Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

One parent and 8 year old girl : Would like destination advice from similar people who have been recently!

One parent and 8 year old girl : Would like destination advice from similar people who have been recently!

May 23rd, 2002, 12:48 PM
kristen

Would like to go in April or May: anywhere in Caribbean. Somewhere us two 'girls' would enjoy. Appreciate any recommendations. We are travelling from Vancouver, Canada.
Thank you.

May 23rd, 2002, 01:16 PM
Brian

Kristen,
I took two 10 year olds to Cane Garden Bay,Tortola last July. We stayed at the Elm Beach Suites,which is no Ritz but is clean and has a mini kitchen,and your right on the beach.You can walk to lots of restaurants,and there are mini stores to buy provisions. The owner Elvet Meyers is a real character,and his barbacue on Wednesday and Sunday nights are the best,and only $10! There are also water sports here and we felt very safe here. C heck out his website,which I think is Elm Beach Suites.com We paid $85 a night for 10 nights.

May 24th, 2002, 06:44 AM
kristen

Thank yo Brian. More answers please.

May 24th, 2002, 06:44 AM
kristen

Thank you Brian. More answers please.

May 24th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Karen

I would recommend the Caymans or TCI as they are very safe. Some of the islands are not too safe especially for a lone female traveling w/ a young daughter. They are more expensive than some other islands but beautiful, safe & clean

May 24th, 2002, 12:59 PM
cdt

We've taken the kid to a few different islands and we thought Aruba was better than most for a family - safer than average, and more activities for kids than average.

May 24th, 2002, 03:22 PM
linda

While tortola tremains one of my favorite places, I don't think my 8 yr old would fully appreciate it. Cayman, yes. Atlantis (Bahamas) she would probably love! Have you considered a cruise? My 8 yr old and 12 yr old BEG for cruises now that the've done them. VERY safe , organized excursions, and with activities for kids, Mom can have some time for herself!

May 25th, 2002, 11:11 AM
shelley

Also look into Our Lucaya on Grand Bahama. Very reasonable and very family oriented. Met quite a few single parents who were there with their children. Had a wonderful time.

May 25th, 2002, 12:09 PM
kristen

Thanks so much everyone. I really appreciate the advice.