Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > One week in PR - Help needed. SJ and Vieques??
Notices

One week in PR - Help needed. SJ and Vieques??

Nov 28th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

One week in PR - Help needed. SJ and Vieques??

Hello all,

We are thinking of heading to PR in April with our son, who will be around 2 at that time. We only have a week, so we were thinking of just picking two base locations and daytripping, etc. from there.

My first thought was to have 3-4 nights in San Juan and the remaining time on Vieques, but I was hoping for some feedback on that. Is that too much or not enough time? Is there enough to do to keep us occupied on Vieques for several days? Is there another logical base that you would recommend?

By way of background, we're pretty extensive international travelers, including my son - we just got back from a two week trip to Turkey and he loved it! We tend to stay in B&B type places, like adventures and outdoor excursions, and can only tolerate a day or two of just total beach relaxing. That being said, we do recognize the limitations of traveling with our little one (zip lining or sea kayaking probably not in the cards for another few years).

Any advice will be warmly welcomed! Thanks in advance!!
Nov 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM

You can see a lot of Puerto Rico if you base yourself in San Juan, but there's little on Vieques aside from the beach and the biobay tour (and I doubt your son would be allowed to go on that .... though I suppose you could get a babysitter for a few hours). The difficulty on Vieques is that the best places to stay aren't on the beach, and getting to the beach with a 2 year-old and all the stuff he needs may be a challenge. Have you ever considered maybe spending a few days in San Juan and a few days in a mountain lodge in El Yunque? There are a couple of places there if you feel comfortable doing some rainforest hikes with your son if he's not too big by then. Otherwise, I'd say in San Juan and just do day-trips.
Nov 29th, 2011, 02:47 AM

carrentals.com from the airport for me last

Lunquiilo beach El Ynque rain forest Camuy caves

Arecib observatory Ponce/Beaches...

Tonns of fun... might consider that if adventurous

Vieques an old military gunnery range converted to

a beach nice but boring might give it a pass.

Watch the new Johnny Depp bio of Hunter S Thompson

"Rum Dairies" to get in the mood I enjoyed it a lot.

Have fun!

Search this Thread