Notices

October Honeymoon

Jan 23rd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

October Honeymoon

As suggested by the title, I'm getting married in October of this year and need to figure out a great romantic Caribbean getaway for our honeymoon. I'm leaning towards the Caribbean because we are traveling from the southeast US, but I'm not opposed to any recommended Mexican resorts either. Our budget for the trip (including taxes) is under $6,000 for a week not including travel expenses. I'd like to get feedback from other users on their experiences at particular resorts and not just what they have read about them. Some of the items on our wishlist include:

Private beachfront condo, villa, or bungalow preferably with A/C
All inclusive is not a must, but it would be nice (with good food not just buffet style)
Available activities such as hiking, biking, snorkeling, and/or sailing
Spa on the resort
Private plunge pool or at the very least a private hot tub

I understand it may be hard, if not impossible, to find all of these amenities on our budget. If any of you know of a great place that meets most or all of these please let me know. We do understand we will be there during the rainy season and we intend to get trip insurance should the worst case scenario (hurricane) occur.

Thanks!
Jan 24th, 2013, 04:29 AM

Many Caribbean hotel/resorts and restaurants are closed in October so you'll have to check if the ones people recommend will, in fact, be open. the good thing is at that time of year room rates are at their lowest so your $6,000 budget will go far.

That said, for condos check out some of the many "condo-resorts" on Grace Bay on the island of Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos. There are at least 20 different "resorts" you can choose from.

St. Martin has quite a few "time share" condos that are available for rent. It's one of the more "year round" populated islands so you'll find fewer closures. No need for going AI on this islands as it has hundreds of restaurants, beach bars and roadside stands where you can dine fairly reasonably.

If you are intent on going AI look at resorts in the Dominican Republic - it's the AI capital of the Caribbean. You'll also find lots of AI's in Cancun and Playa del Carmen.
Jan 24th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks we will definitely make sure the resorts we look at are, in fact, open. Most I've seen still take customers but at a discounted rate because, as you said, it's low season. We are also looking for places in Central America or Mexico since there is less risk of hurricane weather there. I'll be sure to check out the types of places you suggested though.
Jan 24th, 2013, 09:38 AM

I think Turks and Caicos would be excellent. Gorgeous upscale resorts well within your budget.

Romantic settings at the restaurants, on the dunes of the beach with excellent food. Some places has tiki torches and firepits too. And here's ultra romantic:

Some of the restaurants will set up a private table on the beach for dinner surrounded by tiki torches, etc. You can also have a romantic day trip to an isolated cay with stunning beach, companies will take you out by boat, include food, drinks, lounge chairs, umbrellas.

Not high on the AI though, as Beaches is very kid friendly!

The other resorts in your budget are terrific, try the following:

Point Grace
Somerset
Grace Bay Club
Seven Stars
West Bay Club
Gansevoot

There are other really nice resorts to consider too

Search this Thread