New Restaurants in Last Year or So in Cayman

Jan 29th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

New Restaurants in Last Year or So in Cayman

We've been to Cayman 8 or 9 times but our last visit was in 2007. We're taking friends with us who have never been to Cayman before and we'd like to learn about some of the new restaurants that seem to have popped up since our last trip. Would a knowledgable Fodorite care to offer some feedback on the new Brazilian steakhouse, Prime. We'd also love recommendations on any new options!
Jan 29th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Luca at Caribbean Club is pretty new and very nice (upscale Italian), from the same guys as Ragazzi.

Abacus at Camana Bay is very "urban sophisticate" style.. think Sex and the City (age and style!)... same guys as run Deckers and Prime.

Prime is a good Churrascaria.

I'm not super duper current (don't get out that much!), but those are some I have tried in the last year or so... though I tend to stick to my favs
Jan 31st, 2009, 01:19 PM
NM

We ate at Luca and thought it was good although we prefer Ragazzi. We also liked the Garden dining room at the 4-Seasons but that's not so new. We thought Camana Bay's buildings looked interesting--it's more removed from the 7-mile area.
Feb 1st, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Ragazzi's still the best pizza in Cayman?
Mar 17th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Here's our review of Prime. No one responded so I have to assume many have not yet found this in the new retail/office area just off of West Bay Road midway between West Bay and the new bypass at Governor's Square(west of the new Cost U Less). We had a great week last week and ended it with a great meal at Prime. We were the first to arrive and had the restaurant to ourselves at 6 p.m. We'd "prepped" for the meal by having a light breakfast and lunch that day. Service was very attentive from the beginning and a bevy of staff kept water glasses full, used plates removed and checked on us if we stayed "red" for too long. The salad buffet had a nice mix of items including a savory lobster bisque as well as a light full-flavored carrot soup. The chilled squid was great and not too chewy. The small serving of communal potatoes and sauces for the meat course were perfectly sized. We loved every meat offering although the brisket seemed out of place---I've never done rare brisket before and could have passed on this. The sirloin and tenderloin were wonderful, perfectly medium rare. The chicken was also tasty and surprisingly moist. By the time we left at almost 9 p.m. the place was packed and a good time seemed to be had by all. In keeping with Cayman, dining out is generally expensive. At $44 CI per person, plus drinks and desert, this is truly not any more expensive than what I'd pay at home in the DC area. We would definitely pay a vist here again!