Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   One week in St. John and a week in Anguilla? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/one-week-in-st-john-and-a-week-in-anguilla-789930/)

palmtree2384 Jun 13th, 2009 06:47 PM

One week in St. John and a week in Anguilla?

Do you guys that have been to both of these places think this would work for a trip? Would we feel stressed going from one place to the other? I really want to go to both and can't decide on either one so I thought that maybe a week in both places could work?

Kristen1206 Jun 14th, 2009 04:15 AM

I love both islands but I personally would not pcik those two for the same vacation because of proximity. I would choose 2 tslnds which are a ferry ride or puddle jumper ride away from one another...such as St. John and Virgin Gorda
Anguilla and St. Martin/St. Barts.

But all things considered, they are relatively close islands so if you have your heart set on those islands (and like I said they are great choices and 2 of my fave islands), can get good flight times and don't mind a little extra travel time, then go for it!

caribtraveler Jun 14th, 2009 07:18 AM

If you can figure out how to get from one island to the other in an easy manner, why not? Especially if that's what YOU want. Did you research the flight yet? Maybe some of the local regional airlines fly between St. Thomas and Anguilla: Liat, Cape Air? I'm just guessing. Good luck! We really had a great time on both islands.

RoamsAround Jun 14th, 2009 04:45 PM

Getting from St. John to Anguilla is going to be difficult. You'll need to take a ferry from St. John to either St. Thomas or Beef Island (Tortola), then catch a flight to St. Martin and finally a ferry to Anguilla. It will not be inexpensive and will probably take you the better part of a full day to make the trip.

ejcrowe Jun 14th, 2009 05:31 PM

As somebody who is currently on the Anguilla half of a Grenada/Anguilla two week vacation, I say go for it! The islands are perfect foils for each other (just like I'm sure that St. John and Anguilla would be) and it was more than worth the travel time and hassle to get from Grenada to Anguilla last week. It has to be easier to do it from St. John. We elected to book our multi destination trip all with American/American Eagle, which would be easy enough for you to do. The multi-stop itinerary for us was only about $100 pp more than just flying to one or the other roundtrip from our home airport in the US.

If those are the islands that speak to you, I think it's worth a little effort to make it happen. Let us know what you decide.

kellybeaches Jun 15th, 2009 04:46 PM

Hi ej, I didn't realize you just got back! Looking forward to your TR :)

patrice123 Jun 18th, 2009 02:33 PM

Liat flies once per day from St. Thomas to Anguilla. I've thought about doing this as well. So just take the ferry from St. John to St. Thomas and then fly to Anguilla!

ejcrowe Jun 20th, 2009 03:18 AM

hi, kellybeaches. i'm on my last day of vacation today in Old San Juan. I've been making notes as I go along for my trip report, so with luck it won't be too long before it gets posted.

I have two exciting (well, to me) pieces of information, though. One is that while eating breakfast looking out over Meads Bay on Anguilla, a large (6-7 ft) hammerhead shark nearly beached itself on shore. It had chased another fish (about 3) and my guess is that it didn't notice how shallow the water was. Two waves had to wash over it before it free again from the beach. The other is that when checking into El Convento yesterday they asked if I would mind being upgraded to their presidential suite. Mind? Why on earth would I mind that?!

palmtree2384, now that we're on the other side of our Grenada/Anguilla split, I'm really happy that we made the effort to do it. Getting from St. John to Anguilla sounds like it would be even easier, so if those are the islands you really like, I'd urge you to do it!