new beaches resort in cuba how is it?

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 05:58 AM
sandra

new beaches resort in cuba how is it?

Does anybody know if the beaches resort in Cuba really belongs to the Sandals /Beaches chain, has anybody been there?

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 09:23 AM
cleo

Check out their website "www.sandals.com" it lists all the Sandals/Beaches properties. I am pretty sure they don't have a Cuba resort.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 09:53 AM
Rob

Yes the Beaches resort in Cuba belongs to the Sandals chain. It's not listed under the www.sandals.com so they do not confuse the issue in the U.S. for obvious reasons. We were there at the end of thier first offical week of being open back at the start of March .
However, there were quite a few "problems" at that time but many have been addressed as noted in the threads previously posted here, so I won't make
any comments to the status of the level
of service etc because it would be very much out of date.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 01:14 PM
sandra

Thanks Rob,
Still some questions: Is the beach a private beach or can peolpe walk along the beach? Are people trying to sell souvenirs and stuff at the beach? Is the hot tub and thinks like that o.k.? Is smoking in the reaturants and at the beach a problem since we are non-smokers and afraid of cigars, how is the diving, are the boats and tanks modern/save?
Thanks
Sandra

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 09:24 AM
Tim

Haven't been to the Beaches resort, but I've been to Varadero beach several times. There ARE folks who walk the beach selling souvenirs, etc. but they stay down by the water and are NOT allowed to approach you unless you indicate its OK. Most of the all-inclusives have security staff at the beach, and they're pretty good at keeping the vendors away. Even if you're walking down by the water, they will not hassle you (likely just smile at you) - there's absolutely no pressure (unlike the ones we experienced in Mexico). As for a private beach, these would be the only Cubans allowed on the beach - it's not open to the local folks.

Most resort restaurants (and I would assume Beaches) have smoking & non-smoking sections - we've never been bothered by cigarette or cigar smoke in the restaurants, and the beach is usually breezy enough to carry the smoke away pretty effectively. I usually have the odd cigar on the beach, and it's never even bothered my wife right beside me! Can't help much about the diving, as we haven't done that, but from what I saw & heard, the boats/equipment looked in great shape (may depend on hotel, but I would expect the Beaches resort would have decent equipment).

Hope this is of some help! Enjoy your trip!

Tim

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 04:06 PM
Sheila

Hi, I was there shortly after Rob...all beaches in Cuba are public......we never saw any locals except for 1 lady selling t-shirts. They don't bother you, and there are guards at the beach.
Cuba is like Quebec Canada......you can smoke anywhere, but never found it a problem, actually noticed cigar smoking only at night at the entertainment.
Pool is great, two hot tubs ok (I have my own at home so never use others)
Never saw anything diving, except individual tours.
Beaches belongs to Sandals...lower end of their company tho, so don't expect "Sandals flair".
It's worth the money....you'll enjoy it.

Old Aug 27th, 1999, 04:07 PM
Sheila

Hi, I was there shortly after Rob...all beaches in Cuba are public......we never saw any locals except for 1 lady selling t-shirts. They don't bother you, and there are guards at the beach.
Cuba is like Quebec Canada......you can smoke anywhere, but never found it a problem, actually noticed cigar smoking only at night at the entertainment.
Pool is great, two hot tubs ok (I have my own at home so never use others)
Never saw anything diving, except individual tours.
Beaches belongs to Sandals...lower end of their company tho, so don't expect "Sandals flair".
It's worth the money....you'll enjoy it.
Don't count on anything high tech anywhere in Cuba...it doesn't exist.
We used sea doos that had outboard motors on them !!!

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 11:46 AM
Terry

Just got back from Beaches Varadero.We were there in March when things were not so good.The resort has improved 100 %.There is soom fine tuning to be done but it is now a Sandals resort.THe food is great,the grounds much improved, the service is fantastic, the entertainment first class.BUT keep in mind this is Cuba.Thing take a little longer to get done.Most Sandals on other islands are 5*, this one would be 4*.Value for money this is the best.Any specific questions call me I don,t like typing.905-468-0400