Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Nisbet Plantation - Nevis (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/nisbet-plantation-nevis-143757/)

Curious Jan 6th, 2003 11:49 AM

Nisbet Plantation - Nevis

How is it?

LAS Jan 6th, 2003 02:52 PM

Have been there twice--0ne of the nicest places we've stayed. Small, quiet, great food and service--can play golf at the Four Seasons a short taxi ride away while avoiding the FS costs. Would return again!

Beth Jan 7th, 2003 09:28 AM

I agree: Nisbet is gorgeous! Peaceful, beautiful, great service and accommodations. <BR><BR>Nevis itself is a wonderful island.

Curious Jan 7th, 2003 10:18 AM

Any details on the rooms, food, beach, etc.?

Sally Jan 7th, 2003 10:55 AM

Been there in 2000 - we loved it! Rooms are located in small buildings scattered over a beautiful plantation garden with lots of palms, adjoining the beach. (Regarding the beach, it was fine but a bit windy at times, with some sand blowing.)<BR>As I recall, we had one of the 'mid-priced' accommodations, not the most expensive but not the cheapest either. The 'living room' was small and basic but adequate, cooled by the breezes (no airco), with a fridge and coffee-making facilities. The bedroom was spacious and airconditioned. <BR>The restaurant was the best, we had a fantastic 5-course dinner every night, and the service staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered anywhere, from the waiters to the housekeeping staff. In fact everybody in Nevis was extremely friendly. So all in all we had a great time! <BR>Hope this helps.<BR>

Laurie Jan 16th, 2003 09:49 AM

<BR>Sally:<BR><BR>We're sort of decided on Nisbet but we'd like to &quot;go downtown&quot; once in awhile. Is that convenient to do from this resort, by taxi? Would other resorts/hotels be in a better location? We're more the moving-around/touring type rather than beach type.<BR><BR>Dinner is served at 8 pm? <BR><BR>Water taxis are available most anytime between Nevis and St. Kitts? Believe I read the regular ferry makes only 2 trips a day. Is that right?<BR><BR>Thank you.<BR><BR>

Sally Jan 16th, 2003 10:39 AM

As I recall we made a couple of tours of the island by taxi, which we booked through the hotel. The rate for the taxi was fixed in advance (but I don't remember exactly how much it was). You do need a taxi (or car) to get around. The advantage of Nisbet it that it is just about the only hotel in Nevis on the beach. (With the exception of the Four Seasons, but that is really not our sort of place.) The other hotels (Montpelier, Golden Rock, etc.) are all inland. I recall we once visited the Golden Rock and made a very nice hike through the adjoining rainforest. We also made a few trips into Charlestown with the taxi. Charlestown is small but it does have some shopping, a few market stalls and some coffee bars. Good luck and have fun!

JH Jan 17th, 2003 06:17 AM

Question for Sally<BR><BR>Did your stay at the Plantation include breakfast and dinner? I assume alcohol is not included. How were the prices? Beer prices at the bar? Wine prices? If those meals were included, were there limitations? Thanks.

JH Jan 17th, 2003 06:21 AM

I forgot to ask, I read there is a bus transit in Nevis. Is that true? Also, didn't mean to limit the above question to Sally!! All info is appreciated!

Jim Jan 17th, 2003 08:14 AM

Curious and JH,<BR><BR>Went to Nisbet for our honeymoon in June 2002 (try a search and you'll see my post).<BR><BR>I strongly recommend the romance package: 2 days of rental car (all you will need), snorkelling trip to St. Kitts (run through the 4 seasons), massage and all breakfast and dinner. Drinks are not included. Drinks at the beach bar were about $8, wine I think was around $6-7 for a glass. breakfast is a *full* meal, not continental.<BR><BR>Food is fantastic. Even the afternoon tea stuff is very tasty.<BR><BR>I didn't think Charlestown was worth more than an hour or so -- very little shopping or things to see. I would suggest the Golden Rock hike, Botantical Gardens, Oalie Beach, and a trip up to Mt. Nevis hotel for a pretty view.<BR><BR>Perhaps other places on Nevis have better individual amenities (4 seasons has better pool, Oalie has better beach) but for all around excellence at a (relatively) affordable rate, I think Nisbet is the best. And I don't think there is a nicer staff in the Caribbean.

JH Jan 17th, 2003 09:47 AM

Thanks for the information! I looked for your trip report with a search and could not find it. Is it on this board? One more question, if you don't mind.....what was the dress code? Is there a resturant where shorts are prohibited?

jim Jan 17th, 2003 11:55 AM

JH --<BR><BR>You're right! My earlier message is gone. Funny, but I'm just about positive that I posted it here. But another great message board is:<BR><BR>http://www.geographia.com/guestbook/kittsnevis/<BR><BR>Dress was not too stuffy: long pants and collared shirt (short-sleeve OK) for men, usually sun dresses for the ladies or nice pants. No jeans or shorts, as I recall. <BR><BR>Jim

Sally Jan 18th, 2003 03:48 AM

Sorry JH - Didn't check this board for a couple of days. Frankly, it has been a while and we booked through a travel agency that time, so the price we paid included airfare from Europe to St. Maarten plus a transfer with a small plane to Nevis. It also included breakfast, a Britsh 'tea'with small sandwiches and cookies in the afternoon, and a wonderful five-course meal every night. We were there for 2 weeks. I THINK what we paid was approximately $ 3500 per person, everything included. But bear in mind that this was almost 3 years ago! Anyway, of course it wasn't cheap but I thought what we got was worth it! Hope this helps...