night ferry from STJ to STT question

Mar 5th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

night ferry from STJ to STT question

if we stay on STT but want to experience the nightlife on STJ, is it scary to come back to STT 11 pm on last ferry? wanted to stay on the beach, that's why STT, more choices and for first timers, wanted resort with someone to ask questions to, help us plan day trips, get taxi's if we don't rent a car, etc. does STT Secret Harbour resort have a concierge or only the bigger resorts? won't be cooking dinner in room, don't really need a full kitchen but want a nice beach, clean room, really nice place without spending an arm and a leg. like the idea of staying on STJ but until we go there and get the lay of the land so to speak, don't know which villas, etc. Caneel Bay resort is just so darn expensive. seems like i'm getting mixed feedback on whether rental car is needed, thinking we can just get one for the day if we need to on STT or STJ? thanks everybody, we need to make our plans soon, any final thougts on where to stay, not just island but place too?
Mar 5th, 2003, 07:21 AM

Hi again. You've really been around the block on this one haven't you? I wouldn't be in the least frightened to take the last ferry back to STT from STJ. Just remember there's not a whole lot of "nightlife" to experience on St John. Some bars, some music but it's pretty quiet.
You know I'm a big fan of Secret Harbour and yes, you will be able to get help there as far as getting a taxi and making reservations and all for daytrips. You might want to consider pre-booking some activities from home though so that you don't get shut out.
You should definitely be able to rent a car on a daily basis, on St Thomas. I like the freedom of being able to come and go as I please but if you're content to only rent a car for a couple of days that would work. I'm more of a spur of the moment kind of girl! The driving just takes some care and attention but it's not difficult at all and the taxi fares add up very fast so be cautious.
You're correct about Caneel being expensive. It is worth it in my view but it may be more than you're planning to spend for this trip. Part of what you're paying for is the location and having 7 spectacular beaches right on the resort property. Keep it in mind for the future.
On St Thomas you could also look at Sapphire Beach resort. The beach there is gorgeous and they have a great Sunday afternoon beach party.
Whatever you decide, you should make reservations soon so that you'll get what you want.
Have fun!
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks Mermaid! i was wondering when someone would tell me "enough already, just do it!"...of course when you are spending your vacation time and dollars, you want it to be the best it can be, especially when your husband isn't quite as big on beach vacations and you want him to love the Carribean and go back several times! also 20 year anniversary. anyway, thanks and to a few others who have replied to me repeatedly (Knowing and Karibislander), I appreciate it! I'll be making the reservations within the next week. just think, all these messages were to get island, place to stay, and whether to rent a car (or not), then I'll start on where to eat and stuff to do! thanks again

Search this Thread