent snorkeling right off shore. The restaurant on site is also very good. What's especially nice about La LUna is the open air but covered beach pavilion with couches, comfy chairs, and even day beds set up right by the bar so you can lounge there during the day to escape the sun or for shelter from any rain that might fall. We just loved that part!

Grenada itself is a lovely island, with a mountainous interior that tends to the lush side. It's a fairly large island but easy to get around on one's own, either by rental or by taking the bus system.

Knowing Apr 17th, 2008 07:12 PM

Go and check out Palm island in the Grenadines. Remarkable welcome with rum punches as the manager and his assistant do a meet and greet. Slow paced so that you create a vacation of your choice but there is entertainment at night. Enjoy the tea in the afternoon and a good selection of tasty food. They do a popular barbecue one night every week. It has a great beach - actually it has 5 beaches, with hammocks and palapas. We loved our cottage, which was maybe 20 yards from the water. And, it is an AI.

eileen Apr 18th, 2008 10:26 AM

Thanks everyone, keep those ideas coming!

andrew8 Apr 18th, 2008 06:38 PM

Sandy Lane is twice as much as Nisbet and Galley Bay at $1,500 a night.Its hardly worth it at that price. You should try Jumby Bay which has a better beach than both Nisbet and Galley Bay.
Another place which I feel is a sleeper is the Rock House on Harbor Island. Its a short walk to the beach. The other places on the beach including Pink Sands aren't nearly as nice plus the food at the Rock is one of the best places on the island. Check out the tripadvisor reviews.

I don't recommend the One and Only Ocean club on Paradise Island Nassau. The service is very spotty.
The Reefs in Bermuda is a gem to say the least. They are undergoing major renovations now until next spring. Once the renovations and contruction are completed,its worth a visit.