OCEAN CLUB AT CUPECOY BEACH

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 08:36 PM
Cheryl

OCEAN CLUB AT CUPECOY BEACH

I am planning a vacation to this rental villa resort in mid March. My last visit was in '93 and we stayed on the French side at Hotel Mont Vernon. Would welcome any information, details or suggestions about this property. Thanks !!

Old Sep 15th, 1998, 04:40 AM
kathryn hill

Cheryl:

This is a small property on the Dutch side of Sint Maarten near the French border, in the very prestigious area of the Lowlands.

We looked at the Villa's a few years ago but have not seen the inside recently.

The manager was Anita Hart (don't know if she is still there - haven't seen her lately)

In any event the location is prime - about 20 minutes from Marigot (the French capitol) and 25 minutes from Phillipsburg (the Dutch capitol).

Try the restaurant "le Bistro Gourmand" in the same area after Sapphire Beach Club on the oposite side of the road - owner is Elsa and food is wonderful.

We own a condo in that area. Let me know if you want any info on restaurants, grocery stores etc.

Kathryn

Old Sep 15th, 1998, 06:43 PM
Cheryl

Kathryn,
Thanks for your reply. I am anxious to explore the many fine restaurants in ST Maarten. Your suggestion will be high on our list.
We are traveling with another couple and will probably need to have some snacks and things at the villa.
Do you remember much about the interior? Are the grounds still well kept? I haven't been able to find anything on the web about Ocean Club except an occasional picture. I guess they do not have a website.
Looking forward to your reply.
Cheryl

Old Oct 12th, 1998, 09:51 AM
Kathryn Hill

Cheryl:

As far as the ground are concerned, I cannot comment as there was damage to trees and vegatation as a result of Hurricane Georges. However by March the trees and bushes will be in much better shape.

Ocean Club has a high wall around the property and a security gate, and I have not stopped there for some time.

Hope you enjoy Sint Maarten.

Old Nov 25th, 1998, 11:00 AM
Jean

We actually own a timeshare at Ocean Club - it's the greatest. The people are fantastic, especially Tony the "social director". The beach comes and goes on her own. When she's there, she's the best on the island - that's why we bought at this property. The villlas are great - everybody seems to get to know each other and have nightly outtings around the pool. Very peaceful. The Saphirre Club next door has karoke on (?) Tuesday nights - it's a hoot - but very annoying as well. Visit the Parrot Jungle across the road - the owners have relocated from Switzerland of all places and have over 60 different parrots - very nice. Talk a walk in the early morning down to Mullet Beach and you may see them along with their 5 german shephards taking a swim. We own unit #302 in the 4 story building - corner unit - great view of Saba and the pool area. Wonderful breezes. We also stay in the villas along side the pool for one of our weeks.

I'm sooo jealous - can I come too?

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 08:43 PM
Cheryl

Hello Kathryn & Jean,
I've been away from the 'web' and just got your information updates.
Jean, we are in Villa #14. It's supposed to be near the pool. Your comments were very reassuring. I had quite a time with our airline reservation but I finally have my ticket in hand.

What restaurants did you prefer ? I plan to followup on Kathyn's suggestions but we are open to more. I understand that they serve complimentary continental breakfast. Was it good? Also, what did you mean by saying "the beach comes and goes on her own" ???? I have never been to the Caribbean in March. We usually go to the Hawaiian island for whale watching during the winter season. I know that at our favorite spot on the northwest coast of Barbados, the beach is much smaller and narrower during the winter but your comment has made me wonder about our timing. Please expand.
Thanks and look forward to your reply.

Old Dec 4th, 1998, 08:45 PM
Cheryl

P.S. Jean, I almost forgot....of course you can come along. (smile)

Old Dec 7th, 1998, 06:39 AM
Diane

Our two favorite restaurants are in Grand Case (not a bad drive from Cupecoy). L'Alabama is on the "street" but really charming and the owner & his wife are delightful. We had such a good time we asked them for other recommendations: They sent us to L'Hibiscus where we had another incredible meal. Better even that any we had in Paris. Try the sweet stuffed tomator for desert. I'm not kidding.
We went to L'Alabama twice. Both places gave you "extras" like free after-dinner drinks. L'Hibiscus had their own flavored rums.

