Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Ocean Club or Pink Sands????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/ocean-club-or-pink-sands-239055/)

Gina Jul 12th, 2002 07:16 PM

Ocean Club or Pink Sands?????

HI! Ocean Club or Pink Sands . . . Which one would you choose over the other and why? <BR><BR>

Tom Jul 13th, 2002 09:30 AM

I could offer a better answer if I knew what your tastes are, what you're looking for specifically, and your $$ limits.

Keely Jul 13th, 2002 11:07 AM

The Ocean Club is easier to get to.

Paul Jul 13th, 2002 11:08 AM

Pink Sands is on a drop dead gorgeous beach. Very serene and classy.

J Jul 13th, 2002 11:13 AM

I posted a detailed review of the Ocean Club about 3 weeks ago. As nice as you'll find in the Bahamas, but very expensive. Wonderful beach.

Gina Jul 13th, 2002 01:19 PM

Tom -- <BR>Here's what I want: <BR>peace and quiet, beautiful beach, luxury accomodations. Would probably stay in cheapest accomodations offered by each one.<BR><BR>It'd be about a 5 day vacation.

Tom Jul 13th, 2002 05:04 PM

I don't know the garden view accommodations at either property, so I'm referring to the ocean view rooms.<BR>Pink Sands is quieter with far fewer rooms and guests. Beach is more secluded and a bit prettier than that at OC. Rooms at OC are more luxurious feeling IMO, with darker more elegant feel, vs PS's lighter more tropical colors and ambience (which some people prefer). OC has bigger grounds, gardens and has more options for dining (2 restaurants plus the beach bar/grill). Service is great in both cases.<BR>Room rates for similar room types are almost identical for summer and fall.<BR>If peace and quiet is #1 on your priority list, PS wins IMO.<BR>If beach qualities are #1, PS gain.<BR>If luxurious accommodations, food options and access to resources outside the resort are most important OC is better.<BR>They share so many of the same qualities I can't believe you'd be disappointed with either.<BR>Good luck with your plans.

tweedy Jul 14th, 2002 01:47 PM

Gina,<BR><BR>Actually there are a few places on Harbour Island you might want to look into, since peace and quiet and beautiful beach is what you are looking for.<BR><BR>Harbour Island would probably be more what you seek over Paradise Island.<BR><BR>There are a few resorts like Dunsmore Beach Club, Romora Bay, Runaway Hill (our personal fav and much smaller only 10 rooms, and the best food on island).<BR><BR>Pink Sands is spectacular and all the villas overlook the beach and the water. The beach is 3 miles of soft pink sand and even during high season, not many people on the beach. <BR><BR>There are a few nite spots and a little shopping on island and the "straw market", which is a few stands on Bay St. Interesting history to the island and some beautiful homes that date back to the 1700's. Harbour Island was once the capital of the Bahamas and was well known for boat building and then during the prohibition years better known for rum, lol.<BR><BR>Interesting tidbit of knowledge the first gift to Harvard University was a load of lumber from Harbour Island, who knew?, lol.<BR><BR>Hope you have a great time and please let me know if you have any other questions on the island.<BR><BR>tweedy

dtour Jul 17th, 2002 06:32 PM

Just did a combo trip of both.OC is like living on an estate,fancy plumbing big bathrooms,beautiful grounds and neer all the noise from Atlantis.PS is lets just say it's miles away from the ordinary,almost sureal.Its own little world very laid back.The resort itself has a tropical rain forest like setting with private cottages.The cotages aren't luxurious but the atmosphere is great.Great place for honeymooners or anyone stressed out to chill out.

dtour Jul 17th, 2002 06:49 PM

I liked both,getting back to your origanal question.I love to gamble and ride jetski's, but I also like total seclusion and peace,so I mixed it up and did both.Ferry only takes 2.5 hours to Harbor Island and your in a different world of tranquility,where as Prardise Island is like the Big city.Fuck it do both and treat yourself

youcan Jul 18th, 2002 11:48 AM

How much is the ferry to Harbour island? I would love to combine a couple of days at Atlantis (for the kids), with a couble of days in Harbour Island (for us). Where can I get info on the ferry?

Scubagirl Jul 18th, 2002 03:08 PM

The ferry is $100PP for transportation only. Kids are less.<BR>Check the website at www.bahamasferries.com <BR>Combining the two is a great idea, your kids get to play at the Atlantis Water Park, and then head to the "real" bahamas. <BR>Have fun!