Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Our Stay at Caneel Bay, St. John (4-11 November)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 08:33 AM
owa

Forgive mistakes because I’m typing with one eye. I had my second cataract surgery in two weeks at seven this morning. Since I can’t drive for twenty-four hours, I thought this was a good time to write a report. Cataract surgery is truly an amazing procedure. The doctor said I will be thrilled with the difference while snorkeling. The only downside in the last two weeks is the sudden (?) appearance of dust in my house. I’m scared to take the patch off my eye this afternoon and see it thru two good eyes!!!

We went to Caneel from STX on November 4 for a week. This was our third time in six years at wonderful Caneel. It was even better than we had remembered. Bluefan's report does a good description of Caneel's beauty in terms of beaches and the grounds of the resort.

We thought the food and service was better than two years ago. We had the best lamb
chops we've ever had at the Estate House, and the Monday night seafood buffet was
\outstanding for salads and lobster. The desserts look all pre-made --like the kind you get at Sam's Club. Our package included breakfast and dinner. MORE than enough for one day. The resort was booked 100% with mostly wedding guests on both weekends we were there. Amounted to lots of loud party noise around some of the rooms. It wasn't in our section, but I talked to other guests that complained to the manager. I don't pay those prices to be kept up at night. Caneel has never been full the other two times we were there in November.

Snorkeling.
Two years ago we didn't leave Caneel for a week because of the wonderful seven beaches within walking distance. This year we had a car for one day to revisit the rest of the island as we did on our first trip to STJ six years ago. As the driver, my husband said he did not need to drive the island again. The driver really can't look around and enjoy the beauty of STJ because of the narrow, curvy roads.

Our first stop of the day was Trunk Bay. We snorkeled the trial to disappointing results, but decided we had to do it once. As we were walking to snorkel the trail, Ghengis (she posts here) called to me. We had met on STX and was I surprised to meet her again.

Our main goal was Francis Bay. We walked to the right (facing the water) where the beach ended and hit the water. We snorkeled almost to Mary's point and then cut across the water to snorkel the left side of Francis. Took us almost four hours. I saw the most beautiful Queen angelfish I have ever seen. The markings were outstanding. Also saw a school of about 25 tarpon moving quickly..

We snorkeled Caneel’s seven beaches numerous times. Our longest snorkel was from the far right of Hawksnest all the way past Turtle, Scott, Paradise to Caneel beach. Four plus wonderful hours viewing the beauty below. At Caneel, I am able to go snorkel while my husband is working. It is the only place where he will allow and feel comfortable with me snorkeling alone. I actually like going by myself. I like to stay in one spot and watch fish behavior. (Yes, I know what you are thinking. He works in paradise!! I don’t complain because at 66 he is still working at a job he loves and as a bonus, is racking up frequent flyer miles for more trips.) Caneel is definitely our favorite place in the Caribbean so far. How do I compare it to Bonaire? It is very different because Bonaire doesn’t have the beautiful beaches. We liked the snorkeling, the people, and the island of Bonaire and will go back. We are glad we did St. Croix, but we won’t go back.

We are going back to Caneel next August with our 2 daughters, their husbands, and four teen grandchildren for our 50th wedding anniversary. This wasn’t planned until a week ago. I thought we would go on the inside passage to Alaska because that is what the “big kids” thought would be a good trip. As I looked at it, and the price, I couldn’t get excited about being on a boat for 7 days (we did the inside passage twice on the cheap many years ago on our way to work in Barrow, Alaska) Then I looked at taking the train in Canada for a week. Again, I found I wasn’t thrilled about so little activity. It finally hit me. We are paying for this trip, I am planning it, I can decide. What really clinched it was a wonderful lady on the Northwest elite line. The ten of us live in Sioux Falls, SD and Bemidji, MN, all use Northwest Airlines, and all have many frequent flyer miles. This wonderful lady was willing to take the time to see if she could find us ten free seats on the same flights on the same day. I still can’t believe she was able to accomplish this miracle in fifteen minutes. She saved me a bundle of money. We will meet in Minneapolis, stay overnight in Atlanta, and be in St. Thomas by mid-afternoon. On the way back, we will have to stay overnight in Minneapolis. It is difficult for us to get anywhere in the Caribbean in one day. Everyone is very pleased as they have heard us
talk about Caneel for 6 years. Now I am excited!!!! .

I also had the pleasure of meeting Dianebridle also a poster on this board. Had a wonderful time talking and snorkeling Hawksnest together. Diane, if you read this, please e-mail me. I tried sending mailing, but it was bounced back. Owa

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice report owa. Caneel does sound lovely from your prespective.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 10:45 AM

owa, I so enjoyed reading your trip report. Glad that your return visit to Caneel was even better. The more I read about St. John from you and the other folks here, the more I think I should reconsider it for a snorkeling destination.

