Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Oasis Akumal/Karisma Akumal(Mayan Riviera) OR Karisma Hacienda Tropical and Suites (DR) (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/oasis-akumal-karisma-akumal-mayan-riviera-or-karisma-hacienda-tropical-and-suites-dr-259229/)

Thai Sep 18th, 2002 06:23 PM

Oasis Akumal/Karisma Akumal(Mayan Riviera) OR Karisma Hacienda Tropical and Suites (DR)

Have narrowed my choices down to these resorts and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been to any of them.<BR>Am specifically interested in the usual food, beach, rooms, etc BUT especially in snorkelling on site as in right off the beach.<BR><BR>Have also read a couple of reports on the Oasis where the Italian element was a concern. I am not a racist person but if the entire resort is filled with Italians and I am Canadian and there is no one there that speaks my language this would make for a difficult time for me.<BR><BR>Thanks for any input and PLEASE be honest!!<BR><BR>Thai

tivertonhouse Sep 19th, 2002 12:31 AM

Was there when Oasis first built down the beach from the small then-fairly primitive Akumal which was a couple of huts, a restaurant with live caged fauna, a sweep of two-story accomodations astride a small bay with good snorkeling at a reef near shore guarded by a big barracuda. Dinner at Oasis was ok - but we hung out at the small beach bar or in the big tilapia-roofed open dining room for ceviche and Mexican soap opera on the radio. It's undoubtedly faster-paced now. A good base for exploring further south (Xcaret and other lagoons are now almost tourist park-y) .Also,COBA -- rent a car from Cancun<BR>the roads are arrow-straight -- the archaeological site inland an hour from the coast, TULUM early-early in am b4 tourist hordes arrive and the beaches/small places south of TULUM, which, if you're adventuresome might be a better choice if you're sensitive about being a wallflower at somebody else's noisy party... Would STRONGLY<BR>recommend 'Mayan Riviera' over DR anyday<BR>--esp.since you can get cheap packages to either from Canada.

tivertonhouse Sep 19th, 2002 03:33 AM

Addendum:See MAROMA also -- far more luxe, bigger beach (yeah, the Italians built a place down the beach but you'd never know they there...). The lagoon snorkeling, tho touristy, is definitely worth a day trip. PLAYA DEL CARMEN, the ferry port over to Cozumel, is built up but may have some packages as well -- just avoid the condos. South of TULUM towards CHETUMAL are the real gems:simple,rustic,seafood,beaches for days,if you don't mind a bit of the rough.

Thai Sep 19th, 2002 12:46 PM

Tiverton: How long ago were you at Oasis? And I think that you have misunderstood me about the Italians. I read a report that said that a HUGE chunk of the resort(Oasis Akumal) itself was reserved for Italians only. They had their own restaurants, bars, etc that no one else could use. And because there were so many of them it was the primary language used at the entertainment and by all the staff. Now I am not a racist BUT 2 weeks with NO English is just too much for me. I am used to vacations in Cuba and The Dominican where English is the most used language. I rather enjoy a nice balanced mix of Canadians, Americans, and Europeans. Makes for some interesting conversations.

tivertonhouse Sep 20th, 2002 01:30 AM

Thai -- Was there long time ago before entire coast got developed and dubbed 'Mayan Riviera'-- and it was time to move on. No need to justify your feelings,tho;I tend to run fast the other way from Germans...and I'm originally Canadian-Russian. Go figure.

tivertonhouse Sep 20th, 2002 01:46 AM

Thai--Friends of mine spend a month every year at the small beach places south of Tulum where you'll more probably find the people mix you seek - You won't get a package to these, but the rates are cheap compared to most small resorts. They <BR>hail local fishermen every morning for fresh fish/lobster and enjoy the luxury of simplicity. I was at Akumal about ,what,15 years ago, when Oasis first came in. It's separate from Akumal,the older part of the place but it shares same beach which is on the smallish side. Maroma might be a better choice for you on the other end of the price spectrum (I'd def.go back again).

patty Sep 20th, 2002 04:24 AM

Thai,<BR>I will say that for the money we spent Hacienda Tropical was a great getaway. The staff was friendly and helpful. The buffets were plentiful and tasty (we didn't use the ala carte). The shows at night were fun but a bit amateurish. The drinks were cold, the pool was clean. The beach is not white sand and turquoise water, but rather golden and green. The waves were a bit rough. We stayed in a suite, but if I was to return I would definitely stay in one of the villas.<BR>Patty

Jean Sep 20th, 2002 08:57 AM

1. Oasis Akumal and Karisma akumal are NOT the same place. I know I stayed at Karisma Akumal (it used to be Akumal Beach Resort)<BR>What I can tell you:<BR>The beach is very nice and uncroweded.<BR>There is snorkeling off the beach - exactly how good it is I cannot say - usually I snorkel with my husband but this time I had to snorkel alone and was reluctant to go out very deep by myself. Near shore I saw small schools of little fish.<BR>The resort - 2 sets of buildings - we stayed in the older buildings - which have the nicest stretch of beach but could use some renovation (every thing worked OK and they were clean). The new buildings have much nicer rooms. The food - OK - nothing special. The staff - quite friendly and helpful for the most part.<BR>2 things I especially liked about this resort:<BR>1.It is a 2 minute walk to the highway where you can get a collectivos (mini-buses) that run to Tulum or Playa Del Carmen - MUCH cheaper than taxis <BR>2. It is a 5 minute walk to the little town of Akumal beach - a couple of nice restaurants,small shops and a grocery store with the best selection of nice t-shirts.<BR>Oasis Akumal is a couple of miles further south.

Thai Sep 20th, 2002 03:56 PM

Jean; Thanks for the reply. I knew that this was not one resort ... guess that I just worded it wrong. What I meant was, that my choices were either Karisma or Oasis, and was looking for input to help me decide between the 2 of them and the one in DR. Thanks for your trip review!!!<BR><BR>Thai