Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Nevis Villa family vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/nevis-villa-family-vacation-545224/)

dwoznia Jul 19th, 2005 04:49 AM

Nevis Villa family vacation

Hi, I am new to this board. We recently returned from our first Carribean vacation. We spent 2 weeks on St John and loved it. We are now in the process of planning next years vacation. Based on what we have read we are drawn to Nevis. We prefer staying in Villas and they seem to have a wonderful selection. I did however notice that most of the villas do not have air conditioning. Will this be an issue in June? We found it very hot in ST John and were very thankful we had air conditioning in the bedrooms. While we had a nice breeze on our deck and were never hot there the living room and kitchen area which were not air conditioned was very warm.

christiegr Jul 19th, 2005 05:06 AM

We were in St John also during this past June.We only had AC in the bedrooms too.I don't know about Nevis but I would think that if St John was hot...you should probably try to find a villa with AC in Nevis.Maybe Sunnyboy or MIM will respond to this as they both know Nevis well. :)

lizpereira Jul 19th, 2005 06:05 AM

A beautiful villa I recommend in Nevis is www.villacaribbean.com

Breathtaking views and your own private gourmet cook.

A website you might find helpful is www.islandimage.com Click on Travel Forum.

MarionCK Jul 19th, 2005 06:42 AM

Another really wonderful website is Nevis1.com. Many villas listed there as well as much helpful information on every aspect of a trip to Nevis.

I think you may have a problem finding a villa that is completely air conditioned.

As Christie mentioned, the real Nevis experts are MIM and Sunnyboy, and I'm sure you will hear from them.

Enjoy your planning !

Marion

Sunnyboy Jul 19th, 2005 08:21 AM

Whether or not you will need A/C will depend a lot on where your rental villa is located. If it's high up the slopes of Mt. Nevis you'll find it can be quite comfortable without A/C because of the constant breezes (in the evenings it can be as 10 to 15 degrees cooler on the mountainside). If, however, your villa is closer to sea level it can get a bit warm, especially in the afternoons in those rooms that have a western exposure.

June daytime temps are usually in the mid to high 80's F. occasionally getting into the low 90's. It can drop down into the 70's in the evening. Whether or not that is comfortable for you is something only you can answer. You will find very few villas on Nevis have A/C in the living areas but a number of rental villas will have A/C in the bedrooms so given the fact you found the need for A/C when you were on St. John you might want to explore those possibilities.

As Marion pointed out, www.nevis1.com has loads of information on just about every rental villa on Nevis. Hopefully you can find one that fits your particular needs. Also the 4 Seasons resort has rental villas, many of which have A/C, they are pricey but very nice.

MIM04 Jul 19th, 2005 01:03 PM

I would be delighted to help you find the perfect villa. I assisted another fodorite in finding one. If you want, I can email you. As sunnyboy mentioned it does depend on where you are as some places get more of a breeze than others.

dwoznia Jul 19th, 2005 02:56 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I sometimes wonder how we did things without message boards. The villa moon hill that was suggested looks very nice but unfortunately we need 3-4 bedrooms. Thanks also pointing me to Nevis1.com. I have checked out all the villas and they are many that seem to meet our needs with the exception of the air conditoned bedrooms. Mim04 I would love assistance in finding a villa. Some of the ones that interested us were Hillhouse, Black Sand cove, Allamanda Sugar Hiil. I would love for you to email me with any information. That is very kind of you to offer.

MIM04 Jul 19th, 2005 04:15 PM

What is your email. I would be happy to.

dwoznia Jul 19th, 2005 05:58 PM

Thanks I did not realize I needed to include my email. It is [email protected]

MIM04 Jul 19th, 2005 06:44 PM

I just sent you an email. :)

iw Jul 19th, 2005 06:51 PM

Sunnyboy and the others that post on here, will help you make your decisions. They have a wealth of information!! A/c is always welcome after a long day on the beach or sight-seeing. We were warm at the end of June at Oualie Beach, but that is a bare bones hotel, in my opinion. The FS seemed very nice, as we toured the property. I can't speak to villas.