Ocean Club Resorts

Aug 11th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Ocean Club Resorts

When planning to travel with a family of five (three kids, 7-13), does anyone out there have an opinion about which of the resorts to choose? Are there any advantages or disadvantages between the original Ocean Club or the newer Ocean Club West? What about noise (we are not night people) or proximity to other large resorts (detractor for us)? Where is there good snorkeling in relation to these resorts? Is there walk-in snorkeling access or do you have to arrange boats to take you out to reefs? Are there likely to be other families with kids in June? Any info would be helpful.
Aug 11th, 2003, 01:45 PM

Ocean Club is next to Club Med so can be a litle noisy at times. OCWest is newer. It is within walking distance of Ports of Call Shopping Plaza and about 1/2 dozen restaurants. OCWest has a pool bar/restaurant but don't think is has a dinner restaurant yet. You can take the OC shuttle to Gecko Grill the Ocean Club evening restaurant. Between the two I would pick OCWest. Suspect you will find families with kids as school is out in June. Only place for good snorkeling from the beach is at Coral Gardens which is at least 1/2 hour walk from OCWest. There are lots of tour operators who do 1/2 day snorkel tours. Check out www.wherewhenhow.com the on line magazine of the Turks and Caicos and www.adamsnames.tc--Click on TC and links for all sorts of Provo info
Aug 11th, 2003, 02:42 PM

We just returned from a stay at Ocean Club. It is at the very end of the beach so there is nothing to the east. Club Med is to the west, but I did not find it noisy at all unless you went down in front of Club Med. We also have 3 kids (11-17). There were a number of families there. While OC is "old" it did not feel "worn", and it was nice and quiet. We found that we were able to get to a number of restaurants by walking and taking the shuttle to OC West and walking from there. We walked down the beach to Anacaona and Mango Reef. We did rent a car for 3 of our 10 days there, but I'm not completely convinced it was really necessary. Good luck. We had a great time.
Aug 11th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. The comment about the best walk-in snorkeling being at Coral Gardens has also got me looking there. Anybody have any comments abou that facility? OC versus OC West seems to be a matter of taste. Not much is significantly different that I can tell. We mostly want a beautiful beach with great swimming, comfortable accommodations, and a pool. I hear other than the beach and the water that Provo is flat and ugly--true?
Aug 11th, 2003, 05:40 PM

Coral Gardens did have great snorkeling - no question. My only concerns about staying there would be the increased traffic this brings to the beach. They also had a great (and expensive) restaurant, Coyoba's (thanks Howard for that rec ). The other thing about Coral Gardens is it is next to Beaches, it's a bit down because there are houses between the two, but Beaches was really crowded. We also considered the Sands and did eat there one night. The grounds were very nice and the view from their restaurant was great.

As far as the "scenery" on Provo - let's just say you'd probably never go there if it wasn't for the ocean and the beach. But after 10 days, I still wasn't tired of that view.
Aug 12th, 2003, 10:56 AM

To IPM's Mom--Our last nine trips to Provo we have stayed at Coral Gardens. Too much info to post here but would be glad to help if you e-mail me--
[email protected]

Search this Thread