Notices

One week on 7 mile beach with no car?

Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

One week on 7 mile beach with no car?

I am contemplating taking a family vacation (with two little ones - 2 and 4) to Grand Cayman in Feb/March. The cheapest direct flights require a Sat-Sat stay. We will probably rent a condo, so that works well, but I was hoping to avoid renting a car so we can travel without lugging the kids' car seats, especially since most of what we will do is enjoy the beach. I think I am OK with not having car seats to/from the airport, but given how long we will be there, I am thinking we will want to get out from the condo at least once or twice. So my questions are: where to stay that's within walking distance of some shops and restautants? Is the public transport on the island any good? Safe? Is it large city buses, or little jitney vans? What about paid excursions? What kind of transportation would those provide?
Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:47 PM

it's the law on gc so when you rent a car tell them you'll have 2 kids with you. not all rental companies have carseats but most do.
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM

You will probably leave the condo more than you think. Many of the restaurants on Grand Cayman are family friendly. You will also want to go to the supermarket. The buses are vans not large US city buses, not a great experience for little kids if they are crowded. As above, most rental car companies will rent you a car seat. The island is very safe compared to other islands in the Carribean
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know the quality of the car seat rentals? I know in the US, car seats from the car rental agencies are an iffy proposition. Off brands, dirty, hard to install, etc. I have been warned off of using carseats from rental car agencies in the US - is the same true in Grand Cayman?

Search this Thread