Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Ocho Rios, Jamaica: Couples or Grand Lido Sans Souci (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/ocho-rios-jamaica-couples-or-grand-lido-sans-souci-266207/)

Cindy Oct 15th, 2002 08:54 PM

Ocho Rios, Jamaica: Couples or Grand Lido Sans Souci

Hello! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Jamaica in June. We would like to spend part of the time at a resort hotel in Negril and part of the time at an all-inclusive in Ocho Rios. Which do you recommend in Ocho Rios -- Couples or Grand Lido San Souci?? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Catherine F. Jan 2nd, 2003 02:43 PM

Just returned from our wedding and honeymoon at GL Ochos Rios last night and after talking to other people who stayed at both - go Grand Lido for sure!! They said the service, the food and the water pressure was inferior at Couples Ochos Rios by far.<BR><BR>We've also stayed at the other 2 GL's and they are each unique. Braco is the newest and has beautiful architecture, while Negril has the best beach, of course.<BR><BR>We loved GL! It is set on a cliff with spectacular grounds, 4 pools, a nice beach and excellent staff! The gala they put on Friday night is amazing, as well as a beach party Tuesday nights!

Kim Jan 2nd, 2003 03:12 PM

Couples is not that nice. Rooms and service could have been a bit better. Go to Grand Lido much nicer. They also give free manicures and pedicures, and I even think massages too.

traveler Jan 2nd, 2003 03:24 PM

Grand Lido Braco is the nicest of the three Grand Lido's. Grand Lido Negril, in my opinion, is a bit overrated. The rooms are not all that great for the price you'll pay. Instead, consider staying at Couples Negril which is upscale and very nice.

not Jan 2nd, 2003 03:44 PM

Couples Negril is no where near upscale. You could stay at a Holiday Inn better than that place. Where have you been to compare this property with to say it is upscale? Super 8! Try staying at a few 4 or 5 star resorts once in while.

JLK Jan 4th, 2003 05:00 PM

I guess you haven't been to many message boards lately? There has not been one negative word posted about Couples Negril in my weeks of research! It is always rated as &quot;top notch&quot; alongside the Grand Lidos. Perhaps you are thinking of Sandals, Negril, which has really slid downhill over the years....being about 15 years old. In general, the &quot;Couples&quot; resorts are much nicer than the Sandals.

Shel Feb 2nd, 2003 11:30 AM

Grand Lido Sans Souci is by far the way to go!! Complimentary spa treatments, hammocks for 2, a wedding gazebo overlooking the ocean, and all of the rooms have an ocean view! Suggestion: Have the resort book inter-air transport. It's an extra $130pp round trip, but soooo worth it! (You'll save about an hour &amp; 1/2) We stayed for 6 nights, and spent $3200 (all airfare included!) Best wishes!

cnmiranda Feb 2nd, 2003 11:52 AM

Have only stayed at Grand Lido San Souci and enjoyed it very much. I am a spa person so the treatments included sold me. I'm pretty sure all the rooms have an ocean view too? Make sure you check around as much as possible for rates as mine differed as much as $700 for the same dates. I tried a travel agent, AA Vacations, the hotel direct and consolidators. Best wishes too!