Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   November Vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/november-vacation-392083/)

AlvinH Jul 9th, 2008 05:03 PM

November Vacation

We will go to one of the islands this November. Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Martin, Barbados has been suggested. We like white beaches, snorkeling in clear waters. However we do not want to spend the whole week on the beach, but would like explore other interesting sites. Which island would be best. (We are in our 60s)

RoamsAround Jul 10th, 2008 04:50 AM

The only "white sand' beach on St. Lucia is man-made and snorkeling is not the island's strong suit (there's virtually no snorkeling off of the one white sand beach). The best snorkeling on the island is at Anse Chastenet (a dark sand beach) and by the Pitons.

St. Martin has an abundance of nice "light golden" sand beaches, plenty of restaurants, lots of "off resort" activities but snorkeling is only so-so.

Barbados has some very nice "nearly white sand" beaches, some decent snorkeling (but not the best in the Caribbean) and places to explore "off-resort". Of the islands on your list Barbados comes closest for what you are seeking.

If you really want "white sand" beaches you have to visit one of the flat and arid coral/limestone based island like Anguilla, Anegada, Barbuda, Aruba, Bonaire Curacao, any of the Turks & Caicos and/or most of the Bahamas Out-Islands. Of those Bonaire, followed by Anegada, have the best snorkeling. Anegada, however, is very remote). You'll also find excellent snorkeling in throughout the US and British Virgin Islands. Many of those islands have beautiful "golden sand" beaches.

Knowing Jul 10th, 2008 06:23 AM

Barbados has beautiful beaches and many things to do for activities. Whatever you like, it's all there for you. If there is a time that you'd like to be alone - really alone - North Pointe is rather secluded. If you are interested in renting a car, that works, or you can arrange for a private driver to take you for an island tour to see "their" Barbados.

KVR Jul 10th, 2008 06:25 AM

For white sand beaches and great snorkeling with options of other things to see and do look at Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Aruba, Curacao or Bonaire. I would also suggest Turks and Caicos for beaches and clear water, but as for other things to do there is really nothing else there.

If interested in Barbados and have the time and funds definitly do day trips to one or two of the surrounding islands like St. Lucia, Grenada, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Tobago Cays, and /or Martinque.

AlvinH Jul 17th, 2008 07:31 AM

After reading your responses and many of the comments about Barbados, we decided on a Barbados Vacation in November. We worked with a Travel agent and got a very nice package at the Hilton. Looking forward to it.

We will be spending some time at their beach and some meals as well. Our preference would be places to get local food. Any suggestions?

We like to snorkel also. Suggestions?

How about Island tours?

Knowing Jul 19th, 2008 12:34 PM

Hi Alvin -
We are glad you looked no further than the Hilton. We always stay there and it is a superb hotel.
As far as tours go, we suggest hiring a driver (it's not that expensive)and it's a good way to travel if you want to explore. Go see the east coast and North Pointe. The Mount Gay rum tour was disappointing to us, but we loved everything else. The Sugar Mill underwent a massive restoration effort and is one of the largest, oldest mills in the region and is pretty much intact. The Botanic Gardens has tropical plants from all over the world. Even the shopping was great!
The choice of dining options really is endless. Every Friday night there is a weekly fish-fry in the small town of Oistins that is not to be missed. Plenty of locals and tourists flocking to enjoy the seafood.

virginia Jul 19th, 2008 02:29 PM

hi alvin, i've been following along to see which island you'd choose. i think you'll like barbados a lot.
lois swanson is a regular fodorite who has traveled to barbados for years and has compiled an awfully good "trip report".
if you email her at [email protected]
with something about fodors/barbados in the title she will send you her by now almost 30 pages of tips in pdf. includes restaurants, beaches, tours and nightlife.

AlvinH Jul 23rd, 2008 07:16 AM

I'm pleased to hear good report form Knowingon the Hilton. My concern was getting around from there. ?We hired a driver in Granada a few years ago and had the best island tour ever. How best to find one in Barbados?

Thanks also to Virginia. I will email lois swanson directly.

Knowing Jul 23rd, 2008 08:02 AM

We used Gregory and he can be reached at [email protected] or via cell at 239-8799 or 433-8813 on the island. We believe that you will find him to be very courteous and reliable.
Lois rises to the occasion with all of her tips and keeps updating her info. She helped us a great deal with our first trip to Barbados.
Have a wonderful time!

AlvinH Jul 23rd, 2008 11:27 AM

Thanks again. I've emailed Lois.