Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Non-all inclusive places on Negril beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/non-all-inclusive-places-on-negril-beach-507418/)

Jacksta Feb 26th, 2005 03:20 PM

Non-all inclusive places on Negril beach?

Can anyone recommend any one of the four beach resorts on seven mile beach in Negril:
Coco La Palm, Country Country, Charela, Foote Prints? Thanks

benj Feb 26th, 2005 05:04 PM

We have heard good things about Coco LaPalm. Try going to the message board at www.negril.com to get more info. Many locals & current visitors post there & their info is really honest. Another person that will give you straight info is Sienna Kerr. She & her husband do tours of the area & she gave us the lowdown on places to stay when we were planning our trip there. You can email them at [email protected]

Good luck!

Weadles Feb 26th, 2005 05:11 PM

Jacksta,

We just got back last night from our 4th visit to Coco La Palm. There are some minor maintenance issues ( air conditioners that freeze at night, rusty mini fridge shelves, etc.) but in its price range, I don't think you can beat this resort or its perfect beach location.

If it's available and within budget, I would suggest booking upper floor jr. suites in the #500 block ( 526 and 516 are particularly nice) because some of the other rooms nearer to the bar( 432 and 436 in particular) are very noisy at night.

Whatever you do, DO NOT book rooms in the #800 block,(this may be true of the #700 block, too) which is closest to the street. There's lots of street noise, and these rooms are very basic-- think a step up or two from Motel 6.

Another possiblity if you want more luxurious accomodations is IDLE AWHILE, which is just next door to Coco. The accomodations are newer and offer more amenities than Coco. There's no pool on site, but you do get a complimentary pass to SWEPT AWAY's fitness center, which has an Olympic pool, workout equipment, classes, and tennis.

Foote Prints, from what I know of it, is more basic than either of the two mentioned above. Maybe another poster who's stayed there can help you out with the details.

Good luck!

cartera Feb 26th, 2005 06:33 PM

For location, I would go with Coco or Charela. Country Country next. I have not heard good things about Footeprints. People we met at Coco decided to stay 2 extra nights in Negril but had to move to Footeprints to do it. They like Coco much better. They slept at Footeprints but came up to Coco every morning and spent the whole day.

CaribbeanSoul Feb 26th, 2005 07:45 PM

1. Coco La Palm (a big #1)
2. Country Country
3. Charela
4. Foote Printes (not recommended)

CCLP and Idle Awhile are the two nicest places on Negril Beach....Rondel Village is up there as well. Country Counrty is up the beach a bit and runs very perpendicular to the beach....but a nice restaurant and accomodations are cool. Charela has a great location....but if you don't have a beachfront room....I have heard many of the others are dark and musty. We are annual visitors to Negril and stay at Coco La Palm most recently for the last 4 years. My first trip to Negril was in 1985 when I was 18 and have traveled there at least 15 times since....lost count! Hope this helps you out a little!

CaribbeanSoul Feb 26th, 2005 07:53 PM

By the way....the staff at CCLP is unbeatable! A big reason why we don't even consider anywhere else anymore. But "weables" is partially correct. Be sure to book a Jr. Suite...especially a 2nd floor room. The beachfront rooms (#731-#734) are also very new and awesome! Great resort! We most recently had the room above the bar and the A/C took care of any noise that may have been created by the few patrons. In fact....we actually snuck down with baby monitor in tow and had a couple nightcaps after we put our 7 month old down for the night. For those who don't know the resort....don't panic....our room was right above the bar restaurant most accessible as one would be in their own home.

Weadles Feb 27th, 2005 04:16 AM

Caribbeansoul,

Sounds like we have a lot in common! We've been going to Negril since 1982, and also lost count!

Glad to hear that your experience in the room over the bar was OK, but last year we stayed in two rooms ( 432 and 436) just over the bar, and were kept awake nearly every night with loud parties despite the AC!

CaribbeanSoul Feb 27th, 2005 10:00 AM

Yes....my first trip to Negril was in 1985 with my parents. That trip started my Caribbean affliction. I brought my new bride there in 2002 for our honeymoon. She is now a Negrilaholic as well. Unfortunately we had to cancel our annual trip this year as we recently found out my wife is pregnant and we are building a house this year. I can see the room above the bar being noisy....we usually travel off-season and their bar isn't very busy and isn't open too late.