How splendid that the NW agent could find FF seats for your family's special trip next year. You're absolutely right--it's your anniversary, you're paying for it, and you should absolutely be the ones who decide where to go.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Owa!! I CAN'T believe you're writing this with one eye! You're very funny re: sudden dust. Glad the procedure is working for you.
Congratulations on the upcoming 50th!
I'm really hoping to meet you and your husband in Vieques. I'm right now figuring out how to plan our days as the trip is so short for us.
Thanks for sharing your Caneel Bay trip.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 11:25 AM
owa

caribtraveler, e-mail me and I will give you where we are staying and the telephone number. I remember you are there a short time, but I can't remember the dates. Sharon [email protected] Would love to meet you both. Maybe you can come to the house for a drink.

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Owa, thanks very much, I enjoyed that trip report!

Wow,you snorkel for four hours straight? I am quite impressed. Although I really love it, lately I get a bit queasy after about a half hour. But it is so rewarding to just hover and watch the beauty unfold beneath you, isn't it?

You must have been a child bride, because you live quite a young life!
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:54 PM
owa

Joan, We were 18 when we married, had our first daughter at 20, second at 21, and my husband had a PHD by age 24. I put him thru undergraduate school working for $1.25/hour. I shudder at the thought of my eighteen year old granddaughter being married. We have managed our ups and downs, saved our money, and are extremely grateful for what our lives are now.

I wonder if the wave action is what is causing your problems in the water. My neck sometimes gets tired from staying in the same position, but I am never the first to say "I've had enought". You are right about the beauty beneath the water. It is very spiritual for me.

Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:17 PM

owa,
thanks so much for reporting back! glad you had another terrific time at Caneel Bay.

you sound like my perfect traveling companion ; snorkeling for hours is a perfect blend of exercise and therapeutic relaxation for me as well

and hooray for deciding to go back for your 50th anniversary with your family; can't wait for that trip report!!!

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 02:12 AM

Hi Owa. I e-mailed you.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 03:35 AM

Thanks for the TR, Owa. I enjoyed reading about your snorkeling adventures.
Funny about the dust, too! Don't look under the bed!!
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:04 AM

Owa, I think I need you to be my snorkeling buddy! My DH isn't overly fond of snorkeling, which means I'm usually out there by myself in the water, which means I don't go out as far or stay out as long as I would with a companion. What say you?
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:26 AM
owa

ej, You name the place and time and I'll be there!! I'm just thankful my husband is willing to go out as long as he does. What he really likes is to go to new spots where the "element of surprise" might be just around the coral. Come and join Caribtraveler, Mahobaygirl and me in Vieques in January. Now wouldn't that be fun. Owa

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:41 AM

Now THAT would be FUN! Come on, ej!
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 08:38 AM

That sounds like a lot of fun. What are the dates again when all of you will be there? Meeting all of you at once really would be a great incentive to head down there...
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 09:49 AM
owa

ej, We three will be there from 7-15 January. Some of us for longer than others. We are all there the 10th thru the 13th. Are you really considering it? That would be great. Owa

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:12 AM

well, I'm "really" considering it in the sense that if I could find an airfare for under US $250 that it would be sorely tempting. I doubt it would happen, and I can't really put more money into such an impromptu trip, but it makes my heart glad to even consider it.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 01:03 PM

Mahobaygirl: Will I get to meet you too? That would be great. I'm seeing Owa on the 13th.

ejcrowe: I would LOVE to meet you. If not this trip, maybe one day in Antigua?
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 02:35 AM

Caribtraveler: I can meet you all on the 13th. Owa suggested right at Martineau...they have a nice little outdoor bar/patio/lunch area that overlooks the water.
ej: I typed in the random dates of 11 Jan to 18 Jan and got fares of 260$ with a layover in DC or Philly, still arriving by 2 pm. (Out of Logan)
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:24 AM

Mahobaygirl: I did get an e-mail from Owa about the location. That works great for me, obviously. Looking forward to meeting you too.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 04:34 AM

heh-- Mahobaygirl, you're making it easier and easier for me to say yes! I'll actually have check flights from Hartford as I'd rather have any number of unpleasant things happen to me than fly out of Logan. I'll go check now about a short getaway with the specific meeting date of 13 Jan. in mind. Ahh, it's sorely tempting, though the last thing I need to think about right now is spending more money on just myself right after the holidays!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -