One Cruise ship too many?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am ready to book my stingray snorkel trip. I checked the port authority web site and on Friday 11th there is one cruise ship scheduled. Will that still make it too busy at the sandbar? Should I try for Sat or Sun?
I would like to go on a sail type boat with fewer people if possible.. Dexter is out of town, Crosyby Ebanks is M-F only, other good options?
Thank you!
Old May 4th, 2004, 11:35 AM

If you mentioned what Island and city you are trying to book the charter from in your post, somebody might be able to figure out what you're talking about and offer some help.
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:02 PM

I think she is referring to Grand Cayman.

One cruise ship in port is fine. Be lucky you don't have to go on a day when there are 5!

Captain Marvin's is another good option...

I don't Sat vs. Sunday matters...unless there are way more ships in one day vs. the other.

Have fun!
Old May 4th, 2004, 02:23 PM

I just want to tell you my story. I traveled April 13-16, every day there was a ship in port, and that being atleast 3. To make a long story short, we opted to go when there were not as many ships in port. END RESULT: Our last two days all trips to Sting Ray City and the Sandbar were cancelled because of wind conditions.

Get a feel for the amt of ships in port and select on a day that there are few, however decide earlier in on your trip so you don't miss the opportunity. The conditions were perfect (so I thought) the last two days, but I am sure there were reasons for the cancellation. You also don't want to be crowded if there are 3-5 cruiseships in port

Quite honostly as sad as I was, it didn't bother me, I know that I will be returning to GC so there will be another time for stingrays, lol Enjoy your trip
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Sorry that I did not specify Grand Cayman..it was on the menu when I posted so I thought it would be automatic. Thanks for the advice I appreciate the help!
Old May 4th, 2004, 04:56 PM

I'm sure that has happened to all most of us one time or another; you click on the island you want to post under thinking it would specify...its ok, I've done that too, lol Correct me if I'm wrong, but come on now, there has got to be be only one Sting Ray City that I know of.
Old May 7th, 2004, 12:13 PM

We went with Bob Soto out of the treasure island resort. i think its www.bobsoto.com
It was a 1/2 day trip and we where the only ones there. I know there were ships in port but we had no problem with crowds on the trip. The are is also pretty large so you arent right on top of people should other join you.
Old May 13th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Red Sail Sports does trips to the sandbar twice a day I think from the Hyatt. It's a very large catamaran, which may be as close to a sailboat as you may get. We've gone twice with them and they do a really nice job, although they are a bit more expensive. Saturday and Sunday are great days to go since there are usually no cruise ships in port. You can check out their website at redsailsports.com