Sandals Negril or Couples Negril

Old Nov 17th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandals Negril or Couples Negril

Going on vacation with my boyfriend in May 2012 to Negril Jamaica Can someone help me out.. How is the weather in Negril in May, Pros and cons about Negril and Couples, And if anyone knows of a good place to book airfare and when is the best time to book airfare?
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 01:18 PM

bookit.com best packages Couples Swept Away best reviews

cheapest flights for me on Spirit.com from FLL

can get very cheap...

May begins a bit of rain weather2travel.com

might try March or April if possible.

Happy Travels!
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 01:35 PM
KVR

I've stayed at 2 Sandals and not impressed by them. OVerpriced for waht they really offer. Sandals Negril is one of ther first Sandals and has been in great need of refurbishment, but I think I read that it has been updated.

Couples gets better reviews. Have not stayed at one as I don't like their topless/au natural concept, which Sandals does not have. Of the two though, I would go with Couples Negril.

You might also look at Sunset at the Palms. It is across the street from the beach, but would be my pick over Sandals or Couples.

If you're not set on Negril, you might look at the Jewel Dunn's River in Ocho Rios. It used to be a Sandals, but was purchased and re-done about 1 1/2 years ago. That resort gets better reviews than either Couples or Sandals. We are booked there for December.

Do you need to book air and hotel or just air? Packages are usually cheaper than just booking air alone. On-line sites such as Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Cheap Caribbean, Beach Destinations, and Book it are popular. Or, try Kayak.com which searches all those sites for you. Also check with the local airlines in your area for their deals or vacation packages.

The website retailmenot.com has discount promo codes for Orbitz. Usually $45 off a 4 night or more trip and $100 off a 7 night or more trip. However, I have found even with the promo code Travelocity and Expedia beats Orbitz. I also found that Orbtiz doesn't offer as many hotel options as other sites.

For May, you can look now, but prices may go down after the first of the year. When I'm looking to book, I have a specific budget in mind and look almost everyday until I can find a pacakage that meets or beats my set budget. For our Jamaic trip, I started looking this past June and prices were around $2,700. I waited and when it hit $2,200 in October I booked it.

I'm looking now for Barbados in July, but will probably wait until April or May to book. Typically, when you find a price that looks good, in your budget and what you can live with book it and then don't look anymore.
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you guys for all the great information... We will be going the first week in may so im hopping the weather will still be good Gonna look around im thinking after the 1 st of the new year for air.Right now its going for around 1000.00 for two round trip from los angeles..
Old Nov 26th, 2011, 06:45 PM

As mentioned above, May can be tricky weather-wise in Jamaica. You might want to check the averages before you book.

If you don't need an AI, there are lots of affordable small hotels on the beach, which I would recommend over either Sandals or Couples Negril. We really like Coco La Palm, especially the upper floor junior suites. It's on the best part of the beach, and quite affordable, especially in the shoulder season.

I also like Idle Awhile, which is next door to Coco, with smaller rooms, but slightly more upscale.

Food in Jamaica is very good and not that expensive, so we never go AI.

Anyway, good luck with the planning!
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 06:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Negril, but would also try to talk you out of staying at a big All-Inclusive. There are loads of smaller independent hotels both on the beach and up on "the cliffs" and no shortage of great bars and restaurants.