Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   October Honeymoon Help (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/october-honeymoon-help-784127/)

w351 May 11th, 2009 07:02 PM

October Honeymoon Help

I posted this in Travel Tips and Ideas and received no responses so I'm going to try again!

October Honeymoon Ideas Posted by: w351 on May 5, 2009 at 12:25 PM
Posted in: Travel Tips & Trip Ideas

I need help thinking of good places to go for a honeymoon in October-November of 2010. We would like somewhere that will be hot during the day (80-90 degrees F), have nice beaches and five star luxury, but also things to do besides just sitting on the beach. I would think we should avoid the Carribean altogether due to hurricane season, but let me know if you think otherwise. Please help!!!

LiseG May 12th, 2009 04:55 AM

Hi w351

The hurricane season is usually between August and October, but we have been on many cruises in October and never had any problems.

Of course I would suggest a cruise :) since we are pretty much addicts and pick one that would be going further South in the Caribbean if you're afraid of hurricanes. But also know that Captains know when bad weather that's coming and will sail around it.

My choice of land honeymoon would be St Lucia, Barbados, St Martin, all have nice beaches,hot weather and things to visit. In Barbados we snorkeled with giant turtles and visited caves. We took a tour of the island of St Lucia and it was very interesting.

Good luck
Lise
http://carib-cruises.com

w351 May 26th, 2009 07:51 AM

Thank you for getting back to me Lise. We generally prefer land trips to cruises, and just took a cruise not long ago so would like something different.

I've heard the land places you mentioned are all wonderful but am still nervous about hurricanes, and rain if not....has anyone been on an island with a nearby hurricane? What are the chances of this and what do the hotels do to ensure your safety?

virginia May 26th, 2009 08:25 AM

hot days = all islands from bahamas to aruba and mexcio will have hot weather in oct/nov. as well the water temp will be at its highest for the year. if it rains it will probably last for 5 - 20 mins.
if there is a hurricane after you are on island the resort will attempt to get you off the island or send you inland to someplace safer than the beach. most storms seem to run in the northern part of the islands making st. lucia, barbados and the abc's safer bets.

the only true 5* in the islands is, i believe, the four seasons on nevis. nevis is a tiny island with not a lot of activities.
that said almost every island has top notch resorts.
you mention looking for lots of activities. specifically what do you have in mind? golf/tennis, scuba/snorkeling, zip-lines, horseback, boating (sailing, kayaks) historical touring, hiking/biking???
do you have a picture in your mind of your island? lush and hilly island or blinding white sand?
big resort or small? are you looking for all inclusive? where will you travel from? and if you could tell us your actual resort budget ppl will be better able to suggest specific resorts for you to consider.

RoamsAround May 26th, 2009 08:25 AM

No one can predict with any certainty if a hurricane will strike a particular island during any given period much less tell you if a hurricane will even form in October or November. The Caribbean is just too big an area and there are just too many islands. If there are no major storms near the island you visit you are likely to experience some very good weather conditions.

You are going to find that no matter where you go for your honeymoon you won't know what the weather will be like until you actually get there.

While there are no gurantees most people will tell you the further south you go in the Caribbean the less chance there is of encountering a hurricane. That's why many people recommend island like Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire for those who are travelling in October or November. Other islands that are relatively "hurricane free" include Grenada and Barbados.

denmal May 26th, 2009 10:39 AM

You could go to Aruba - it normally is out of the hurricane strike zones. The beaches are great and there are MANY resourts.

w351 May 26th, 2009 01:10 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I have a lot to look into now!

As far as activities, we'd like pretty much all of the ones you listed, Virginia, aside from scuba (we would do snorkel though.) My fiancee would love to golf a few times if possible.

As far as my vision of the island, I'd love to have clear water and a beach, and beyond that, I'm not really sure...In a perfect world I'd have lush and hilly and blinding white sand!

We did an AI a few months ago and loved it but I think our hotel was an exceptionally good AI...the food was really good, we didn't need reservations for dinner, it was fairly small, etc. Would love an AI if we could find a really nice one, but are not limiting ourselves to that.

Not really picky on small resort vs. big.

We'll be leaving from Chicago and do not have a budget set yet. We'll be pooling all of our resources to make it a nice trip though so please give me your best suggestions!

jimmcc58 Aug 31st, 2009 08:01 AM

If you want luch and hilly, then Aruba is NOT the place for you! I've been to St. Martin 3 times in October in recent years, and the weather has not been an issue. Last year I was in Antigua and we caught in the tail end of a hurricane. We made the best of it for a day and a half, and the rest of the weather was fine. Good luck!