Notices

no fly access

May 30th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

no fly access

I want to go to Abaco or one of the other out islands for a 5 - 7 day stay but my husband won't fly, is there any way to get there by boat?
May 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM

The short answer is kind of. There is one boat option but only to Grand Bahama. The Bahamas Celebration sails from West Palm Beach to Grand Bahama.

The difficulty is that most of the ferries to out islands are from Nassau. So you'd have to get from Grand Bahama to Nassau and then get on another ferry. If you can even do it (and I don't know if it's possible), this would almost certainly require an overnight in Nassau both going and coming and perhaps an overnight on Grand Bahama one or the other way as well.

It doesn't seem a particularly attractive option to me, but if you have at least 10 days and want to spend 3 or 4 days on one of the out islands, it might be possible. Planning this won't be easy, though. If you want to go to Grand Bahama, the cruise line offers cruise and stay packages that have attractive rates (and Grand Bahama beaches are beautiful).

You might want to take a look at the NY Times, which did a recent article in its Travel section on the Bahamas by mailboat.
May 30th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, some potentially useful info there, I'll look into it. If Grand Bahama beaches are really beautiful, maybe that would be the final answer. I wasn't aware of "cruise and stay" packages, that sounds good.
May 30th, 2013, 02:12 PM

I can't say much about the ship itself. I don't hear good things, but it's only for one night.

Search this Thread