Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Off season in St Martin (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/off-season-in-st-martin-826369/)

hs26 Feb 13th, 2010 01:14 PM

Off season in St Martin

Hi!

I'm planning on booking my vacation soon. Planning on going to ST Martin in June and am wondering if all the restaurants will be open. I know it is low season and hotel rates were much cheaper in June but I hope the whole island will not be shut down. Thanks!

DavidSXM Feb 13th, 2010 02:48 PM

The island will not be 'shut down', but the earlier you make it here in June the better, as things DO wind down later in the month.

As there are around 400 'restaurants' (some of them more realistically just places to eat !) on this 37 square mile island - spread between the French and Durch side - you certainly won't starve !

You will still find plenty to do at that time of year, and naturally, as it is the end of the 'season', the room rates - and many other things - are cheaper.

Barbara1 Feb 14th, 2010 08:03 AM

almost everything is open in the island in June.
It is more July into August and September that you find some things closed, especially on the French side..not so much so on the Dutch side.

JohnTRN Mar 21st, 2010 06:50 AM

Good Morning all!

I'm glad I ran across this thread. We'll be visiting end of July - beginning of August and had not thought about places shutting down in the off season.

DavidSXM and Barbara1, if you have any suggestions on things to do that time frame, I'd be all ears. <grin>

We'll be staying in Simpson Bay and enjoy touring about, will have a car and do plan on exploring the island. We enjoy snorkeling and three of the four of us are divers. We all enjoy eating, but I would not describe us as gourmets. We plan to do some of our own cooking (any suggestions for buying fresh seafood?), enjoy local cuisine and definitely plan to look for some of the lolos (Talk of the Town, Sky's the Limit), will eat a couple of 'nice' meals and are open to suggestions. Shopping will be on the list. We enjoy the beach, but will neither spend the entire time at our accomodations, nor, lying on the beach.

From reading, it seems as if the French Fort is better kept up than the Dutch Fort? Paradise Peak sounded like it might be a place to visit.

Appreciate any suggestions from you! Thanks.

Cheers!

John

travellover22 Apr 12th, 2010 03:39 AM

You can get fresh fish from marigot market.
Go for at least one nice meal in Grand Case, would also highlt recommend Temptation on Dutch side.
From French Port great view over Marigot Bay so well worth it.
You may find http://www.st-martin-maarten.com really useful in planning what to do and getting discount vouchers for restaurants...

Barbara1 Apr 12th, 2010 07:28 AM

hi John
if you are staying in Simpson bay, there is a fresh fish market right there by the bridge although the Marigot market has more variety I think. you have to go early in the morning at either one to get fresh fish.
at the Simpson bay market,there are several good local restaurants too. Well known Johnny under the Tree has one there called jack fish, I think.
good food.
speaking of local food, if you haven't been to Yvette's in Orleans, you really must try it. it is great.
most of the restaurants on the Dutch side will be open. it is more the french side restaurants that close down in off season, but as David says, you won't starve.
if you want a "nice" restaurant to eat in one night, try Granduca at Maho. It is Italian and definitely worth the price.
Enjoy!
the French side fort is a better bet than the Dutch side one. paradise peak is gorgeous but be careful as there are lots of robberies there sometimes.
there is a great place part way up Paradise Peak called Loterie farm. nice place to eat in a gorgeous setting and they have zip lines for the more adventurous ones.

JohnTRN Apr 19th, 2010 05:55 AM

Thanks for the reply travellover22 and Barbara1.

Sounds like the we'll have to check out both fish markets! I've a growing list of restaurants and appreciate your suggestions. Loterie farm is on our list and my brother and I may check out the zip line (don't think wives will be game!); sounds like fun, but I've read a few 'questionable' posts regarding their safety.

Cheers!

John