One day in Aruba/Our anniversary

Old Nov 25th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One day in Aruba/Our anniversary

We are taking a two week cruise to celebrate our 30th anniversary. On our "special" day we will be docked in Aruba. We have never been to this island and rather than take one of the excursions we were thinking of spending the day just the two of us. Not sure what to expect since we have not been there before. We would enjoy a walk on the beach, followed by a wonderful lunch with perhaps a cocktail or two. Maybe some shopping. Can anyone tell me if the port is close to Palm beach. Are taxis readily available? Would we be able to walk on the beach there or are the resorts private? Any ideas?? One last question...my husband is an ex diver and LOVES to snorkel. We will have plenty of opportunities to snorkel during the two weeks and I would rather skip snorkeling on this day BUT if this is an absolute MUST SNORKEL port I don't want him to miss out. Thanks for any help
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:00 AM
WWK

The port is about 15 minutes or so from Palm Beach,depending on traffic. For a great lunch, try SIMPLY FISH, or BAREFOOT, or for something simpler, AMORE PIZZA OR GIANNIS, which are in the same shopping "mall" strip as a fantastic gelateria!

Taxis should be easily available, but if you need the name of a driver to pick you up, post back. We just returned from Aruba for the fifth time a few days ago.

Resorts are private, but there is a place at the pier near RIU where you can rent a chair/umbrella on Palm Beach for a few hours/day.

Not sure about the snorkeling, since we are always beach slugs, but I think you may find decent snorkeling at Baby Beach? Maybe
another poster here knows more about that.

I don't think Aruba is really known for its snorkeling.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 06:18 AM
KVR

Aruba is not a must for snorkeling. There is good shopping in the downtown area and around Palm Beach. The beach side of Palm Beach there are several dining options. Bugaloe would be a good option for something casual and right on the beach.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Great information, thank you! Is anyone familiar with a resort on Aruba that has day passes?
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 10:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the past both the Occidental and the Riu in Aruba offered day passes that included meals and alcohol and use of the beach, pools, etc. You can check with them to see if they still offer them.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 11:16 AM

The brand new Ritz Carlton opened last Friday. Since it's a special day why not look into their facilities. They always have a great restaurant or two. I would contact the Ritz directly to see if they offer day passes.

I agree with everyone else. Aruba is definitely not a must do snorkeling destination.
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 12:17 PM
KVR

Day passes are pretty expensive. I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time or money hanging at a resort and not actually see the Island. Aruba has tons of great restaurants and bars and part of the experience there is trying them. From the pier, I would go to the downtown area and look around then head to Palm Beach. Eat lunch at one of the beach restaurants and then walk down the shopping strip across from the hotels.

For other things that might interest you check out DePalm.com
Old Nov 26th, 2013, 04:15 PM

Hi. I've been to Aruba about 7 times and have never been sightseeing. The Palm Beach area is great for what you've described...great for a stroll on the beach. Taxis are readily available. As stated earlier, perhaps the Ritz Carlton for the day would be just the ticket. It's brand new and is upscale for your special day. With the weather being awesome (sunny, rarely cloudy, slightly windy), I have never wanted to go shopping. The stores by the port will be the same stores at the other ports. The New York Times just posted an article in their Travel Section for 36 hours on Aruba http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/10/tr...ruba.html?_r=0 They mention White Modern Cuisine as a fantastic restaurant. Never been there but close to Palm Beach and I will go next time on the island. If you like German food, I recommend Bavaria Food & Beer as I have found the food to be authentic. http://www.bavaria-aruba.com/home.html As I run this part of the island when visiting, I have past a restaurant right on the beach called Passions, in front of the Amsterdam Manor. Never been there but looks romantic. That part of the beach is wide and expansive and also good for a stroll.
Salt & Pepper has the best pitcher of sangria IMO. If you bring a set of salt & pepper shakers, you get a free glass of sangria.
Paseo Herencia is across the street from the Holiday Inn/Playa Linda for shopping. A mall that was erected in the past 7 years.
The Renaissance Hotel in downtown does have a private island if you wanted to see if that was available to you. They boat you over to it. It's nice but does take about 45 minutes to get over to there (if memory serves correctly as it has been a few years now).
The buses run up and down the island often as well as the mini vans that charge the same amount. I believe it was $1.25 American one way the last time I was on the island. They are just as fast as taxis and just as reliable. I take them to go food shopping on the island as well as when I want to go downtown from Palm Beach.
On the grounds of the Holiday Inn Sunspree, there is a water craft business with banana boats, catamarans, water skiing and such.
Enjoy!
Old Nov 27th, 2013, 04:21 PM
WWK

With all due respect to KVR who's a really lovely poster, we ate at BUGALOE last week and everything ( drinks, food) other than the scenery was awful! There are much better places to go.
Old Nov 28th, 2013, 01:06 AM

We thought Malmok Beach had pretty good snorkelling with easy access into the water. As for scuba diving, we did the Antilla wreck dive which is in Malmok Bay (you can also snorkel) and an airplane wreck dive near the Renaissance hotel. If you enjoy snorkelling it would be a pity to miss the Antilla.
Old Dec 4th, 2013, 07:59 PM

KVR gave a link to DePalm Island

We spent a few hours there as part of a kayaking trip ($99pp). We kayaked over, had a snorkel tour, laid on the beach, snorkeled some more, ate, laid on the beach- the open bar drinks were free flowing.

Transportation is part of the package $124pp for a full day.

I don't know that I'd kayak over again though, the trip back was interesting to say the least Too many cocktails!
Old Dec 5th, 2013, 07:18 AM
KVR

WWK, I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe they were having an off day that day.

We thought Aruba had some good snorkeling. The problem is it's not from the beach in the resort areas. You have to take a boat excursion or drive to various parts of the Island to get to it. For a one day cruise stop, Aruba is not a must for snorkeling unless that is something you really want to accomplish.