Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

No one seems to have anything nice to say about St. Thomas......

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 05:23 PM
John

No one seems to have anything nice to say about St. Thomas......vacation-wise....Would it be a mistake to book a whole week at ST. Thomas? St. John, the gem, is only a 20 minute ferry ride away, afterall. Aren't there any nice, white sand, green water, secluded beaches on ST. Thomas ? St.Thomas "seems" to have more options as far as lodging, shopping, etc. (And, yes, I know, it all depends on what I/we like, etc.)<BR>Your opinions, please. Thanks.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 06:04 PM
Karen

John, this is one of the few boards that casts such negativity on a lovely island. Not sure why or if it is just a few aggressive nay sayers who get their jollies bashing islands. St. Thomas has thousands and thousands of visitors a year and can provide a wonderful destination for the same reasons you mention. I normally spend lots of time on STT and really enjoy every minute and for me the beaches, the people, the good restaurants are just some of the reasons I enjoy being there. The proximity to the BVI's for me is a real big plus! And it is more economical than St. John and the BVI's, a bit easier to get to for me and I really enjoy it! I can't see how it would or could be a mistake to go for a week. Honestly a week is never long enuf! Go to www.vinow.com and check those pix of the beaches and you'll see what I mean! Also since you are aol, why not hop over to the aol message board. There is tons of information there - what to do, not do, where2stay, not to - from long time visitors and residents who won't steer you wrong.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Benny

I guess to some people, if you post any negatives to help others avoid pitfalls then you are a "basher". So maybe we should sugarcoat everything, and write trip reports that tell only the good, without ever giving both sides of the story. So c'mon people, from now on when we give a review about an island, just list the positives but don't include any negatives, just in case that negativity will traumatize the more sensitive ones among us.

Old Nov 18th, 2001, 11:06 PM
K

I can't tell you how many times we have been to St. Thomas. We are going again in a couple of weeks. I have been with my husband and with a widow friend.(It was just us two girls that time) When I go with my husband he golfs and I shop (by myself)while he golfs. We usually spend a week and we usually do a day trip to St. John and to BVI. Whenever we do a trip to any Caribbean island we always stop off at St. Thomas and spend a week. We just can't go down to the Caribbean without spending time on St. Thomas. St. Thomas has so much to do and to choose from. You can visit the BVI which are more laid back or St. John but we usually stay on St. Thomas.

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 05:32 AM
fur

what ?? i like STT. I went there for our honeymoon 2 years ago . it was lovely. i love the beach...white sand, turqoise water. we booked at the sapphire beach club...they have their own beach...pretty good snorkeling right off shore...lovely lovely hotel resort. besides that, shopping's good. it's also convenient to hop over to STJ through ferry. i remember the cost pp is about $5 . we're planning to return there in a couple of years.