Old Dec 14th, 1998, 06:07 AM
Jean

What I meant by "the beach comes and goes on her own" was that if there is a large storm in the area, sometimes the surf will whisk the majority of the sand offshore about 20 feet. The locals refer to the beach as "her", i.e., "you can see her sitting offshore, she'll be back soon". It's true. One trip we arrived on Saturday and the night before a store came thru and removed the beach! By the third day into our trip the surf was tremendous and the beach was back a little more each day! I don't think the time of year matters, it's simply what the surf wants to do.

You can always count on the fact that if the beach is sitting offshore at one location, it'll be even more fabulous at another location on the island!

If you run into the problem of "she's sitting offshore", check each morning and evening, as "she" may be back.

Enjoy!

Old Dec 15th, 1998, 05:11 PM
becky

Jean: a group of us are looking for a holiday spot for the millenium. Would the Ocean Club at Cupecoy Beach be renting out units for this time period or is it already rented? Would you know the fax # or e-mail address plse? Are there any pictures of this place on the net? Are there any other condos you would recommend---the beach is very important to us & we love to snorkel.We love the island.
thanks so much

Old Dec 16th, 1998, 07:59 AM
Jean

I haven't been able to find a web site for Ocean Club specifically, but I know that St. Martin has a web site. It's pretty basic. I don't have the exact site name handy, but you can find it via a basic search engine. (Saba has beautiful site as well!)

The phone for OC is 011-5995-54432 or 011-5995-54431 and the fax is 011-5995-54434. I would imagine that the owners of the specific Christmas/New Year's weeks will be taking advantage of their own timeshares, but it's worth a check.

Restaurant suggestions for a previous post would include the Argentinian Grill (skewers, salads, steaks, etc.), Sambuca (pasta, pizza), Cherie's (daily seafood specials, pasta, salads, sandwiches), the Bikini Beach (Orient Bay) Bar (tapas on Sunday and Thursday only, other than that, great sandwich wraps and a darn good market salad). We don't really get into alot of rich French food, so I don't have many recommendations there. Zee Best in Marigot is fantastic for pastries in the morning (or any time of day!) If anybody is "into" vegie burgers, the only one on the island is at Every'tings Cool in Philipsburg and it's pretty good. The local guy that runs the barb-e-que hut on Baie Rouge does a very nice job for lunch - many family recipes.

Regarding a previous post mentioning that OC has a continental breakfast.....I don't think so.....they have an orientation meeting on every Sunday morning, and they provide juice, coffee and croissants at that, but that's just on Sundays.

Old Dec 16th, 1998, 08:09 AM
Jean

Found the web site:

www.st-maarten.com

They've expanded it quite a bit since the last time I was there. Some good pics, take a look.

PS: Baie Rouge is good for snorkeling - Devil's Needle is just off the beach - cool rock formation...

Old Dec 20th, 1998, 05:20 PM
Linda

Kathryn, We are making our first trip to St. Maarten at the end of January. We are renting a condo at the Cupecoy Beach Club and plan to cook some of our meals at the condo. Do you have any information about the grocery stores there? Is it worthwhile for us to take some of our food with us? Thanks for sharing information about the restaurants. That is very helpful to people like us.

Old Dec 21st, 1998, 06:45 AM
Kathryn Hill

Linda:

You may take a cooler with food with you if you want to. We usually take a small cooler with some of the items that we like. However there are 4 major grocery stores on the Island (3 on the Dutch side and 1 on the French side). There are also many superettes. You might want to tuck some items in your luggage that do not need refrigeration like a can of tuna, nuts, crackers, cereal, snacks. Everything is imported on to the Island and prices for most items are much higher than here in the States. You can however get just about everything you want. French bread and cheese are very good and make a nice lunch with a bottle of wine.

In the Cupecoy area there are 2 small superettes with walking distance of Cupecoy Beach Club. However what they have is limited. Go to Food Center in Cole Bay or on the way to Phillipsburg or Ram's Food world.

Cupecoy Beach is the most photographed Beach and is very striking with the cliffs in the background.

When you are there check out our place across the street at Tradewinds @ Cupecoy. Our manager is David Mayhew in #322. He would be happy to show you around and see the condo's. You might be interested for another time that you would like to go to St Maarten.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our lovely Island.