Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Non-AI in Negril with kitchen, no kids (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/non-ai-in-negril-with-kitchen-no-kids-167974/)

RD Jan 15th, 2003 05:52 PM

Non-AI in Negril with kitchen, no kids

Hi,<BR><BR>We're looking for a quiet, beautiful place to stay in Negril on the beach. We like to cook some of our meals, so would like a kitchen or kitchenette. We're going without our kids, so we want to stay someplace adult.<BR>Suggestions?

Eric Jan 15th, 2003 06:59 PM

Point Village... You can find them throught negril.com. They offer both All-Inclusive and &quot;European Plan&quot; pricing...<BR><BR>It's a nice place, at a great location in Negril. <BR><BR>Eric

RD Jan 16th, 2003 02:11 PM

THanks! I'll check it out.

liza Jan 16th, 2003 02:54 PM

I'm pretty sure Point Village allows kids?<BR><BR>A lot of places that have kitchens attract families...not that they are :kid places&quot; because they generally don't have any kind of structured program for them, but kids may be staying there.<BR><BR>With that in mind, check out Nirvana on the beach - nirvananegril.com or Rondel Village - rondelvillage.com.<BR><BR>Most hotels on the cliffs have no or few children because hte cliffs are high and unfenced so you might look at Xtabi, Rockhouse (not sure on the kitchen though), Catcha Falling Star, Villas Sur Mer (nice one).

liza Jan 16th, 2003 02:58 PM

...also look at Idle Awhile, their suites may have kitchens. Beach House Villas also have kitchens.

RD Jan 16th, 2003 03:01 PM

Thank you. We are considering Idle Awhile -- they do have kitchens. Do you know anything about the JR Suite there? I am looking into all the other places you mentioned. If we stay in the cliffs, then how far is the beach? Is it a walk, or a drive? Do any of the cliff places have pools?

liza Jan 16th, 2003 03:28 PM

First, the cliff hotels do have water access via steps and decks carved into the cliff, and ladders. So you can float and swim and snorkel right there. Some have pools - Rockhouse does, so does Villas Sur Mer, so does Xtabi. Not sure on Catcha. They all have web sites.<BR><BR>It's a cab ride, not a walk to the beach, unless you really like long (2 mile +) walks.<BR><BR>Every single person I know that has stayed at Idle Awhile has come back raving.<BR><BR>Trip reports/topics IA has come up in:<BR><BR>http://www.jamaicans.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000263<BR><BR>http://www.jamaicans.com/cgi-bin/ult...;f=24;t=000354

gingele Jan 17th, 2003 07:55 AM

Hi RD - <BR><BR>Idle Awhile is definitely one of the nicest places on the beach. The jr suite, w/ocean view is amazing. you will not be disappointed with that place.<BR><BR>However, for a vacation w/out the kids - just the two of you, i would highly recommend a place up on the cliffs ofver any on the beach. Rockhouse, Xtabi both have restaurants, bar, pool, etc. My personal favorite is tensing pen. do consider a place up on the cliffs - it is truly a unique place. Can't find a place like it anywhere else. a trip to the beach from the cliffs will cost you no more than a $1 or $2 US cab fare - and you wont miss the sand fleas a bit. I find that sunning up on the cliffs with the ocean below you (amazing snorkeling just steps down a ladder) beats the sand any day.<BR>happy travels!<BR>

sammy Jan 17th, 2003 12:52 PM

rockhouse is so very romatic but no kitchen in the villas<BR><BR>check out blue cave castle penthouse suite very reasonable and receives great reviews<BR><BR>www.geocities.com/negrilsbluecave/<BR><BR>for other properties on the cliffs or beach check out<BR>www.negril.com

RD Jan 17th, 2003 02:59 PM

Gingele -- I called Idle Awhile and they told me there's only one jr suite and it's a garden view. So now I'm confused. What do you know about this?Also, I'm wondering which of the cliff places is the most deluxe? While I want a &quot;Jamaican&quot; feel, I don't want it to be too rustic.<BR>

RD Jan 17th, 2003 03:03 PM

Also, which is the best cottage to stay in at Rockhouse?

