Now's A Great Time To Travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may seem Pollyanaish, with gloom and doom warnings about the economy, but now is a great time to travel

I remember shortyly after 9/11, friends warned me not to fly for my scheduled November Caribbean vacation. Horrible as the event was, I calculated that the odds of my getting there safely, were overwhelmingly in my favor. I went and had a fabulous time.

Again I am scheduled for another November vacation,( Little Dix and Caneel). Once again I re-evaluated my trip plans, felt that I had planned and saved long and hard for this trip, and I am definitely planning to go.
Currently, Little Dix is offering a fantastic deal! Breakfast for two, a $60 value is included in thei $425 and above rate with their escape package. For a four or more night stay, a triple upgrade is included to an ocean cottage, which, I believe is normally priced at $700/night. As far as I see it, this presents an outstanding opportunity for a wonderful experience.

Not to get political, but if everyone stops spending, and I have observed nearly empty shops and restaurants, the economy will surely crash resulting in rampant unemployment.

So none-the-less, I have decided to proceed with my plans. As I stated to a friend, "I'm doing my duty for my country."
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 03:41 PM

i say travel when you can no matter what. who knows what tomorrow will hold in store.
dix and caneel sounds like a perfect combo to me.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 04:29 AM
KVR

I've looked and looked and can not find any good deals for November this year. Everything is about $500 to $600 higher than Nov '07, which is the only reason why we have re-evaluated our plans and decided to just drive somewhere close for a long weekend.

The airfares are what is holding us back, not the hotel prices.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Jed

I agree that it is a great time to travel. If only we could afford it. :'(

I can't help but worry about tomorrow.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

To KVR,

Look at air prices early Tuesday mornings. I saw this on a TV travel tip. I checked on my flight to St. Thomas a week or so ago, and it was significantly lower on Tuesday, than the price posted the weekend before and after. Also noted on that same flight, that it appeared that few seats had been sold in the time that had elapsed since checking before. Perhaps, if flights do not fill, in time they may reduce fares If people are cutting back on leisure travel, last minute hotel bookings may also be available. Look at the 'view' seats options in checking for empty seat flights. It never hurts to try.