Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page > Ocean Villa at Jalousie - desirable units locations

Ocean Villa at Jalousie - desirable units locations

Jan 21st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Ocean Villa at Jalousie - desirable units locations

We recently booked a stay at Jalousie Plantation feb 28 - march 10 2008.

We made the reservation for an ocean villa through travelocity.

My questions:
do you think I can call the hotel and request a unit with an obustructed view?

Is is better to be lower or higher up on the hill?

any recommendations for desirable unit numbers?

Thanks so much for all the great information on these boards.

Jan 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM

In my experience based on a stay in 2001, even the ocean view cottages had somewhat limited views because the plantings around each cottage provided a great deal of privacy. Our ocean view cottage was in the second grouping up the hill from the water and we had to sometimes look around trees and shrubs to see the water--this was fine for us because it also meant that our neighbors couldn't see us at all (or at least not without really making an effort) when we were on our patio and in our plunge pool.
Jan 29th, 2008, 08:30 AM

do you think I can call the hotel and request a unit with an obustructed view?

-- I emailed the hotel to do this but I'm sure you could call as well. I prefer to always have a record of everything in writing.

Is is better to be lower or higher up on the hill?

-- Definitely lower IMO - less time getting to the beach. However I did notice a couple of units from the beach higher up that looked like they'd have fantastic views, but only a couple. I dont know the numbers though.

any recommendations for desirable unit numbers?

-- 100s. See tripadvisor - a poster has listed all the best unit numbers. I unfortunately tossed my notes or I'd list them here. I know she said all 100s were good (which is why I requested one of them), and there were about 3 or 4 good units in the 300s, and maybe 2 in the 500s. I overheard one couple who'd stayed there before raving about #108 and how disappointed they were not to get it again. However I dont think 108 is a suite.

One thing if you stay in the middle of the 100s - the helipad is right there a few feet down from your patio. It never disturbed our sleep but it's very noisy. I'd say on average there were maybe 3 or 4 take-offs/landings. So that's a reason to stay higher up if you want total quiet. We also could hear loud music a few nights coming from the Pier which is just down the road from the 100s.

Search this Thread