RD Jan 17th, 2003 03:42 PM

Sorry, I meant which is the best one to stay at Tensing Pen? Also, no air-conditioning -- a problem in Jamaica in January?

gingele Jan 17th, 2003 04:49 PM

Hey RD - <BR><BR>Next time you talk to idle awhile, ask what ocean view sutes they have. i know there is a second floor ocean view that is very nice, it may not, however, be called a &quot;Jr suite&quot;. <BR><BR>As for the cliffs, the most &quot;deluxe&quot; place is The Caves, and Island Outpost property that is a/i, small (around 10 rooms) and very nice. Hubby and I stayed there in Nov '01. However, having just returned (Nov. '02) from tensing pen, I have to say, i really really loved it and would return there before the caves. Something very speciall about that place....<BR><BR>So, for just the two of you, I'd look at the following cottages at tesning pen - cove cottage, south house, and any of the 3 pillar rooms. And since having no a/c was no problem whatsoever in November, I am sure it won't be a problem in january. You will never miss it when you fall asleep at night, with your windows (and french doors) wide open, with the sound of the waves crashing against the cliffs below. (rather than the hum of the a/c unit!)<BR><BR>lord I miss negril!!! (a little chilly here in Chi-town right about now...)<BR><BR>feel free to email me directly with any questions. <BR><BR>AmyK

RD Jan 17th, 2003 10:04 PM

Amy,<BR><BR>Thanks for the advice. There are screens at Tensing Pen, right? I am also in Chicago, planning for next New Year's as I missed the boat for the past holiday season by not planning far enough in advance! I'm now between Idle Awhile and Tensing Pen. Maybe will consider a short stay at each. Do you happen to know which airline(s) has non-stop flights between ORD &amp; MBay?

sarah Jan 21st, 2003 11:49 AM

RD, <BR>I am in the same boat as you - contemplating a 12 nights in Negril with equal time at Tensing Pen and Idle Awhile. Can't imagine going to Negril and not being on the beach for a while - but I have also heard such great things about the cliffs (specifically Tensing Pen) that I thought it would be fun to try something new. I also narrowed down my choices thanks to this message board!<BR><BR>I am not planning on going until August. Does anyone have anything to say about going to Negril in August (crummy weather,etc?)<BR><BR>Anyway, RD - I talked to the reservationist at both Tensing Pen and Idle Awhile and they had some opinions as to the &quot;best rooms&quot;. At Tensing Pen, they said the Cove Cottage or Sea Grape were the favorites. But I don't think you can go wrong with a villa at Tensing Pen. Idle Awhile said that second floor suites were nicer, bigger and more private. <BR><BR>So, there you have it. :-) Good luck planning your trip!

beachlover Jan 21st, 2003 12:31 PM

liz, could you tell me more about villas sur mer? have you stayed there?<BR>thanks!

liza Jan 21st, 2003 01:43 PM

I haven't...we called to take it for this upcoming trip in March and it was already booked :(<BR><BR>I've gone by on the water and the road...I can tell you it's far up the cliffs.<BR><BR>A close friend of mine has stayed and highly recommends it and everyone I have talked to (online) that has stayed says it does indeed look like hte web site and is great. I'd like to tour it this trip but if it's occupied I don't think we can.

JAGIRL Feb 11th, 2003 04:38 AM

Tensing Pen. They have a main kitchen - a general dining area sort of, but no cooking facilities in the rooms. You can cook your own food if you want. There are no kids there.<BR>Lovely location...lovely rooms...wonderful property. They have a website if you want to view the property. <BR>They're on the cliff side, not the beach side, but you can go swimming and lay out on the various &quot;decks&quot; that they have. Just got back from three days there and LOVED IT!!!