Ocean Club, Bahamas questions

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:13 AM
JessieJ

Ocean Club, Bahamas questions

Hi Fodorites: Am planning a surprise vacation for my husband in November and am considering Ocean Club in the Bahamas. Does anyone know how the snorkeling is off the beach there? Any recommendations/good/bad reports? I've stayed at Caneel Bay, Villa del Sol (MX)and am looking for a luxury resort that is far from crowds and on a terrific beach with great snorkeling. i definitely don't want all inclusives. so if you don't like the Ocean Club...what would you suggest? THanks for all your help, I am really excited about making this anniversary trip very special for him. Jessie J

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:24 PM
tweedy

Jessie, I would also recommend looking into Pink Sands on Harbour Island, or if you want something a bit on the smaller side and more intimate Runaway Hill.

Pink Sands and Runaway are both an easy 15 minute plane ride or a 2 hour ferry ride to Harbour Island and one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The island is not very crowded, and has several good restaurants, a deli, a bit of shopping, 2 dive shops and some of the best snorkling reefs in the carribean.

Try this website www.briland.com for more info or on Monday nights come chat with us at the Briland site on yahoo. We chat around 7pm est. You can get the address off the Briland site. Come and ask lots of questions about the island.

Hope this helps.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:41 PM
JessieJ

Hey tweedy... they both look great, but they both have dinner and breakfast included in the price and that doesn't offer much flexibility in terms of dining which we like. any other bahamas suggestions that are luxurious with good snorkeling and not with required meal plans? any other island suggestions are o kay as well. thanks in advance. Jessie

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Lisa

Jessie

Last year my husband and I stayed at the Ocean Club and loved it so much that we are visiting again this year. Here is some information that I posted last year after I returned home from our vacation:

The beach is beautiful at the Ocean Club and it is somewhat private. It is definitely much more quiet than most of the other resorts because the Ocean Club only has a little over 100 rooms. That's part of the reason that it is so relaxing and that the service is so good.

Here is some more detailed info that might be helpful.

I did not stay there for my honeymoon, but I did mention that I was there celebrating my anniversary. We were sent a complimentary bottle of champagne to our room to help us celebrate.

Also, every room has fresh fruit delivered upon arrival and champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries are delivered every afternoon.

Each room comes along with a butler who will arrange excursions, unpack your clothes, iron, and help in any way he can. The service throughout the resort is truly exceptional.

Are you considering the Hartford Wing or the Cresent Wing? The Cresent Wing is newer and the rooms are BEAUTIFUL! VERY ROMANTIC! If you go during off season the Cresent Wing is more affordable, in season, however, the new wing is VERY expensive.

We had a luxury beachfront room in the new wing and it was really incredible. The ocean view is stunning and the balcony has a chaise and very comfy chairs and a table. We had breakfast out on our balcony one morning and it was very peaceful and romantic.

When the butler provides turndown service in the evening, he puts out robes and slippers, complimentary bottles of water on each nightstand, and a small box of Godiva chocolates for each person. I am not sure if this is also done in the Hartford wing, but it probably is.

The rooms in the Cresent Wing also have a large screen tv, dvd player, and a digital radio.

We had a fabulous time. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:01 PM
tweedy

Several of the hotels on island have a dine around plan, which means you can eat in or out.

Try Dunsmore Beach Club also on island, it's very small and accomodations are villas also on the same beach.

We like Runaway Hill, small and intimate only 10 rooms, beautiful pool/deck area and great food.

You also might look into Romora Bay www.romorabay.com

Hope this helps again, let me know if you need any other info on the island.

tweedy

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:55 AM
bm

I didnt stay at the Ocean Club, but have friends who are building a house at the Ocean Club Estates and we were able to use the hotel facilities while I was down there last year. The place is gorgeous and it's restaurants are outstanding-we had a great meal at Dune. The beach is quiet w/clear water. Has a very nice pool and the gardens are extrodinary. Lot's of hammocks to relax in. If you feel the need for more "action", you can walk down the beach to Atlantis or take the shuttle. I believe you have access to Atlantis facilities by staying there (we did as guests of Ocean Club Estates members). Beautiful golf course too.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Jayne

What do the rates run at this resort.. it sounds amazing I imagine it is very expensive, but I can keep my fingers crossed .

..looking to go in the off season

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:53 AM
JessieJ

it is very expensive...i think they have a web site: www.oceanclub.com
you can find their rates there.