Reload this Page >

Ocean Club Turks vs 4 Seasons Nevis with 16 month old

Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM
jmp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have stayed at Four Seasons Big Island, Biras in Virgin Gorda - primarily upscale resorts.

Now we have a baby and would like to go away with him in January when he will be 17 months - he walks - is very curious and adventurous.

Someone recommended Ocean Club Turks, but told me to be prepared that it is not what I am used to...(i don't usually do laundry on vacation)

I really don't want to spend a fortune and I know that it is hard to avoid during high season....

Is there somewhere in between these two places where my husband and I won't have to compromise on what we are used to, but still have a great time with the baby.

Does that make sense?

Thanks
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 12:43 PM

well, if you definitely want to go to T&C, take a look at Coral Gardens. It's a more upscale condo complex than the Ocean Clubs.

Be forewarned that the water in T&C is considered by many to be a little chilly in January. If you like your water very warm, you would be better off with 4S Nevis. And if you want a beautiful island with a gorgeous landscape, you'd be better off on Nevis anyway. That 4S is very child friendly.

Check out posts here by MIM04, who frequently posts here about her travels with her toddler. She usually rents villas or condos for space reasons. I know she's done both T&C and NEvis with her little one.
Old Nov 9th, 2005, 01:12 PM

if you are used to the Four Seasons, Ocean Club may be quite a departure. I agree with ejcrowe on Coral Gardens. Four Seasons Nevis will cost you a fortune in high season.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 05:54 AM
jmp
Original Poster

thanks for your help....I think Turks is out since the water won't be warm and we also want to go somewhere a little quieter. Turks was described to me as "like Miami Beach" and that's not what we are looking for.

we would consider condo type resorts - maybe Anguilla...

Old Nov 10th, 2005, 07:47 AM

Turks is not like Miami Beach! It is a very quiet island, just a little more built up than Anguilla, but Anguilla is starting to build too!!!
Some people may think Turks is a little chilly in Jan, but we take our toddler then and it's been fine. We've also have taken her to Anguilla, stayed at Cusinart. Actually, she's been all over the Caribbean. We took her to Four Seasons in Exumas.
Last Jan was unusually cooler in most of the Caribbean. When we were in Anguilla, the water wasn't as warm as other times. It's no cooler than Ocean City Maryland in June, actually, Ocean City can feel chilly!
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 09:32 AM

We were on Turks this past year and the condos worked out really well with our 18mnth old. We never did laundry on vacation but it was nice to have all the amenities with the baby. Turks will be cooler in Jan. Anguilla would be a good choice. Look into Frangipani as they have some suites with kitchens.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 09:38 AM
jmp
Original Poster

Thanks for your help...Has any one been to Ku - a new property on Anguilla - I think it's owned by the people who own Cap Jaluca.

If I'm used to staying at resorts will staying at a condo be disappointing? What is the main difference? It seems that I can get bigger room space at a condo, but am giving up some of the amenities - although most condos have restaurants, correct?

thanks again
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 09:51 AM

With condos, you're gaining the extra space of added bedroom(s), a kitchen, full facilities. You may give up daily housekeeping, concierge, beach service, restaurant choices on site, etc. Many condo complexes offer both a pool and a restaurant and some of them are very luxuriously furnishes, such as the penthouse suites at Coral Gardens, or the minimalist chic Cove Castles on Anguilla.

You might even want to consider renting a villa on your own--these can be quite luxurious--and some come fully staffed. These would be in keeping with some of the more upscale resorts you've stayed, both in terms of levels of luxury and price. You can have a full time cook or chef and possibly even a nanny so that you and your husband can explore by day or night and feel safe knowing that someone reputable is with your child.
Old Nov 10th, 2005, 09:58 AM

Condos work well for families as there's usually more room to spread out. Some condos offer amenities similar to full scale resorts but you'll generally get what you pay for meaning full sevice condos can get pricey. Condos will have kitchen facilities so you can prepare some or all of your meals, you'll have in-unit laundry facilities. Depending on the condo you may get daily maid sertvice or maybe only twice weekly - it depends on where you stay. As to whether or not the condo has a restaurant again it depends on where you stay - most do but not all.

If you are considering a condo but like up-scale accomodations and upscale services you should look at the upscale condos.

I've been to the T&C's in January and agree with the others that the weather can be cool. Consider going further south. It's going to be high season no matter where you choose so be prepared for some "sticker shock".

Anguilla is a nice choice but since you expressed concern about "not spending a fortune" be forewarned that Anguilla is one of the mose expensive islands in the Caribbean to visit (many upscale reorts and restaurants). That's not to imply you can't find more modest acomodations and restaurants. You can but you will have to compromise a bit.